SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

considering a G35

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 10:48 AM
luvmysc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to want a G so bad! After doing some research they just don't have the potential the sc has. keep your sc.
Old 11-21-11, 01:03 PM
unknown159
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1996sc300

If I was you I would keep the SC and go na-t. Also people that are saying get a G35 and swap in a 2jz-gte should be banned from giving opinions. There is no logic in that what so ever.
someone should be banned for giving an opinion lol.. he asked for advice i told him what i thought everyone has different views so don't try bash someone cause you don't like their idea. AND HOW IS THERE NO LOGIC EXPLAIN PLEASE IN FULL DETAIL???oh and don't bother with the ITS TO COSTLY WE ALREADY RULED THAT OUT EARLIER....
Old 11-21-11, 01:05 PM
unknown159
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

If more power is what the OP wants, he should honestly look into a 98+ SC400, out of the box those are really nice cars and aside from lacking some electronic options that G35 has (navigation for example), it's a MUCH more solid car than a G will ever be.
Old 11-21-11, 06:37 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would never get a stinkin nissan. they are a biznatch to work on. and that VQ especially in the earlier G35 and 350Z cars. they eat oil and transmissions.

interior is crappy plastic and creaks like an old pirate boat.

they dont like boost. unless ur keeping it rather low. due to the open deck block design the cylinders can walk under heavy boost pressure, hence only naturally aspiration is the way to go.

if ur going stock for stock get a low mileage one. it should run u about 12 to 14 grand for a g35 compared to the newest 2000-2001 SC300/400 they should cost about the same.
Old 11-21-11, 11:06 PM
lmfod
Driver

i agree interior is crappy til 07 if i remember right. and they dont really ride as sturdy feeling as a lexus. go with a newer sc i say
Old 11-22-11, 01:41 AM
808Sc5spd
Rookie

So I'm a new member on club Lexus and bought my 95 sc300 5spd around October. The sc was always one of my dream cars since I knew I would never get my hands on a supra in Hawaii. I missed my opportunity to pick up an sc in 07 and ended up getting a 03 g35 coupe 6spd. I've come a long way through the Nissan community and I can say there are pros and cons jus like any other automobile out there.

First off the oil consumption problem was with the 05-07 g35 coupes.....05 being the worst.

Up until 2010 I had my interior stock and untouched besides double din plate upgrade and never had any squeaking or creaking of anykind from the plastic interior.
Unlike the ac plastic vents in the sc that crack over and over again.

In NA form the sc will never be the beast that the vq has come to be. The vq35de platform has almost hit it's 10year mark and people have begun to put more r&d into the car since the motor has become cheaper. We have people in the 350-370 whp range NA.

Of course I have come to understand that it is simply more reasonable to boost the sc than the g.....the iron motor from the sc simply jus handles more power. But don't forget the platform u come from. If it wasn't for the supra there wouldn't be all these parts upgrades to benefit from.

Vq has flaws jus like any other motor but by far from crap. In 1994 wards began giving awards for the 10 top engines of each year. In 1995 the vq engine started off as a 3.0liter.....from 95 til 2008 where it evolved to the vq37vhr for the g37 it's been in the top ten every single year.

With that said I can never let go my g35 but also love the ***** out of my sc. I plan to build my sc300 and keep both. As hard as it was for me to obtain the sc u should be happy u have a 97 5spd......only a 120 if I'm not mistaken??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glhzYWgXfVg
Jus had my longtube headers put on. Of course audio recording for exhausts never sounds as good as it does in person but I can assure u it dont sound like a civic. Sg-Motorsports first to get the vq to 350whp range without building the engine itself. Only with aggressive cams

I will continue my NA path with the g and start my path to boost with the sc. Best of both worlds for me
Old 11-22-11, 01:58 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

i had a g35 coupe with upgraded sport suspension and v-lsd. fully loaded. the suspension was way too stiff and unforgiving. i miss the seats. that's all. everything else on the car i had issues with. i had to replace the drive shaft which was strange. thank goodness that was under warranty or i would've sheet marbles. overall a fast car but keep in mind that supercharging or turbo is out of the question with the vq's 11:1 compression ratio.
Old 11-22-11, 05:15 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've seen people get the upgrades. it doesn't really make the 3.5 much better in my opinion.

a few of my friends who are nissan master techs. fully upgraded a few of those VQ motors in a 350z and G35.

they put in the Nismo (Nislow) cams, and headers and aftermarket headers. and i believe intake. the motor loses quite a bit of horsepower thru the trans to the wheels.

