SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-15, 02:11 AM
TonyFrench
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi ! I return today after selling my Soarer few months ago, it is a SC400 with 159k miles. 640 miles for back home, sweet !!

Old 07-28-15, 05:56 AM
davisej
Driver School Candidate

Default New SC Owner - New to the Forum

I finally found a well cared-for SC with low miles - and bit the bullet. I'm a proud owner of a '93 SC400 with 59K miles. I was lucky enough to find one with a excellent interior (beige) and an exterior (burgundy) with just a few minor scratches. I just picked it up yesterday - so no pics yet. I'll try and post a few this evening. I'm sure there's a discussion thread on the forum reference this - but, are there any issues that I should address or have looked at right away (any typical problem areas)? Thanks!
Old 07-28-15, 11:48 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Originally Posted by davisej
I finally found a well cared-for SC with low miles - and bit the bullet. I'm a proud owner of a '93 SC400 with 59K miles. I was lucky enough to find one with a excellent interior (beige) and an exterior (burgundy) with just a few minor scratches. I just picked it up yesterday - so no pics yet. I'll try and post a few this evening. I'm sure there's a discussion thread on the forum reference this - but, are there any issues that I should address or have looked at right away (any typical problem areas)? Thanks!
congrats! I can't wait to see pics.

How did you find your SC, I'm currently in the market looking and searching, lol.
Old 07-30-15, 10:08 PM
EricSC
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys what's up? I recently picked up my second SC400. It's a bit of turd compared to my first (92 w/ 120K). It's 93 with about 250k on it but I got it for 900 bucks and it still runs so that's a plus. It was someones project and I took it over. I'm looking to restore it to it's glory maybe with an extra umph.

I started of with the electrical gremlins. None of the ext lights worked so I got that all those back in working order.
Tomorrow it'll get a new serp belt and comp test and if the comp test checks out I'll just move on to a full tune up and if not then it'll be on the hunt for another engine! Either way I'll make a build thread, ask questions and master the search function!

Old 07-31-15, 01:15 PM
DreadsSC
Driver School Candidate

Talking

hello everyone my name is jeff. i just recently purchased a 1992 sc400 and i love it. this is my first lexus and im obssessed with it haha. i bought it for 3200 and it has 123,000 miles on it. everything is stock as of right now i put some is300 rims on it for the time being. planning on getting some coilovers and black or gold rims? not sure yet.

Old 08-02-15, 10:22 PM
zek735
Driver School Candidate

Default yet another supra in a fat suit owner

What's up cl
Super noob all the way around here new to forums, lexus', interwebz the whole 9.
Just picked up a 95 sc300 and it wasn't long until I started destroying it. I live in Chicago and there aren't too many sc's out here, but I been lurking around the site for a couple of days now and decided to show my pile of crap. So here it is enjoy!

Just g35 and lowered

Zedd wheels 19x9.5 up front 19x11 rears

Some random custom interior things
Old 08-03-15, 07:27 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Originally Posted by zek735
What's up cl
Super noob all the way around here new to forums, lexus', interwebz the whole 9.
Just picked up a 95 sc300 and it wasn't long until I started destroying it. I live in Chicago and there aren't too many sc's out here, but I been lurking around the site for a couple of days now and decided to show my pile of crap. So here it is enjoy!

Just g35 and lowered

Zedd wheels 19x9.5 up front 19x11 rears

Some random custom interior things
haha, I wasn't expecting the shelf! Nice car.
Old 08-04-15, 10:02 PM
ZeeRo
Driver School Candidate

Greetings ClubLexus, I am the infamous ZeeRo,

I have lurked your forums for many years but the time has come to begin searching for my next project, and the SC300 is my choice. I have found these forums most informative and detailed and look forward to contributing heavily to these collected resources.

About me: my work include world domination, manipulation of macro-economies, and the causation of general malaise. In my spare time, I wrench on Toyotas, make phone calls to 911 all over the country, and have even been known to sleep for 12 hours a day. Despite all these attractive qualities, I am single and looking. Any interested parties must be 5 speed and clean.

That about covers it for now. Thanks CL community and look forward to meeting more of you soon.

