SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Want a Top Secret style hood for your SC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 07:34 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No more updates at this time. I've been focused on the trans and ducting. I gave up on trying to align it because i dont have the hood pins, correct hood bolts. I hope to have updates next Monday.
Old 07-09-14, 07:25 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed the same thing(s).

The area at the top looks like it wasn't sanded-down enough, and the areas at the bottom are all wavy ... Granted, it's functional; but you couldn't rock this hood at a car show. It's not sharp.

Also, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, since it could just be a bad picture; however the vents don't appear level at all ...

Last edited by SEIDO; 07-09-14 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-10-14, 12:26 AM
maaaaackle
Driver School Candidate

man...hood looks real nice but that pic makes me reconsider.
Old 07-11-14, 10:02 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if im gonna pay 500+ it better be perfect, and i do want the carbonfiber one.. i need to see the weave and sharp crisp edges.. for 500 i could have the stock hood cut and made into a topsecret hood, but i want carbon, cause stock hood is frekkin heavy.
Old 07-11-14, 12:14 PM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

I think they new a new mold designer...
the fitment is awful. probably didn't get the shrinkage right...
I give them props for trying, but the quality is just not there.
nothing is straight or even. very very poor quality. im surprised you guys passed this on a quality level.
as an injection engineer myself, I understand the complexity and cost of a good mold design, but it pays off in the end.
Old 07-11-14, 03:31 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mecheng10
I think they new a new mold designer...
the fitment is awful. probably didn't get the shrinkage right...
I give them props for trying, but the quality is just not there.
nothing is straight or even. very very poor quality. im surprised you guys passed this on a quality level.
as an injection engineer myself, I understand the complexity and cost of a good mold design, but it pays off in the end.
i just watched an hour long tutorial on how to make your own carbon fiber hood. i was mind blasted but i wanna try it. need to save up like 300 bucks for materials and give it a try, probably next summer lol
Old 07-12-14, 11:59 PM
Sylexus
Driver

Originally Posted by CityKnight
I noticed the same thing(s).

The area at the top looks like it wasn't sanded-down enough, and the areas at the bottom are all wavy ... Granted, it's functional; but you couldn't rock this hood at a car show. It's not sharp.

Also, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, since it could just be a bad picture; however the vents don't appear level at all ...

You do realize that last pic has the car slightly tilted, which is why they aren't lining up....

You're drawing a straight line on a tilted picture.
Old 07-13-14, 05:00 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylexus
You do realize that last pic has the car slightly tilted, which is why they aren't lining up....

You're drawing a straight line on a tilted picture.
Yup, he just mad they made it and its not his "style" as he continues to bash it.
Old 07-15-14, 06:41 AM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah... It's pretty obvious that your official red lined "measurement" is what is way off... Please...

I don't even like this hood, but... Let's take 5 seconds, and keep in mind that I am sure the angle they took it from was off too- but seriously... Look at your line.

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 07-15-14 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-15-14, 06:50 AM
MrCJ305
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
im sorry but is that the final hood? cause that looks horrible.. im sorry but the corners look terrible!!! the right corner over the headlight is like super round and the corner on the other side is sharp.. the mold pics looked perfect and that looks... if i got that in the mail id be pissed.. just giving my opinion.. if i pay 500+ for something i expect it to at least not need to be reshaped.. corners need to be sharp clean crisp, not tick and rounded. the mound looked flawless not sure what happen in the process.. maybe camera trickery.. im not saying i wont buy one but i would like a carbon one, and the carbon better be perfect.. cause unless you are gonna paint the carbon, if its off like that there is nothing that can be done.. everything else seems allright cept the corners and the front edge?
Hood looks like it was rushed to be produced. Fitment looks good but the shape of the hood looks horrible. From this view I see several issues one being over the driver headlight, the wavy front portion of the hood line where it meets the bumper, and the hood bolt issue. Wish VIS was the one producing or SEIBON because they don't rush and they seem to always be dead on with their products. This is just horrible
Old 07-15-14, 03:08 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrCJ305
Hood looks like it was rushed to be produced. Fitment looks good but the shape of the hood looks horrible. From this view I see several issues one being over the driver headlight, the wavy front portion of the hood line where it meets the bumper, and the hood bolt issue. Wish VIS was the one producing or SEIBON because they don't rush and they seem to always be dead on with their products. This is just horrible
To be fair Seibon's product is more then double the cost of Extreme Dimensions, but this is exactly why Extreme Dimensions needs to step their game up. In the end a body shop will have to fix this up for a few hundred most likely, and then you wind up losing as you could have just bought an authentic Seibon carbon fiber hood.

I understand that if you're going to have the worst fitment you're going to have the cheapest product, but you should refocus on quality and fitment, then come in at a higher price point to make more money.

I wanted this hood when they first announced it, but I have to pass. Looks like someone made it in their garage, and smoothed sanded down the corners too much. It actually makes me want to grab a hood from the junk yard and see what I can do to it.
Old 07-15-14, 04:54 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrCJ305
Yeah, 'cus Im the only one bashing it, you guys.

The line was just an example; and even when you straighten it, it still looks off to me.
Regardless, the hoods obviously incorrect. Everybody can see that; so whatever

I dunno why the few of you are only giving my comments a hard time.
Its not my style? Really? Is that the reason Im being critical?
How 'bout - That hood looks awful … Yeah I think thats the real reason.

Last edited by SEIDO; 07-15-14 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 09:28 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Yeah, 'cus Im the only one bashing it, you guys.

The line was just an example; and even when you straighten it, it still looks off to me.
Regardless, the hoods obviously incorrect. Everybody can see that; so whatever

I dunno why the few of you are only giving my comments a hard time.
Its not my style? Really? Is that the reason Im being critical?
How 'bout - That hood looks awful … Yeah I think thats the real reason.
it does look bad, that's it. constructive criticism is a bee-otch, take it or leave it
Old 07-16-14, 10:46 PM
Jdmsc5spd
Driver School Candidate

I would be interested but with that fitment I'll wait I have extreme dimensions lip don't like the fitment
Old 07-17-14, 09:55 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the vents are fine, the edge of the hood is hella off and not crisp. the mold needs to be 10000000% flawless.. i wanna see the carbon weave on the carbon hood and the edges cleaned up. car industry is harsh, im not being rude, i genuinely want this hood in carbon but if you cant pull it off, word gets around fast then no one is gonna buy anything from you. i seen people make carbon hoods and molds at their house within a month tops and it looks flawless.. i would think a company could do the same in less time more efficiently.. if i paid money and that hood showed up at my house id be furious. bring up the quality and im sure people wouldnt mind an extra 100-150 bucks for a flawless item..

Quick Reply: Want a Top Secret style hood for your SC?