SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Going to the Paint booth..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 05:51 PM
Axmily
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Going to the Paint booth..

Hey guys im sending my SC off to paint to get repainted Torrid Red.. was currious on peoples opinions on Single Stage Paint?? the guy does great work and has painted alot of my buddies cars but have any of you ever had a car with single stage paint and the quality??
examples of Torrid red:

Old 02-04-12, 06:54 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That paint looks deep and wet looking. Great job, but may see flaws up close and personal. It does appear really good work in the photos.
Old 02-04-12, 07:12 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Axmily
.. was currious on peoples opinions on Single Stage Paint??
my opinion can be described by the facial expression:

unless youre painting it yourself. and even then id say only single stage because youre not PAYING for labor and have the option to go back and redo it if you feel the need.
Old 02-04-12, 08:37 PM
Axmily
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by greens14
my opinion can be described by the facial expression:

unless youre painting it yourself. and even then id say only single stage because youre not PAYING for labor and have the option to go back and redo it if you feel the need.
LOL yea its gonna be cheap to get it painted... im just tired of looking at my ruff paint it feels really grity
Old 02-04-12, 09:48 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same problem, the paint itself is still healthy, meaning shiny and thick. But the rock chips and some scuffs and scratches(deep enough that can't be dealt with detailing anymore) are too much that it ruins the whole look of the car.. Mine is MIP so since it's dark color you can see the imperfections from a mile away! Anyways, from all the threads I've read, they'd always say to go save up your money for a real good great paint job rather than doing it for the sake of doing it, then you'd find yourself redoing it again...
Old 02-04-12, 09:56 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Pay for the dual stage so you can sand the clear and get it smooth or you're going to be looking at bad orange peel that's worse than faded paint.
Old 02-04-12, 10:09 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

what olt said. it shouldnt be much more either.
Old 02-04-12, 10:15 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

There's nothing wrong with a properly applied single stage paint. They can sometimes look better with solid colours, maybe not with metallics. Factories originally started using clear coats because it was a cheaper way to paint a car.

If you do it yourself, you'll pay more for single stage paint than base/clear but, may save in painting steps.

Quality depends on the person applying it!

-[=Photon=-
Old 02-04-12, 10:20 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

single takes far more attention to maintain a good finish, plus lacks the same longevity etc etc etc. its just not worth doing unless youre practicing or will redo at will some other time.
Old 02-04-12, 10:31 PM
Axmily
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by greens14
single takes far more attention to maintain a good finish, plus lacks the same longevity etc etc etc. its just not worth doing unless youre practicing or will redo at will some other time.
alot of my dads friends are in the hot rod community and they have had single stage paint on there cars for years and years and it still looks amazing.. maybe its the quality of the paint and how good the painter is..

im gonna give it a shot.
Old 02-09-12, 07:37 PM
Axmily
Lead Lap

well guys sent the car to get painted!!!!!!
Old 02-09-12, 11:09 PM
N00bie909
Lead Lap

Good luck when it starts to fade remember everytime you buff it it removes material. Should have just when with the clear coat.
Old 02-10-12, 05:08 AM
t4l
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the painter knows what they are doing, single stage can look great, and comes back from fairly severe oxidation with only a minor buff job. Both of my Saab's are single stage from the factory. and are 20 and 26 years old with the original paint. They fade kind of quickly, but I polish/wax them once a month and they easily come back and look excellent. For a show car go 2 stage, but for a driver I wouldn't hesitate to use single stage.
Old 02-10-12, 04:36 PM
Axmily
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t4l
If the painter knows what they are doing, single stage can look great, and comes back from fairly severe oxidation with only a minor buff job. Both of my Saab's are single stage from the factory. and are 20 and 26 years old with the original paint. They fade kind of quickly, but I polish/wax them once a month and they easily come back and look excellent. For a show car go 2 stage, but for a driver I wouldn't hesitate to use single stage.
yea he diffinatly knows what hes doing i wouldnt even consider it but from the work hes done before it looks amazing. its not a full blown show queen its a daily drivin car worse case is if i dont like it when i get back from deployment il just have him painted base coat clear coat... but i have full faith in him and his work. and for the price i cant complain..
Old 02-10-12, 05:04 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t4l
no youre missing the main point. single stage paints are perfectly fine granted that one key factor youve pointed out above

if thats okay then youre perfectly justified going single stage. but then again doing after how many detailed washes and waxes would you come up to the same price as going a two stage paint? not very many!

either way im a first believer in supporting people with their own car choices! post pictures asap! and of the during process if you can.. thats my favorite stage

Quick Reply: SC400 Going to the Paint booth..