SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Has your SC ever left YOU stranded?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 07:13 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 440 Likes on 363 Posts

The fuel pump ECU started gong out on me two months after I bought my SC and it's left me stuck at home or in random parking lots a few times. It eventually got stuck in the parking lot at a car audio shop while I was getting work done and we had to bypass the ECU right there in order to make the car start.
Old 04-08-12, 12:18 AM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you know its the fuel pump ecu and not the fuel pump?
Old 04-08-12, 03:40 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i found it to be that the fuel pump ecu jump is just a temporary fix to another problem. after i had my main ecu rebuilt i plugged the fuel pump ecu back in and it ran fine. before it wouldn't start without the jump... maybe just a coincidence though
Old 04-08-12, 05:30 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 440 Likes on 363 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by aristo123
How do you know its the fuel pump ecu and not the fuel pump?
That's a good question. I spent a lot of time researching the issue on here and on Supraforums. I tried the bypass and it hasn't died since. It's started up every time without fail.
Old 04-08-12, 06:25 AM
tuobeb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waterpump went out but luckily I made it to the house and had it changed in about 2 hours. Then a couple months later the fuel pump ecu went out and had it fixed in about 10 mins. The fuel pump ecu is the only thing that has left me "stranded".
Old 04-08-12, 08:25 AM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car starts with no problem but when the car is in motion and Im driving it hesitates at about 60 mph and usually at 1900 rpm. The fuel filter was the original from Toyota and the car has 130k. When I replaced the filter the car actually ran better and my mpg has improved dramatically.my friend who is an ace certified tech says that because my filter was so clogged that it caused the fuel pump to over work and may have caused some damage. I have ran fuel injector cleaner twice now(seafoam and gumout). should I replace the pump even though it has not failed?
Old 04-08-12, 01:25 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

I would...when my fuel pump was on its last leg the car ran, btut died when I shifted outta park
Old 04-08-12, 02:21 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kira X
The fuel pump ECU started gong out on me two months after I bought my SC and it's left me stuck at home or in random parking lots a few times. It eventually got stuck in the parking lot at a car audio shop while I was getting work done and we had to bypass the ECU right there in order to make the car start.
This is exactly what happened to me, except i was at the gym. You aren't alone in this my friend.
Old 04-08-12, 04:22 PM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

My alternator went about a year after I got the car. It left me stranded in the middle of nowhere on a rainy night but fortunately my g/f (now wife) lived nearby. 8 months later the alternator went again. I replaced the alternator again and replaced the o-ring on the distributer and haven't had anymore trouble out of it.
Old 04-08-12, 04:51 PM
JustChill
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine just got me today. Fuel pump ecu went bad. Did they 12v mod and saved my booty! LOL
Old 04-08-12, 05:44 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustChill
Mine just got me today. Fuel pump ecu went bad. Did they 12v mod and saved my booty! LOL
Hahaha...i knew you were gonna post up in here.

My first one did, like 30 min after owning it. The fuel gauge was stuck at full tank (i thought it was full) got about 25 miles when the car started bucking and i pulled over and barely made it into gas station. Couldn't figure out what was wrong, then some smoking hot chick in del mar says "does it have gas?" i was like yeah duh the needle says full, sure enough it was empty!! haha...
Old 04-08-12, 06:30 PM
sc300lexii
Driver School Candidate

hey guys im sorry and desperate i have a 1995 sc300 Here is where the problem came up, when I turned the car on it started up immediately but just as quick as it started it died. I tried several more times to turn it back on thinking the gas wasn't through the fuel lines so I hoped it was just cycling through, but no, it kept turning off, it left me stranded at a gas station would the 12v mod help this ? if anyone could answer this it would help alot
Old 04-08-12, 06:52 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc300lexii
hey guys im sorry and desperate i have a 1995 sc300 Here is where the problem came up, when I turned the car on it started up immediately but just as quick as it started it died. I tried several more times to turn it back on thinking the gas wasn't through the fuel lines so I hoped it was just cycling through, but no, it kept turning off, it left me stranded at a gas station would the 12v mod help this ? if anyone could answer this it would help alot
Honestly, I think it would help because most stories I've read regarding the fuel pump going out involves the car starting fine, but then dying afterward. You don't have much to lose if you try, its really easy.
Old 04-08-12, 07:02 PM
sc300lexii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by durps
Honestly, I think it would help because most stories I've read regarding the fuel pump going out involves the car starting fine, but then dying afterward. You don't have much to lose if you try, its really easy.
i want too try it. but my check engine light is on after the mod will it go away?
Old 04-08-12, 07:14 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Did the check engine light turn on after the incident, or was the light on before that?
I don't think a bad fuel ecu would cause a check engine light on, but i'm just taking a shot out in the dark here.

Quick Reply: Has your SC ever left YOU stranded?