Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rarity bro.
Old 01-13-12, 01:19 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by eliteskill
Our SCx00 prices went down alot because we all choosed to lower our pricing. Selling them for dirt cheap! If we all stuck with what we had it at 5 years ago. Our cars would still be worth 6k stock - 10k modded and 15+ swapped~ easy. We have no one to blame for our price decrease except for ourselfs. Times are hard people willing to take losses so they lower the price down more to beat competition out. Hence 2k stock SCs now... =(

Supra are more rare and even if I never liked them or would want one. They are iconic and people will pay the $$$ for kinda like a NSX. Stock NSX are slow as crap but people pay $$$$ for them. Because oooo NSX oo SUPRA name..
I agree
Old 01-13-12, 01:46 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Blurr
The movie "Transporter" did not cause an avalanche of Audi A8 buyers or fanbois. It has to be the right movie with the right theme.
Yeah that is because the R8 is well over $100k, whereas TT Supras were in the mid 20's-30's when FF1 came out. A lot of people can afford a car in the 20-30k range... not many can afford cars that cost over 100k, and those who can usually know what they are buying and aren't easily convinced by some movie.
Old 01-13-12, 02:59 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Supply and Demand

Originally Posted by cherplex
Supply and demand, Supra's are still desirable turbo or not and there aren't many out there much less clean ones.
+1 .. supply and demand ..
Old 01-13-12, 03:05 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ Supply and demand

It would be hilarious if 92-00 SC prices eventually climbed higher after enough of the cars were totaled out due to negligence. I hate seeing these cars scrapped but it may be what it takes in the end to make the market values reflect what enthusiast owners often put into them.

Then again, a lot of nice Plymouths from the 70's aren't around much any longer and with few exceptions the prices of remaining examples are still nowhere near what 1970-71 Challengers go for.

Supply, demand and popularity.
Old 01-13-12, 08:52 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly don't see how its a bad thing, I can pick up 2-3 SC300s for the price of 1 N/A supra. Isn't that a good thing for us enthusiasts?
Old 01-14-12, 02:55 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Sleepyboi
I honestly don't see how its a bad thing, I can pick up 2-3 SC300s for the price of 1 N/A supra. Isn't that a good thing for us enthusiasts?
It's only a good thing if, after you've poured money into restoration and a clean R154/V160+2JZGTE/1JZGTE swap on one of those SC's, you can actually expect it to sell for 2/3 the price of one Supra N/A Auto (currently around $16k+ or so, correct?).

SC's will never, ever fetch Supra MKIV money and no one should ever expect to get back anywhere near what they invest into ANY classic car but if all the MKIV Turbo drivetrain bells and whistles have been swapped over to a clean SC and the car is in reasonably good cosmetic condition we should not be seeing market prices below $10k-12k for such examples. Slightly higher for a pristine or low miles car. Were I to find a good SC300 with a manual transmission, full MKIV Turbo drivetrain and brakes I would expect to pay no less as a buyer.

Relative to the sheer cost involved, I came within minutes of buying a 1969 Mustang fastback two years ago. The seller had no cash in hand yet and wanted $7,500 for it. It's a bargain price for one of those cars. It didn't run, probably needed an engine and transmission rebuild, a complete repaint, complete interior restoration, new seals everywhere, all kinds of reproduction cosmetic parts and any upgraded performance goodies you'd want to install on top of all that. Basically, it was a rat of a car but the body was straight. It could have been made to run ok just to drive it but it needed a total restoration/restomod. 1969-70 Coupes are not as highly valued but are pretty much the same exact Mustang and still go for pretty good money if they're modified and in good clean condition. Sound familiar?