Old 08-07-15, 04:20 PM
TRDLEVY
Driver School Candidate

Hi, name's Levy. Building Toyotas for a long time. Mostly Cressidas and Supras. I just acquired a '93 SC400. It came with some ugly "19s, '95 Tail Lights, 1JZ-GTE/auto, front mount intercooler, Apexi S-AFC, and Auto Meter Boost Gauge.

I pulled the engine out and mated the top end of the 1JZ with a freshly built 2JZ block. I also refreshed the head and turbos. I'm currently in the middle of the manual swap.

MODIFICATIONS
1.5JZ-GTE/R154 Gear Box
Front Mount Intercooler/Piping
"3 Down Pipe/ NO EXHAUST SYSTEM
A-PEXI S-AFC
Auto Meter Boost Gauge
TRD Supra Front and Rear Sway Bars
SS Brake Lines
LS400 Calipers/Rotors/Pads
Megan Coilovers
Supra Front Seats

BEFORE
Name:  IMG_5599_zpsskuacrn5.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  39.4 KB

AFTER
Name:  IMG_7479_zpsvbss9oba.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  357.8 KB
Name:  IMG_7468_zpswvfntanq.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  301.4 KB
Name:  IMG_7470_zpsk2pu0xgr.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  193.5 KB
Name:  IMG_7475_zpsydx05omm.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  282.4 KB
Old 08-09-15, 04:06 PM
thorgoltra
Driver School Candidate

Default New member

Hello everyone. I'm a 50 year old Oregonian. I recently purchased a used 92 SC400 after car shopping on Craigslist and local used car dealers for over a month. I believe my diligence and patience paid off. I've never bought a new vehicle in my life and probably never will. I've owned a handful of decent rigs over the years such as a 1970 Buick skylark, a 69 Cutlas supreme, a 79 MG midget, and few others not worth mentioning. My most reliable used rig was a 94 Plymouth Sundance which I purchased for $2500 with 67000 miles on it. It now has 240000 and still runs strong. Sure the doors, windows,paint are no longer acceptable. I desperately needed something better. I was in the dark when it comes to the SC models, but when I saw the car for the first time in person I knew I found a new soulmate. The style,stance,power, and overall persona of this car is awesome. Sure there is some issues with clear coat,gauges, upholstery, and engine light but that is expected. Anyways just saying hello to everyone and look forward to being a member of this forum.
Old 08-11-15, 05:32 AM
WadeNelson
Driver School Candidate

Default Greetings from Phoenix, Durango Colorado

Hello all! Wade Nelson here, snowbird who spends winters in Phoenix and summers in a tiny cabin on Lake Navajo near Durango Co. Proud owner of 3 SC-400's, and looking for a '99 VVTi to complete the collection.

Few years ago took a nice, but used 300ZX (non-turbo) for a fun test ride, asked guy why he was selling it. Said he had a SC300 he preferred to keep in the garage. Well I'd always had a hankering for a SC400 and his love of his 300 convinced me I needed to look around.... but wanted the V8.

So I kept an eye out.... eventually picked a low mileage one (under 100k) off of Craigslist out of Texas, put $2k into a new power mirror controller and rear struts... drove it home AND LOVED IT. Wow, what a car!

A $50k car I wanted so badly but couldn't afford at the time, now I had one that looked and ran like new and was in it for under $10k. Why would anyone buy a new Corolla / Honda if they could be driving an SC, I wondered? And now I have THREE!

Next one I bought intending it as a PARTS CAR for a mere $2600, drove it, and it became my daily driver after REMOVING THE SEATS and getting the carpets steam cleaned. Something similar to Pulp Fiction must have happened in the back seat. Body has a few dings, some half-*** bodywork, had to seal the sunroof closed (for wind noise), needed new leather on the driver's seat.... and front right wheel was incorrect. Needed new struts for hood, trunk lid. Day after I bought it, called Lexus, they told me it had a new t-belt & H20pump only a few thousand miles back. Yahoo! Home run! New alternator, antenna mast, minor stuff. 218k miles but you'd never know it. Ice cold AC which really counts in Phoenix. A few minor oil leaks.

My "parts car" which became my D.D.

SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-uikwapbl.jpg

That car was proof of the value of a good test drive. Tested the brakes - hard! ABS engaged, didn't pull to either side, floored the accelerator - hard! Went like a banshee! AC was cold, ride wasn't bad, just had to get past the smell, destroyed seat, and ....no check engine light either after several restarts! Let it idle after test drive, no smell of burning oil or coolant....hey, this is a runner, not a parts car! Wrote the used car lot a check and never looked back.

Latest is a silver w black interior '96 that's a real beauty but has a few "issues." Paid $3k, put another $3k in, t-belt, struts, brakes, .. need some NICE 17" or 18" wheels / tires if anyone has. AC controller not working, only runs on high, and passenger seat ALWAYS reclines.... anyone know how to fix? Currently replacing the little gear in the steering wheel power tilt -- a $20 repair Lexus wants $700 to make.

Having test driven a '99 (wow!) now I want a '99 or '00 VVTi, probably let one of the others go if I find the right one. Saw one out in SF for $6800 but it sold too fast. Want under 125k miles, 1-2 owner, not messed with. No rust belt cars.

What I'm most surprised about is the noticeable difference in performance in the 3 generations of SC, the second generation noticeably faster than the first, and the VVTi's outright hot rods. Or maybe it's just the ones I own, level of tune, etc. The blue one came with a t-belt that had jumped a tooth, couldn't get out of it's own way. Now you stomp on it and...gadzooks!

I'm collecting / trading parts for these, can't / won't pay Lexus prices so $500-$1000 modules / clusters/ controls ...grabbing them when I see them in salvage yards, eBuy or Craigslist. Found a Spanish-speaking guy who does good but not hyper-expensive leather upholstery repairs in the barrio in Phoenix.

Cheers! Wade

Last edited by WadeNelson; 08-11-15 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-12-15, 07:48 AM
JuiceIam
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi

Hows it going. I was referred here by a friend of mine. I have a '92 SC400 I have been building and restoring for about a year and a half now.

I have done a lot of work to her and I hope i can help some people out with their SC's.

I have a Bachelor's of Science in Automotive Technology. I have managed shops and worked on everything from big rigs to lawn mowers.

Hopefully I can provide some useful to someone out there.
Old 08-14-15, 12:50 AM
VovanOmsk
Driver School Candidate

Hi! My Name is Vladimir. I am from Omsk. Siberia. I have Toyota Soarer Jzz30 and I love this car.
Specs: 1JZ-GTE VVTi R154 MT, Supra 4pot brakes, Recaro Seats, Bilstein Suspension, Steering wheel Nardi Deep Corn, Varis Carbon cowl , Exaust By Soara(Ukrain), Cusco Strut Bar, Lsd Kaaz 2.0.

And my ex-car also Toyota Soarer Oldschool Gz10 Gold Mt 1984

Greetings from Omsk

Last edited by VovanOmsk; 08-14-15 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-14-15, 01:55 AM
JiHoonie
Driver School Candidate

Hi, Christian here. I got my SC400 about 2 weeks ago, stock besides the sound system. A 1997 metallic platinum with ~190k on the clock, runs great except for an annoying belt squeak that developed today

SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-adkbtse.jpg

The L-tuned IS300 creepin in the back

SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-dzz7tj0.jpg

With my dad's IS350

SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-p3qzahx.jpg

Got big plans for this car!
Old 08-14-15, 07:54 AM
xtex.brown
Driver School Candidate

Default Advice Needed

I joined this forum long ago when I purchased my 1992 SC300 from my father. It worked great for me as I basically rebuilt the interior from scratch and replaced everything I could to improve the condition. Since loving that car, I bought the last year it was made and got a 2000 SC300 (black/black). Have enjoyed it even more!

So here is my question. Now is the time I need to sell them and rely on a truck for the area I live in (western New York). So my question for everyone is advice on the best place to sell these since many people don't really know the history of the SC300/400 models and their value other than bluebook. Looking in bluebook, they give such a low value even to the 2000 model. So I am hopeful there are good recommendations and maybe even a recommendation of a good "city" to advertise in that people love to purchase these desirable models.

Thanks for your help. I have loved the many many hours I spent on here years ago when I stripped my 1992 to bare metal interior (including dash) and rebuilt over the course of a couple years to make it a black/tan two tone interior. It was a wonderful project I worked with my son on, but it's time for me to move on and let someone else enjoy. Thank you.

Quick Reply: SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!