SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

no sound after car wash

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 01:06 AM
guku0701
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no sound after car wash

so while i was at the automatic car wash with my music on suddenly it made wierd cracking noises.i thought it was the aux cable being loose but after i came out of the wash there was no sound at all.not even the radio works.everything lights up and seems to work except theres no sound,just bass from the sub woofer.im thinking water went through my antenna and into the amp.do you think this is a big issue?is it possible to clean the amp?or if its any other part that got wet.
Old 06-06-12, 01:18 AM
Vortes
Lead Lap

Pull the carpet in the right rear of the trunk, the amp is under where the cd changer is. ive had my amp get wet and my radio stopped working too.

You have water getting into your trunk somehow on the opposite side as the antenna. (Sunroof drain tubes may be a cause of this, but i cant remember 100%)

But, you should pull that carpet and check for water and dry it off, if you dont find water, the problem may be somewhere else. If you do find water, let it dry out and it may start working again(Mine did)
Old 06-06-12, 01:57 AM
guku0701
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vortes
Pull the carpet in the right rear of the trunk, the amp is under where the cd changer is. ive had my amp get wet and my radio stopped working too.

You have water getting into your trunk somehow on the opposite side as the antenna. (Sunroof drain tubes may be a cause of this, but i cant remember 100%)

But, you should pull that carpet and check for water and dry it off, if you dont find water, the problem may be somewhere else. If you do find water, let it dry out and it may start working again(Mine did)
i will check it out tomorow morning..thanks for the quick reply
Old 06-06-12, 07:19 AM
2low2go
Driver School Candidate

Yep, you're amp got wet. There are 2 water drain tubes back there that often come undone. The first is the sunroof drain tube that goes straight down the C-pillar and connects to a drain under the amp. The other is the fuel door water drain tube. That also runs straight down under the amp. It could be the drain tubes have come undone OR the drain holes are clogged up and making the water collect in there. You may get lucky and your amp will work after dry out but chances are likely not.

Also, check the drain tubes on the left side as well as if they come undone or are clogged, it starts rusting out those cubbies in the trunk. It's a 2 second fix.
Old 07-31-12, 08:14 PM
JOHIII
Driver School Candidate

Question

Did you ever get this straightened out? There was a 5 hour downpour last night and this morning I had no sound. The radio will power on but I never get any sound from any stations or CDs.