SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New member, new-to-me 93 SC300

Old 02-20-12, 03:54 PM
SFrymyah
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, new-to-me 93 SC300

Hey guys!

First off, I want to say that even though my post count is pretty low and my join date is fairly recent, I've been lurking and researching this forum for about a year now. I had a 97 Eclipse GS-T making about 380 to the ground that I sold with the intention of getting into an SC300 and going single turbo 1JZ. I sold the car and the search went on and on and on. I eventually gave up and found my way into a 03 WRX. Just as my luck would have it, I bought the car and unbeknownst to me, it had a blown engine. I fixed it, put 4,000 miles on the car and came off of it, letting the search start again.

This past Saturday, I found it. A 1993 SC300 5-Speed with a little over 185K on the clock. Exterior wise, the car is in really good shape. The only thing it really needs is fresh paint on the front bumper, but I'm planning on converting it to 97+, so its really not a huge deal to me.

The interior is in pretty decent shape too as you can see with the exception of a tear in the drivers seat. If I don't convert to black, I'll for sure have it covered within the month. The cup holder in the dash is also missing, but obviously not a big deal. The passenger side window has issues going up and down which I assume is the plastic in the regulator about to fail. That'll probably be fixed by the time you read this. I've already ordered a new LCD screen for the bleeding climate control Additionally, the passenger side interior door handle is broken. Lastly, the speedometer and tach needles don't light and the coolant level needle is about to fail as well.

The suspension seems to be the real issue. The power steering bushings are so worn you can hear the rack bang around while the car is sitting still in the garage when you turn the wheel. I nearly wrecked the car twice getting it home because theres more than 45 degrees of play in the wheel - once you turn it to the point where the rack won't move anymore, it darts at high speed across the road. The drivers side lower ball joint is coming apart. On the bright side, i've got 4 brand new tires!

Since I've had it, I've ordered a lot to remedy the issues I'm having. Like I said, The Climate Control screen is headed to my door. Driftmotion sent my aluminum rack bushings today. Zach at Sonic Motor hooked me up with a set of Megan EZ Streets today. I got a smoking deal on a set of XXR 527's from Next Level Motoring - I'll be going 18x8.75 up front and 18x9.75 in the back both with a +20 Offset, in Matte Bronze. They'll be wrapped in 245/40's up front and 265/35's out back. i'm sure I'll probably find a few more issues once I get the car on stands, but I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track to resolving my suspension issues.

With all that said, I've got a few questions for you guys -

1 - If you look below, you'll see I've got some strange rust and paint wear on the fenders and hood. Is this normal? I can see this being a pretty weather intense area if it hasn't been cleaned under the hood, but I thought it was strange that it was only in the Hood to fender gap.

2 - Where in the hell can I get a replacement door handle?

3 - Seat covers - Breaking the bank is not an option. I can't seem the locate the Iggee covers that people have mentioned on here - Is there an affordable substitute?

4 - Is there anything in particular in the suspension that I need to address?

5 - Where can I get reasonably price floor mats?

6 - Gauge cluster needles - this is going to drive me nuts. I've probably logged 10 hours trying to figure this out. Where can I get new ones or can anyone point me in the correct direction to repair them? Lextech is not an option for me.

I think thats it. I'm sure I'll think of more as this thread goes on. I feel like i've got a pretty decent starting point though! On to pics - This is how its currently sitting in my garage and i'm about to go get the damn tape off the window! Tell me what you think!

Here are the strange wear marks i was talking about - any input?

Ghetto fabulous strap is going away tonight lol

Thanks for reading guys!
Old 02-20-12, 04:14 PM
JPKeiichi
Driver

welcome! goodluck on the conversion and upgrades
Old 02-20-12, 04:47 PM
Mr.1.5
Lead Lap

Hope you enjoy!
Old 02-20-12, 05:28 PM
SadPanda
Driver School Candidate

5spd. Baller. Looks like a really solid base car to start with.
Old 02-20-12, 05:34 PM
alex425
Driver

The hood ad fender rust could possibly be from a slightly misaligned hood. And all the content over the years took away the paint and cause it to rust. That's my educated guess
Old 02-20-12, 05:34 PM
DrMcPho
Rookie

woow looks real good, the wear marks look like rust but idk :O
Old 02-20-12, 05:37 PM
SFrymyah
Driver

Its obviously rust, but I'm mind boggled why it didnt spread. Looking at it, you can tell its been like that for a while. The inner fender is totally rust free.
Old 02-20-12, 06:13 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Change the bushings out ASAP! That's so dangerous. Looks also to be agreat start. Glad to see you are with the SC community now!
Old 02-20-12, 06:53 PM
SFrymyah
Driver

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Change the bushings out ASAP! That's so dangerous. Looks also to be agreat start. Glad to see you are with the SC community now!
Bushings are in the mail! I'm terrified of the car right now lol.
Old 02-20-12, 07:11 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great start amd Welcome, another Carolinian...what part are your from?
Old 02-20-12, 07:13 PM
SFrymyah
Driver

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Great start amd Welcome, another Carolinian...what part are your from?
A little north of Charlotte, how about yourself?

Also, just scored some LS400 Brakes!
Old 02-20-12, 07:18 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SFrymyah
A little north of Charlotte, how about yourself?

Also, just scored some LS400 Brakes!
Originally Clayton/Raleigh area...was stationed at FT Bragg. Now I'm hanging out in LA for about a year. Car is stored, got big plans in the future.
LS Brakes, definitely a nice touch!
Old 02-20-12, 07:26 PM
DubbStep
Pole Position

Welcome .... Nice find btw...

As far as ur seats , Lots of people talk about http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-2000-Le...item1e5fb7a4f5
Seem to not to bad for the price.....
Old 02-20-12, 07:57 PM
SFrymyah
Driver

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Originally Clayton/Raleigh area...was stationed at FT Bragg. Now I'm hanging out in LA for about a year. Car is stored, got big plans in the future.
LS Brakes, definitely a nice touch!
I'm originally from Rocky Mount, so whenever you're back, I can stop by on the way home!

Originally Posted by DubbStep
Welcome .... Nice find btw...

As far as ur seats , Lots of people talk about http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-2000-Le...item1e5fb7a4f5
Seem to not to bad for the price.....
I noticed these, but for that price I'd rather buy new seats.
Old 02-21-12, 09:20 PM
SFrymyah
Driver

Just came in from messing with the car, Mostly the power steering rack and one word - WOW.

I was getting the rack apart to install my new metal bushings for when they come in. The front bushing was totally evaportated. Down to metal. To make it better, the bolt was finger tight.

I moved on to the back one after i finished the front. I was having a really hard time getting to it, then I suddenly realized why - IT WAS GONE. Nut, bolt, washers, bushing EVERYTHING was gone, not even in the car. I have no idea how i drove this thing almost two hours back home!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member, new-to-me 93 SC300