SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

salvage title sc300?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-12, 07:00 PM
NYsNumba1M
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default salvage title sc300?

I'm on the search for my first sc300, i dont care its condition as i can do 95% of the repairs on it myself. Just finding a 5 speed with a solid engine tranny and clutch is so hard to do.....

Anyway, i came across a 95 sc300 with 119k at a used car dealership in jersey and went to check it out. Took it for a drive and fell in love with it, it needed an alignment and maybe some TLC but thats it. Exhaust sounded amazing, clutch and tranny was smooth no slipping, engine was so smooth you couldn't even tell it was on at idle.

Then i asked the dealer for the carfax, salvage title..... back in 2002. He said he doesn't know what happened, whatever the carfax says is what it says. Since then its passed inspection everytime without incident.

The body looked to be in decent condition, the interior was MINT. And i mean mint. I couldn't find a single thing wrong other than 1 bulb at 4-5k rpm out (all needles worked and lit up) all lcd screens for radio and climate control worked. The antenna was broken but that wasn't a big deal. Black seats no tears, very smooth, very soft, i felt at home sitting it in haha.

Needs new headlights as these are oxidized like CRAZY

Needs a tail light and antenna

2jz-ge Timing belt was done at lexus around 87k. Comes with INJEN intake

Trunk has this that i didn't like.....

Rear quarter was a little dinged

Missing all 4 center caps and wheels need to be repainted.

DOES have crossed drilled and slotted rotors though (brakes were amazing)

Comes with 90 day/4500 mile warranty

The not actual mileage thing is because the insurance ****ed up and wrote 14 thousand instead of 104. Mileage is consistent and legit. Carfax didn't report the airbags deploying or any structural frame damage

So yeah thats it, he wanted 3700 in the ad, brought him down to 3300 and then to 3k. Still too much for a salvage IMO. I'm going to wait a week or 2 and try bringing it down to 2500 or even less.

Another question, i live in ny and my friends have told me they're super strict about their salvage inspections. On these cars where are their vin numbers? I need to check it out otherwise it won't pass inspection......
Old 04-08-12, 07:41 PM
DrMcPho
Rookie

Basically a it all matters upon you, depends on how much you would like to pay for a salvage car. Basically, if the car is salvage there is no price tag to it. It all depends how much you would like to buy it for. But if I were you I would just wait a couple of weeks and just wait as you mentioned. GL getting an SC
Old 04-08-12, 08:10 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why was it salvaged is the big thing, was it hit, flooded etc. These cars get salvaged easily since they blue book so low! so it really depends. Don't let the salvage title deter you...it is an oem 5 Speed
Old 04-08-12, 08:14 PM
NYsNumba1M
Driver School Candidate

The guy said he didn't know. I still have the carfax and was trying to figure it out.

It hit an earth embankment but that didn't total it, it was totaled in an accident it said. No theft or fire or flood or anything like that. Its strange though, i tried to crawl under the car and look at the body and frame and nothing looked messed up. Engine bay was straight and nothing popped out as BAD to me.

The salvage title isn't whats stopping me, i need to know where the vin numbers are located because if something was changed and there aren't receipts to show they weren't stolen parts it'll fail salvage inspection
Old 04-08-12, 08:31 PM
208Soarer
Pole Position

I have owned and sold 2 different Salvage titled SC300 factory 5 spds. They were both cleanfor the most part and needed less work than the one you are looking at. I sold my White one with 185K in 2009 for $3500 (needed to have the rear end painted) and I sold my black one with 164K for $3300 in 2010. IMO they are more desirable colors than some of the other ones. So would $2500- $2800 would be a reasonable deal.

They still bring decent amounts through the insurance auctions still!!!! I am currently looking for a parts car for my clean title SC300 5 spd that needs more work than either of the 2 salvage titled ones together that I sold.

GL though which ever way you decide to go.
Old 04-08-12, 09:04 PM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

VIN #s are usually on door jams, near the bolts which attach the fenders to the body and on dash by driver side A pillar. As for repairs, look for flaking clear along rubber weather stripping, cranking paint, missing plastics, fender bolts that don't line up, trunk or hood that doesn't close cleanly, and over spray. Can't think of anything else at this time. 25-3k is reasonable. 3k drive out maybe a good offer.
Old 04-08-12, 09:13 PM
Bflatsharp
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