A trashed nice car like that might cost a small fortune to fix up but it is worth a lot more than the initial $7,500 when you're even partway done with it-- if it's a fastback. I don't expect the same for an SC300 but I do think used values should be just a little more than they currently are for examples that owners take care of.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-14-12 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-17-12, 06:39 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Yeah that is because the R8 is well over $100k, whereas TT Supras were in the mid 20's-30's when FF1 came out. A lot of people can afford a car in the 20-30k range... not many can afford cars that cost over 100k, and those who can usually know what they are buying and aren't easily convinced by some movie.
So what you saying is a lot of People have 25 to 30 grand cash money laying around? Because cash is about the only way you are buying one. There's a big difference between getting a loan for a 30k car and actually paying for one cash
Old 01-17-12, 06:49 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lexrod6
I don't get it... same engine, the SC has a wayyyyyyyyyy better interior..and it's a Lex. What's the deal? i could understand the Turbo version being more, but the non-T?
How's the interior better? It looks better? Pontiac g6 interior LOOKS better too but is it actually better? Does supra have lower door panels that crack? How about window surrounds that crack or center vent? I can go on and on , the sc interior is the worst made Lexus interior on the whole line up it has the most issues I have one but I'm also not one dimensional and in denial like most
Old 01-17-12, 07:28 PM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We need to create a VIP tax just like 240s have drift tax and subies have rally tax. Seriously i couldn't even trade my car for a s14 or a gc8 without putting cash on top. We need to stop thinking our cars are crap and pricing them so low.
Old 01-17-12, 08:16 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

There's just too many sc's on the road and not enough demand. Don't forget that a lot of the supra TT that are worth 30k plus are low mileage, rare colors with a 6pd and in most cases stock. I've seen some TT's go for 22K or less in decent shape. If you want an sc that's worth more than others get an rsp, '97 5spd or similar rare setup. I bought my sc because I liked it and not a money investment like most of you make it seem. I recommend you enjoy your car and don't worry much about anything else. I owned a modified supra hardtop for 4 years and drove it a total of 2k miles because I didn't want anything to happen to it so I didn't enjoy it like I should have (many supra owners are like that). So take it for what it's worth.
Old 01-23-12, 01:22 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by SEXC
There's just too many sc's on the road and not enough demand. Don't forget that a lot of the supra TT that are worth 30k plus are low mileage, rare colors with a 6pd and in most cases stock. I've seen some TT's go for 22K or less in decent shape. If you want an sc that's worth more than others get an rsp, '97 5spd or similar rare setup. I bought my sc because I liked it and not a money investment like most of you make it seem. I recommend you enjoy your car and don't worry much about anything else. I owned a modified supra hardtop for 4 years and drove it a total of 2k miles because I didn't want anything to happen to it so I didn't enjoy it like I should have (many supra owners are like that). So take it for what it's worth.
^^ I agree with most of this. There are just a lot of SC's on the road. I just rarely see SC's that are turbocharged in any form or worked over. I don't think I'd ever get top-dollar for mine were I to sell it but low-dollar to me---along with accompanying modifications that make these cars very non-standard and much more high performance than stock (body kitting and cosmetic customization not included)--- is not quite representative of the rock-bottom valuation that I'm currently seeing some non-trashed and modified SC's go for. The perception of stock and poor condition SC300/400 Automatics as old, slow and not sporty drives this a bit as does the sheer abundance of SC chassis to use as project cars.

As for Supra owners babying their cars and being afraid of something happening, that's relative to all owners of truly rare sportscars. So is the money involved. Many of them have DD car that they aren't as worried about.

I enjoy my car and get daily use out of it. I didn't buy it to baby or leave stock as you have rightly mentioned of Supra owners. I have no regrets here.

I just think well taken care of and mechanically modified examples aren't exactly worth a lot but certainly not an all-out bargain-basement price despite being very different from stock SC's.
Old 01-23-12, 08:13 AM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True enough. I'm thinking that the current crop of SC owners will be a lot happier in 5-10 years.

Well, both happy and sad. We'll have a technically antique car that was years ahead of it's time, along with all the headaches of classic car ownership. Can I get a holla?

What we need now is a baller shot caller to drive and advertise one of our cars, or have it featured as the main ride in a cool show (maybe we can get Nathan filion to drive it on Castle... Wait, that wouldn't help... :-)

I lovedte F&F movies, and was smack in the middle of the scene when the first one hit... But even I thought that first supra was riced out beyond all recognition. I mean, a vinyl ticker with a dude and a sword- seriously?
Old 01-23-12, 08:45 AM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's tons of swapped civics and wannabe drifter 240's and they sell for more than SC's. I've owned many cars and the SC's drives better than most of them. Can't compare the SC to the Supra as the Supra looks sportier in my opinion and they're more rare so that's why they cost more. I would still rather have an auto NA mk4 than a manual SC just for the body style.
Old 01-23-12, 09:02 AM
spurge

uras300 said it the best read his initial message...so true

Quick Reply: Supra vs. SC300