SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 07:42 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It doesn't look bad but its pretty bad. Someone was making a left turn directly into the right lane which i was traveling in. Speed limit was about 45. i was going about 50. i swerved to the shoulder to avoid the collision but for some odd reason he also switched into the shoulder and I tried to switch back to the roadway but it was too late. My right side connected and sent him flying about 100 ft into the bushes.

i of course immediately started fish tailing and lost control eventually doing a 180 sliding backwards about 30 ft before i hit the center barrier curb. my rear wheels were on the curb.

It was in Perth Amboy and was a Honda civic of course. SMH
Old 02-12-12, 08:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

so..... just out of curiosity did you do damage to the passenger rear as well or did that not contact the barrier? I'm trying to get a visual of the reverse powerslide.
Old 02-12-12, 08:48 PM
AltezaFan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dam civics... Haha I don't know how the drivers side would be affected if the collision was on the passengers, did your engine bay move on the inside?
Old 02-12-12, 08:58 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScBouncE

It was in Perth Amboy and was a Honda civic of course. SMH
Oh damn, sorry about your mishap.
I'm gambling here but I'm willing to bet it was a riced out Honda lol. I live near Perth Amboy and just about every Honda there is riced out with a fart can on the exhaust haha, even the stock slow ones.
Old 02-12-12, 09:31 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to see this man. Looks totaled to me though. I don't think some people are considering the cost of new oem parts. The 97 bumper alone is around $700. Just with the cost of parts the insurance could decide its a total loss.
Old 02-12-12, 10:11 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

What a waste of a 97
Although it looks like your bumper is only affected, maybe the fender and hood are a bit warped though.
Old 02-12-12, 11:18 PM
FAT HEAD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry man, hope it can be fixed
Old 02-13-12, 02:06 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
so..... just out of curiosity did you do damage to the passenger rear as well or did that not contact the barrier? I'm trying to get a visual of the reverse powerslide.
Na, no damage to the rear at all. The center barrier wasnt a wall. Kind've like a sidewalk dividing the two-way traffic.

Originally Posted by AltezaFan
Dam civics... Haha I don't know how the drivers side would be affected if the collision was on the passengers, did your engine bay move on the inside?
Prior to the accident, my door made a clinging noise upon opening it. I'm pretty sure this just made it worse or actually just shifted everything.

Originally Posted by durps
Oh damn, sorry about your mishap.
I'm gambling here but I'm willing to bet it was a riced out Honda lol. I live near Perth Amboy and just about every Honda there is riced out with a fart can on the exhaust haha, even the stock slow ones.
Tell me about it .. I work in this town
Old 02-13-12, 02:16 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Okay so took some afternoon pics. These could determine if the frame is bent i think. Although I still couldnt open the hood

My bumper is rubbing on my tire here

Side view

Door doesnt open more than this

Top View

lemme know what you guys think. Again, thanks for all the help.

-BouncE
Old 02-13-12, 09:01 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Okay so took some afternoon pics. These could determine if the frame is bent i think. Although I still couldnt open the hood

Door doesnt open more than this

lemme know what you guys think. Again, thanks for all the help.

-BouncE
That gap/space between the fender and door looks (totaled) bad.
Old 02-13-12, 02:39 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Anything other than minor cosmetic damage will = total loss on a car of this age. You can choose to have the insurance co pay to repair instead of total it. But it will carry a salvage title which makes the car pretty much worth nothing.
Old 02-13-12, 02:51 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
Anything other than minor cosmetic damage will = total loss on a car of this age. You can choose to have the insurance co pay to repair instead of total it. But it will carry a salvage title which makes the car pretty much worth nothing.

i just wanna get the most possible money i can get awarded. i really don't want the car to be honest as harsh as it sounds especially since the door has issues too.
Old 02-13-12, 02:54 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

i just wanna get the most possible money i can get awarded. i really don't want the car to be honest as harsh as it sounds especially since the door has issues too.
Yea, I feel the same way, it won't even drive the same. I'm pretty sure it will be a total loss. Be prepared to fight tooth n nail to get the actual value of the car from them however, insurance companies tend to lowball when it comes to paying out for older cars.
Old 02-13-12, 03:21 PM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
Yea, I feel the same way, it won't even drive the same. I'm pretty sure it will be a total loss. Be prepared to fight tooth n nail to get the actual value of the car from them however, insurance companies tend to lowball when it comes to paying out for older cars.
Thanks, that's good to know. Is there any chance realistically that i get 5 grand or more in terms of insurance?
Old 02-13-12, 03:23 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

start researching pricing for sc's - same year, color, mileage, etc. in your area to compare to the offer they will send you when it is determined to be a total loss.

Quick Reply: totaled?