230 if i am not mistaken. buying all that stuff isn't gonna net u 350hp at the wheels. i'd say realistically. 330 is about what u'd expect to gain from those upgrades. and 330hp at the crank.
Old 11-22-11, 06:27 AM
unknown159
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 808Sc5spd
So I'm a new member on club Lexus and bought my 95 sc300 5spd around October. The sc was always one of my dream cars since I knew I would never get my hands on a supra in Hawaii. I missed my opportunity to pick up an sc in 07 and ended up getting a 03 g35 coupe 6spd. I've come a long way through the Nissan community and I can say there are pros and cons jus like any other automobile out there.

First off the oil consumption problem was with the 05-07 g35 coupes.....05 being the worst.

Up until 2010 I had my interior stock and untouched besides double din plate upgrade and never had any squeaking or creaking of anykind from the plastic interior.
Unlike the ac plastic vents in the sc that crack over and over again.

In NA form the sc will never be the beast that the vq has come to be. The vq35de platform has almost hit it's 10year mark and people have begun to put more r&d into the car since the motor has become cheaper. We have people in the 350-370 whp range NA.

Of course I have come to understand that it is simply more reasonable to boost the sc than the g.....the iron motor from the sc simply jus handles more power. But don't forget the platform u come from. If it wasn't for the supra there wouldn't be all these parts upgrades to benefit from.

Vq has flaws jus like any other motor but by far from crap. In 1994 wards began giving awards for the 10 top engines of each year. In 1995 the vq engine started off as a 3.0liter.....from 95 til 2008 where it evolved to the vq37vhr for the g37 it's been in the top ten every single year.

With that said I can never let go my g35 but also love the ***** out of my sc. I plan to build my sc300 and keep both. As hard as it was for me to obtain the sc u should be happy u have a 97 5spd......only a 120 if I'm not mistaken??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glhzYWgXfVg
Jus had my longtube headers put on. Of course audio recording for exhausts never sounds as good as it does in person but I can assure u it dont sound like a civic. Sg-Motorsports first to get the vq to 350whp range without building the engine itself. Only with aggressive cams

I will continue my NA path with the g and start my path to boost with the sc. Best of both worlds for me
that's nice love both cars nice color also......
Old 11-22-11, 10:29 AM
Dv8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't matter what year VQ you have, they all could be subject to oil consumption.

And to get a VQ into the 350 wheel NA takes way more than what the guy up there is proclaiming. For the money you'd spend may as well do a single turbo and make 400 wheel all day long, not to mention save money over an NA build. That and SG motorsports is closing, their secrets and amazing products/work are going with them.

I don't know who posted it but that creaky pirate ship analogy made me laugh, so true. All the G35 is is a car. In essence it's completely underwhelming in all aspects out of the box.
Old 11-22-11, 11:11 AM
Dms3603
Rookie

Ive heard some bad things about the g35/30z when it comes to high hp. They cant hold that much hp apparently. My bud has a 350z and i borrowed it from him for a couple of days and must say i wasn't wowed by it. Hes pushing a little over 375(they make pretty good torque numbers though) i believe and don't get m wrong it sounds and performs beautifully but i prefer the 2jz. My moms g37 is pretty sweet though for a daily.
Old 11-22-11, 11:14 AM
Dms3603
Rookie

almost forgot my buds 350 is boost
Old 11-22-11, 11:16 AM
Dms3603
Rookie

also i stand corrected about the hp its 325hp
Old 04-10-12, 09:33 AM
BlakOnBlak
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sold my 03 g35 and used the money to buy a 92 sc300 with a 1jzgte swap . Huge difference! The G35 was nice, BUT, the SC had me opening the hood every morning just to admire the engine (polished). A lot easier to check all the fluids. I dont miss the G35 at all; it was better on gas, but thats about it. The Bose sound system on the G sounds great, BUT, the cd changer is known to fail and DID fail on mine. The seats on the G were not that comfortable. My SC seats feel great, and thats with seat covers over ripped leather The SC wins all day in my opinion. Put both cars together side by side, and its obviouse which car is more suitable for a MAN
Old 04-10-12, 10:08 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

I miss my SC... I wouldnt trade it for a G35. Maybe look for another type of car. Gs never looked good to me.

Quick Reply: considering a G35