Does this car hate me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-12, 02:00 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Does this car hate me?

This gat damn car drives me nuts.

Went to lunch earlier today with my fiancee and was headed back home on the highway. We were driving around an exit ramp when I lost all feeling in the gas pedal. All electronics, engine, etc remained on. After about 5 or 6 seconds the car finally got some power back and I drove in the right lane for another 1/8 mile. Then, same thing...engine doesn't stall but I lose all power in the gas pedal. I pulled to the side of the shoulder and shut her down. Started right back up with no problems and I got the feeling of gas back. No CEL or indicator light popped up. Earlier this week I got a CEL for code #52 - Knock Sensor. I have yet to replace it as it's only been a few days. After reading many threads about the knock sensor on CL and SF, this doesn't sound like the power loss I experienced today. I managed to safely bring her to my fathers driveway a few miles down the road but felt the same loss of power several times. Luckily he let me borrow his car for the weekend. I'm going to get it towed to a shop on Monday for analysis. What do you guys think? My first thought was fuel related as the electronics and engine remained on but the car had no power.

Fuel pump

Fuel pump ECU

List of mechanical parts that this car has raped me of in the past 15k miles:

Timing belt, waterpump, distributor, distributor cap, rotor, wires, powersteering pump, clutch fan, radiator, thermostat, IACV, MAF, battery, battery connectors, and starter.

Last edited by Tabaka; 02-11-12 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-11-12, 02:05 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn shane your car is has some gremlins in it. what do you mean lost the feeling of the gas pedal? do you mean it felt as if the cable was not connected or it just didnt do what u wanted it to do
Old 02-11-12, 02:14 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

It felt like no fuel being sent to the motor. The pedal "feeling" like cables or tension was fine. Wouldn't have been a big deal if I was by myself. But to danger my woman is a bad thing. Of course her immediate response was "I hate this car, you need to sell it".
Old 02-11-12, 02:30 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

i take it this isnt an issue that happens all the time but i would check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail. and if that doesnt check out i would check for voltage and resistance at the pump
Old 02-11-12, 02:42 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Nope, first time this has ever happened. I have no experience with checking for fuel pressure or voltage at the fuel pump so I will have to drop this car off at an independent mechanic on Monday. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-11-12, 02:45 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

The car does not hate you but it is uneasy about your girlfriend making it to the next level.
Old 02-11-12, 02:45 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

You did say, ":fiance", right?
Old 02-11-12, 02:46 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Did you notice whether it was happening at any particular RPM? Mine was cutting out (I think that is the proper description) like that after I replaced the head gasket.
Old 02-11-12, 02:48 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

I am still dealing with some of the gremlins but, in my case, it seemed to be the MAF. I would accelerate and everything would seem fine for a few miles and then the engine would just die. It was exactly like I turned off the ignition key except, of course, the steering wheel lock did not engage.
Old 02-11-12, 02:53 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WadeLovell
You did say, ":fiance", right?
snap

missed the second "e" on the end. I had the same MAF issue you mentioned last summer. The car would shut off on me non stop but this wasn't the same feeling. I replaced the MAF with a used unit and it's worked flawlessly for 6+ months. Of course I've had various other issues but today was very strange. I've never pushed on a gas pedal and felt no acceleration before.
Old 02-11-12, 03:02 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn man. Now I know what you meant when you said you wouldnt trust it for a trip over 50 miles. GL
Old 02-11-12, 03:14 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, is your car an SC3 or SC4? The only other thing I can think of aside from a fuel related issue would be maybe the throttle position sensor, o2 sensor (but that would trigger a CEL) or something butterfly valve/throttle body related.
Old 02-11-12, 03:33 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Car is stock (minus suspension and wheels) 1995 SC300 5spd. Since I drive it daily I prefer to keep it non-boosted.
No idle issues, butterfly was cleaned by me in the fall. I also replaced the IACV as well. Car ran perfect in the morning without any hesitation. I would assume that if a pump started to fail, I would feel it gradually... but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 02-11-12, 03:38 PM
myke441990
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me. I had to bypass my fuel pump ECU.
Old 02-11-12, 04:36 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn man, sorry to hear about your luck in the last 15k miles. hope things looks up.

Quick Reply: Does this car hate me?