SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 SC400 money pit, bought a buy here pay here lemon.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 07:24 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^ exactly what holds me back, im trying to get my girl a nice ring now and saving for a down payment on a house so we've definitely cut our bills back to the minimum, trying to get her car paid off asap to get rid of that bill and then its very basic things to get by until we have 20k saved up (only 10k to go but going to pay off everything else before we get the last 10k together and actually buy a house so we dont have to worry about anything else)
Old 02-04-12, 09:07 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be done on a budget if you aren't trying to return the interior to showroom new. If "ok" is ok, then it's very doable.

The interior of my $800 car when I got it:

I bought tan door panels and black front seats from members here, maybe spending $500 for all of it. My back seat looked just as bad (busted side window & sat for 3 years) and it is covered with a $50 fake leather cover from AutoZone.

I've got a black leather armrest cover on the way from ebay, which is also where I got new tails to replace the cracked ones the car came with -- even though they don't meet with everyone's approval here. Ebay also provided a new sunroof. I've got a $150 double-DIN radio from Wal-mart. I had to send the ECU to Florida for a rebuild thanks to bad capacitors. I baked the headlights, polished them inside & out, and put HIDs in them for $30.

When I bolt it all in place I'll have a new pic of the "after" results. I still don't have working AC but that can be done in time. Most importantly, I love driving the car and it hasn't cost me a fortune to get it to this point. It'll never a museum piece and I'm fine with that.
Old 02-05-12, 05:41 AM
SpecialK47
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand I can't have it showroom new. But if I can pick up a new to me set of front and back seats, with some clean leather, new door trim, and fix the steering column to get its controls working, and then a new gauge cluster, I'd be quite happy with the interior.
Old 02-05-12, 08:49 AM
Nickmyo
Driver

if that was me i would beat the guy trying to steal my cat and i would have fun with the dealer...
Old 02-05-12, 09:34 AM
1GSLuVeR
Rookie

Originally Posted by SpecialK47
I understand I can't have it showroom new. But if I can pick up a new to me set of front and back seats, with some clean leather, new door trim, and fix the steering column to get its controls working, and then a new gauge cluster, I'd be quite happy with the interior.
A few guys on here are parting out their interiors in the classified section for the SC's. Take a look and see what you find. Good luck with your searching and hopefully you can get the SC brought back to life the way you would like
Old 02-05-12, 10:42 AM
SpecialK47
Driver

Originally Posted by 1stGenGuY
A few guys on here are parting out their interiors in the classified section for the SC's. Take a look and see what you find. Good luck with your searching and hopefully you can get the SC brought back to life the way you would like
I just recently found the classifieds and have been doing just that. Thanks for the good wishes!
Old 02-05-12, 11:08 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I haven't heard the term "lemon" ever being used on a 20 year old car that has obviously been neglected all it's life.
Old 02-05-12, 12:08 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

I say cut your loses....sell the POS to someone who lives in a trailer park and likes working on junk cars between crack smokes. That car is a rat hole for sure. Continue your education (sounds like you need a good shot of some "common sense" as well) and taking care of your new house and main squeeze. Admit your being stupid and move on. Always use your head before your wallet. Good luck and I wish you well.
Old 02-05-12, 12:20 PM
SpecialK47
Driver

Way to be helpful. It's obvious from previous posts, I'm keeping the car. So lose the condescending tone and offer some helpful advice or leave the thread. Kthnxbye.
Old 02-05-12, 01:10 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iridebmx
. i do regret not researching anything about these cars
This statement hit the nail on the head, with ALL your current problems you are experiencing. YOU MUST DO YOUR RESEARCH ON EVERYTHING & EVERYONE. Live and Learn...good luck with the Sc rebuild. Check the Sc400/300 Classifieds for needed parts.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ut-2-cars.html
Old 02-05-12, 01:13 PM
SpecialK47
Driver

I should have researched the model more, and looked more carefully at the specific car. I didn't, I made a mistake, and I have accepted that, as I've said before. I'm now ready to move on and make something of my mistake.

I have been scanning the classifieds, looking for what I need. Thank you.
Old 02-05-12, 01:33 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well i also got a 400(1 grand bad tranny 180k). the exterior paint looks to be in great conditon.the interior carpet has coffee stains. i figured a quick 1jz swap and id be done for 6k at the most. at my current projections and aivestments so far. were looking at 10k.

but the car will be bad *** after that(sans the w58 tranny-only 40k on it).
Old 02-05-12, 01:54 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problems that need solved.

Gauge cluster needs replaced. Non-function speedo and burned out tach needle.
Seats need redone or replaced. Electronic controls and the like need fixed.
Driver side door trim needs replaced. Hanging and broken above window.
Radio and AC controls need replaced. Screens burned out.
Steering column needs repaired or replaced. Electronic controls non-functioning.

One rim is badly curbed and probably not good, and the tires other than the spare are pretty bad, so they'll need replaced. I'm currently considering after market options.

Stuff that I'd like to do, but will have to wait.

Body kit. Mine is pretty rough, front bumper has been scraped, and the tow driver bent it up with the cable.

Thanks to everyone, and sorry for the book.
K
well if you contact aliga he can help you out with your parts. shouldnt cost too much to get it going, im contrast to what youve already been bent over for.
if you are on a budget, and dont mind doing some stuff yourself. this is the best route i can help you out with.
cluster-150$ used
used non-slider buckets from a junkyard 80$
door trim-25-35$ MAX
climate control-45$ ebay(plus 10$ for a soldering iron and solder)
radio-either get a used oem piece 25$ or so, or get a best buy special <100$
you can easily hit up craigslist and get a set(4) of oem SC wheels with decent tread for <200$

as for the body kit...by the time you get all these other problems fixed you should have a good idea of how craigslist, club lexus classifieds, PM's with aliga, ebay, and looking up DIY's on here pretty down pat haha. you will know what you need to do.

thats well under 1000$ and your car should be in "decent" shape.then along the way you will find more things to replace or upgrade. but hey, at the end of the day you will have a car that will serve its purpose.
Old 02-05-12, 02:06 PM
SpecialK47
Driver

I've read some bad experiences on here that people had with Aliga. Not getting what they ordered, wrong color, etc.

I'd like to get the stock OEM seats that came in it. Moving, electric adjustments, heated, etc. I'll be watching the classifieds on here for sure.
Old 02-05-12, 02:16 PM
Murco
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not mechanically inclined in the least, hence my hiring someone from work to do the repairs in the first place. If I could do them myself I would have.
This is the real problem you are facing, and what will double the costs of your laundry-list of needed repairs. The parts alone are expensive for these cars and I cannot imagine how much labor would add to repair bills. My 1992 SC400 currently needs about $1800 worth of parts to get it where I want it, minus paint work, but it doesn't NEED these and it's dead-nuts reliable as a daily-driver. That budget includes pulling the engine to replacing seals & gaskets, rebuilding the transmission, replacing the front LCA's and bearings, and rebuilding the entire brake system. I have the tools, facilities, and extensive mechanical/electrical experience so I am not at the mercy of a mechanic and the labor clock. The SC is new to me so I have a factory service manual on it's way. If I had to pay someone to do these things that total would be around $4000!!!

Learn a lesson, sell-off the car, get a mechanic to go over something else that will fit your budget for now.

Last edited by Murco; 02-05-12 at 02:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 92 SC400 money pit, bought a buy here pay here lemon.