SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rear diffuser ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 06:42 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CityKnight
and B. how much difference does a diffuser really make aerodynamically?
I mean, I don't think our cars are producing vortices or anything, so how much drag does it really eliminate?
If it's a considerable amount, then I could justify installing one.
Have you watched Formula 1 over the past 10 years? Rear diffusers have created championship after championship. They create amazing downforce at higher speeds.
Old 07-11-12, 07:44 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Have you watched Formula 1 over the past 10 years? Rear diffusers have created championship after championship. They create amazing downforce at higher speeds.
I don't mean to be rude, but Im an aerospace engineering major ... I know what diffusers do
Nobody on this forum, drives at the speeds of a Formula 1 car; even if ya wanted to, civilian streets aren't banked.
What Im asking is, what are the results of installing them on an SC300?
None of us are gonna be driving in excess of 200mph, so how much good is having one on the street, apart from aesthetic purposes only?

Last edited by SEIDO; 07-11-12 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-12-12, 02:11 AM
Tommy2JZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mean to be rude, but Im an aerospace engineering major ... I know what diffusers do
Nobody on this forum, drives at the speeds of a Formula 1 car; even if ya wanted to, civilian streets aren't banked.
None of us are gonna be driving in excess of 200mph, so how much good is having one on the street, apart from aesthetic purposes only?
i love how you know what youre talking about lol
Old 07-12-12, 02:39 AM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

he believes air friction is negligible <75mph... you should take this topic to your fluid mechanics professor so he can change your grade. JK man.
Old 07-12-12, 05:48 AM
SFrymyah
Driver

i'm not out to get banned today.
Old 07-12-12, 02:55 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

If you guys are still looking for more ideas, nsxprime has a good section on it.
Not sure how it'll relate directly to the SC, but these are some ideas and eye candies

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131044
Old 07-12-12, 05:04 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

I don't see whats sooo hilarious about my statement.
Why don't you enlighten me simply?
I didn't say it was negligible, I asked what the difference was, not that there isn't one.
However Tabaka's talkin' about Formula 1 cars as if I've never heard of, or seen a diffuser before; of course I have.
I wanna know what effect one has on the SC. Im not gonna spend a good chunk of money on a part(s) thats not gonna change my ride considerably enough to justify the cost. So tell me, how am I an idiot here??
I'll tell ya what, most of you have a variety of body kits, that hardly do jack in regards to your aerodynamics; if anything the difference is marginal. You can't tell me that your "Vertex Kit" was wind-tunnel tested, and after mounting it, your downforce increased 10-fold :\
If you guys think like that, then I got a beach house in Denver I wanna sell ya.

Last edited by SEIDO; 07-12-12 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-12-12, 05:13 PM
1startunin
Driver School Candidate

SO when is the diffuser coming out? Sign me up... Group buy..
Old 07-12-12, 08:10 PM
Jacj3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't see whats sooo hilarious about my statement.
Why don't you enlighten me simply?
I didn't say it was negligible, I asked what the difference was, not that there isn't one.
However Tabaka's talkin' about Formula 1 cars as if I've never heard of, or seen a diffuser before; of course I have.
I wanna know what effect one has on the SC. Im not gonna spend a good chunk of money on a part(s) thats not gonna change my ride considerably enough to justify the cost. So tell me, how am I an idiot here??
I'll tell ya what, most of you have a variety of body kits, that hardly do jack in regards to your aerodynamics; if anything the difference is marginal. You can't tell me that your "Vertex Kit" was wind-tunnel tested, and after mounting it, your downforce increased 10-fold :\
If you guys think like that, then I got a beach house in Denver I wanna sell ya.
Man does have a point but I think most are doing it for looks.

But back on this topic I'm going to be buying the Shine Auto CF diffuser for the MK4 and mod it to fit my SC.
Old 07-12-12, 09:52 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

^ Thank you, sir.

Last edited by SEIDO; 07-12-12 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-12-12, 09:59 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacj3
Man does have a point but I think most are doing it for looks.

But back on this topic I'm going to be buying the Shine Auto CF diffuser for the MK4 and mod it to fit my SC.

a friend of mine said that one of the rx-7 diffusers from shineauto fits the sc with the exception of making your own mounting points. Im trying to find out if it was the FD or FC "re-pro" diffuser. Will update once i find out.
Old 07-13-12, 10:00 AM
Jacj3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgdynamics
a friend of mine said that one of the rx-7 diffusers from shineauto fits the sc with the exception of making your own mounting points. Im trying to find out if it was the FD or FC "re-pro" diffuser. Will update once i find out.
I should have an email from the guys at shine talking about this because I asked about it before and they told me to use the rx7 one. I'll see if I can find it and post the info.
Old 07-13-12, 10:25 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

i ended up buying a new turbo instead.. maybe next friday lol.
Old 07-13-12, 10:13 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jacj3
I should have an email from the guys at shine talking about this because I asked about it before and they told me to use the rx7 one. I'll see if I can find it and post the info.
Im interested in knowing more about this ...
Old 10-08-12, 08:14 PM
sr71b
Pole Position

there is a white sc with a lsf rear i'll upload the pic of it saved to my phone

Quick Reply: Rear diffuser ideas