SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Replace dash harness plug for cluster

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-12, 12:18 AM
DrtSwinger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace dash harness plug for cluster

Hello all, my first new thread of probably a few to come. My cluster needles were bad on my recently purchased 92 SC300. After a few weeks of driving the whole cluster went dead one night while driving. Only the clock kept working. All back lights were off and gauges all in the "off" position. I figured it needed repair and had the unit sent off along with my climate control. Once he received the cluster and tested it, he only had the problems it initially had when I got the car (bad needles). When I removed the cluster I broke the tab that releases the lock for the harness plug. It will still lock in, but removal will be nearly impossible? Upon close inspection it looks as though the previous owner might have removed the cluster because that same plug has some partially exposed wires near where it looks like they used a screwdriver to pry it out. Anyways without making this post too confusing my question is:

Can I find a replacement terminal without buying a whole dash wiring harness for a 5 speed 1992 sc300? I've looked and cannot find just the terminal online or with Lexus parts. These things come apart fairly easily, so I'd hope its out there somewhere. And I've also been told the connectors for a 5-speed cluster is different from the automatic.

I've read a bad ground could have been the reason for the dead cluster issue. I like things to be right, so I will do my best to get this harness connector fixed properly as it also could be the culprit. Any other ideas on why it might have gone dead, would be great.

Side info. It's a recently purchased 167k stock sc300. Previous owner had hardwired a radar detector in using the power dimmer for the rear-view mirror. It was a twist/electrical tape kind of job, and the wire had been cut as the radar had been removed. While repairing it, I blew the "dome" fuse I believe, which I replaced. And to be specific I hardwired my V1 in with the supplied kit where I replaced the old splice. Radar and everything worked fine for at least 30-40 miles before cluster went dead while driving. Are these related? Should I take the radar out? Any help would REALLY be appreciated. I know this is a mouthful of information, but I figure I would be as descriptive as possible. Thanks again!

Replace dash harness plug for cluster-connector.jpg
Old 05-16-12, 12:11 AM
DrtSwinger
Driver School Candidate

I have since gotten the cluster sent off and repaired. He said it lit up just the way it was before nearly all of it went dead. I removed the V1 to eliminate a possible problem there. I have replaced the main battery ground cable. Checked the two grounds under the radio, they are nice and tight. Are there any other grounds to check? Could it possibly be a bad ECU? Any help on this would be appreciated....

Mods: I realize now this post should be in the performance & maintenance section, please move if you could and I apologize!

Last edited by DrtSwinger; 05-16-12 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Move forum...
Old 12-06-18, 11:43 AM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

i know this is an old thread and i hate to revive, but im having similar issues. Did you end up resolving yours?
Old 12-06-18, 12:37 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Multiple fuses are used to power the meter
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Combo.pdf (269.3 KB, 116 views)