#1 it must pass state laws.Title you care or you dont. MINT BLACK 5 speed 119k . Paint and body $$.
Pull oil filler cap look at bottom of cap and look inside valve cover for burnt oil (flashlight).RESEARCH.
I bought a 92 5 speed no title120k for 600 saw the car 3times body was trashed did some research
dealer maintaind .Stripped car and sold about 600 + in parts, best 600 i never spent. RESEARCH.
Old 04-08-12, 09:34 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

if you are planning to keep the car until the wheels fall off, salvage doesn't matter, ask him to get it aligned
Old 04-08-12, 10:14 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the car is registered you shouldnt have to worry about inspection
Old 04-08-12, 11:04 PM
2slow2care
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't go for it personally unless you plan on making it a drift car or a drag/race car.
Old 04-08-12, 11:15 PM
The2JZFTW
Rookie

Mine is salvaged. It's not as bad as people are saying. I mean, it feels right, doesn't it? I got mine for $2,000. Techinically A.K.A. Trading for a wrecked SRT-4 that cost me 2K. You should do it. If anything, get the people on these forums to help you with the little stuff.
Old 04-09-12, 12:02 AM
NYsNumba1M
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2GSC300
VIN #s are usually on door jams, near the bolts which attach the fenders to the body and on dash by driver side A pillar. As for repairs, look for flaking clear along rubber weather stripping, cranking paint, missing plastics, fender bolts that don't line up, trunk or hood that doesn't close cleanly, and over spray. Can't think of anything else at this time. 25-3k is reasonable. 3k drive out maybe a good offer.
Alright thanks a lot, i'll check out those places. Are these 2jz engines VIN stamped as well or no?

Originally Posted by chnk
if you are planning to keep the car until the wheels fall off, salvage doesn't matter, ask him to get it aligned
Its not a big dealership so i highly doubt he'll align it for me. I'm just curious as to whether its alignment or frame is messed up...... if i hold the wheel slightly to the left it drives straight no problem. If i hold it straight it pulls to the right. Let go of the steering wheel hit potholes no problem, no bump steer or anything.

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
if the car is registered you shouldnt have to worry about inspection
Its been registered all around Georgia and Pennsylvania and jersey etcetcetc. Never in NYC, thats the problem. Its currently at a dealership

Originally Posted by 2slow2care
I wouldn't go for it personally unless you plan on making it a drift car or a drag/race car.
This would become my DD which i would most likely turn into an na-t

Originally Posted by The2JZFTW
Mine is salvaged. It's not as bad as people are saying. I mean, it feels right, doesn't it? I got mine for $2,000. Techinically A.K.A. Trading for a wrecked SRT-4 that cost me 2K. You should do it. If anything, get the people on these forums to help you with the little stuff.

Thanks, i'll try to see if i can get it for a good price like that. It felt fine to be honest, i was surprised when i found out it was a salvage. I'm deff going to be visiting the classifieds quite a big
Old 04-09-12, 07:54 AM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

The engine number is gonna be stamped on the block, but check the door jam sticker and there may be some sort of stamping of the engine number in the engine bay. Not a 100% on it, but it may lead you in the right direction. Good Luck
Old 04-09-12, 08:09 AM
food7373
Pole Position

Default 1st SC Purchase

Hey guys, I'm looking into purchasing an SC300 for my next car because my Mustang decided to commit suicide and pop out of first gear and roll into a stone wall. I currently have one I'm very interested in, but there's a major downside to it. It has a salvage title. I personally haven't gone to see the car yet because it is 3 hours away, but according to Carfax, it went into a grass bank. I can tell by the pictures ( I will attach a few ) that it was the front left or driver side. The damage was done in 2002 so I'm assuming that if it has been driven this long it should be fine. I can see that in the pictures, the front fender has a larger gap on the driver side and that in the engine bay, there was some work done t\o it too because it has newer paint and it looks like the strut is newer. The mirror also is not painted the same color. It is a 1995 SC300 w/ a 5 speed, and it is teal metallic mist, which I would like since that color is rare. It has 120,xxx miles so that isn't too bad. It also has mint black interior, which I would love. So what do you guys think I should do? I'm on a limited budget and I think I could get this one for a good price. Should I go for it? It does look a little rough, but that doesn't matter because I would clean her up good with some new items. I also am trying to get new pictures from the dealer, so when I do, I will post them. Thanks guys!

Old 04-09-12, 08:18 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1st thing that comes to mind is that the dash, upper door trim, seat belts, and air bag is poo poo brown. This car probably wasn't an original black interior and you will spend a few dollars to complete that project. The sticker on the timing belt cam cover says that the belt was replaced at 87k which is good for a while if this is at 120k. The radiator looks pretty funky, not sure if it's cracked on top but you might want to make sure it's not overheating. You've already mentioned the body damage so I won't go there. I wouldn't spend a dollar over $3,000....even with the 5spd. Hope you stick around if you choose this car or another.

Quick Reply: salvage title sc300?