SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

LED fog lights yellow

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 02:58 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED fog lights yellow

I have a 93 SC 400. It doesn't have the fogs up front but has the side illum turn light. I really like the side illum in the city as it has saved a couple of lives already. Why anyone would go full-on Gothic black in unlit city residential unlit streets is beyond me.

I want to augment my lighting with yellow fog beams. I have seen what looks to be led strips that might even glue to the exterior and that idea of no holes in the SC certainly appeals to me. I have found strips with white leds only. does anyone know of a source for yellow LED fogs?

Any suggestions for mounting projector fogs?

Thanks,

John

jegrabe@gmail.com
Old 04-28-12, 08:48 PM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would just do the fog light conversion and get a 3k HID Kit to get the yellow effect.
Is the yellow yo uwere talking about?
Old 04-28-12, 09:12 PM
koolcat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i vote for pink fogs
Old 04-29-12, 10:12 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default Yellow fogs

Moose,

Thanks for your reply. Yours is one fine looking SC. Good work!

Yes, that is the yellow...unless I can get "amber" cause that's far better and yellow is far better than white. I like what you have done. As I recall, your vintage SC has fogs standard equip. My 93 came with white clearance lights that come on with the turn signal. Those clearance lights have already saved a couple lives so far and I want to keep that feature on my SC and "add" fogs somehow.

I saw LED fogs that were in a strip-like assembly that I thought I might be able to descretely "glue" on somewhere discrete on the front of my SC. BUT, they came in white only.

Current plan is to mount projector fogs with the PIAA 100 watt bulb down behind the grill. They won't show till you lite them off. Fabricating the mounts won't be that bad as I have access to a full-up metal fabrication shop. Would rather glue stuff with silicone if it held and looked good and held. Seems my next free Sat afternoon won't be.

Thanks for the pic of your excellent ride.

John
Old 04-29-12, 06:02 PM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

I'm not a fan of the LED strips. They never lOok good with the lights turned off. Unless you plan on recessing the strip far enough you can't see it. But then again I've always considered those for decoration and not offer improved visibility as a traditional driving and or fog light type
Old 04-29-12, 10:07 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by moosejaw2
I'm not a fan of the LED strips. They never lOok good with the lights turned off. Unless you plan on recessing the strip far enough you can't see it. But then again I've always considered those for decoration and not offer improved visibility as a traditional driving and or fog light type
Thanks Moose. I was finding it hard to believe they could be bright enuff. Then again, they are making low beams from the things...right? Are theycoming on hi end Euro stuff or am I wrong?

John
Old 04-30-12, 06:36 AM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

I think they appear bright looking at the car (from outside), but how they disperse their light pattern while driving is another question. It seems all the manufacturer's want the copy the Audi R8 Look. I know people that have done this with the RX7. Everyone i know has done the LED strips to modernize their car, not to improve lighting per se.

The new AMG E63 has this feature, I think it looks great on that particular car bc it has been incorporated into the design. However I honestly don't know if this new trend replaces the traditional fog/driving light setup. Next time I'm at Renntech, i'll check their car out.
Old 05-05-12, 11:01 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

I went with projectors. I will mount them behind the "grill". My Bud will make me a steel bracket.

Did you all Know that there is no light that comes out of the lower half of the projector lens? Inside there is a steel plate that blocks half the light. I have fed this to my computer and if half the light is being blocked, I can use 100 Watt bulbs and be legal.

My front end openings are so narrow I can't put the projector between the horizontal elements. But, as I have discovered, I only need enuff vert space for the "upper half" of the projector to peek thru to get all the light the fixture can put down the road. That much space I have. All metal housing with "glass lens".

Thanks all,

John