SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Does the SC400 FEEL fast?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-11, 10:27 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

When people used the see my SC400 and ask 'is it fast?,' the best way to describe it would be quick...ish. With TRAC/OD off, they'll push you back in the seat slightly and make a satisfying V8 growl while doing it. Keep in mind that the transmission is luxury-oriented to make it a smooth operator around town. I find the car is very reluctant to downshift in general making it feel 'slow' unless you let it know you mean business.

since 250bhp is a hefty amount, and full torque is put out around 1,500 rpms!
Peak torque doesn't arrive until 4600rpm on the 1UZ-FE's.
Old 10-26-11, 10:29 AM
SC'd SC400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ihiryu
That's actually not true, I did my swap for relatively cheap. I used all MKIII stuff, even the clutch pedal. I took about a day for me to do it. The swap is pretty much the same minus assembling the adapter and the bell housing, and drilling the two holes for it.

And I don't have an O/D light or CEL, neither does one of my customers, but that is probably because my car is a 92 and his is a 93.

Honestly, shopping around, I got the adapter from someone who bought the CAD from V-Eight, and the flywheel I bought from another member who bought it off of SuperRunner. Honestly, I've got UNDER a grand into my swap, and that's even buying the driveshaft and 4.08 for $250.

EDIT OP, keep in mind I shopped around and got lucky with my swap on a lot of things, but I also sourced parts for over a year.
My hat is off to you kind sir! I did a small bit of research and purchased all my parts at once brand new......I was deployed so money didn't really bother me at the time....lol
Old 10-26-11, 10:31 AM
1J0Z SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swap a 1JZ or 2JZ GTE in it, then you will fall in love with the car all over again!
Also, breaking loose in second gear is fun too
Old 10-26-11, 10:39 AM
lithium14
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can honestly say, after driving the SC400 for the first time today... It doesn't feel as fast as my MK3, but it does get off the line just as fast... feels like my Supra without the turbo. LOL!!
Old 10-26-11, 01:08 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC'd SC400
My hat is off to you kind sir! I did a small bit of research and purchased all my parts at once brand new......I was deployed so money didn't really bother me at the time....lol
Thanks lol. You at Bragg?

Anyway, yeah I had to buy stuff before we had Quantum and TV8. The last thing I bought was the QM bearing from Quantum right AFTER they did away with the Howe Bearing, so I had been collecting stuff for quite some time really.
Old 10-26-11, 01:14 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ihiryu
That's actually not true, I did my swap for relatively cheap. I used all MKIII stuff, even the clutch pedal. I took about a day for me to do it. The swap is pretty much the same minus assembling the adapter and the bell housing, and drilling the two holes for it.

And I don't have an O/D light or CEL, neither does one of my customers, but that is probably because my car is a 92 and his is a 93.

Honestly, shopping around, I got the adapter from someone who bought the CAD from V-Eight, and the flywheel I bought from another member who bought it off of SuperRunner. Honestly, I've got UNDER a grand into my swap, and that's even buying the driveshaft and 4.08 for $250.

EDIT OP, keep in mind I shopped around and got lucky with my swap on a lot of things, but I also sourced parts for over a year.
Sure, getting everything used or buying cheap parts will lower the total cost. I am talking about using quality parts, a nice clutch, nice flywheel. This stuff adds up quick. I am really curious how you are not getting a CEL... care to explain that one?
Old 10-26-11, 02:07 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Honestly, I have no idea.

I did the swap, and the other guy's swap too, and neither one of us have a CEL. I never disconnected the trans ecu or anything.

I wired it up so it think it's in park (minus cruise control).

I didn't know that there would be a CEL until I read on Quantum's website that there would be.
Old 10-26-11, 02:15 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Drive an f150 then the sc...it will then. Or go for a ride in mine with the r154 and a single turbo.
Old 10-26-11, 02:20 PM
VINCE9164
Lead Lap

Have you tried highway pulls with ETC POWER and OD on? Love the torque on a highway pull.
Old 10-26-11, 03:04 PM
Dv8
Pole Position

Was the sc400 ever meant to feel fast? Not likely. Toyota wanted their customers to waft along in comfort. They never built these cars as hard performance machines, although in their later years were sharpened up significantly. Compared to the z30's training shoe of a cousin the jza80, the SC in all stock forms just shuffles around in loafer fashion.
Old 10-26-11, 03:19 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry but neither the 300 or 400 were meant to feel fast, nor were they very fast in stock form simply cause of the weight and design purpose. "SC" may stand for sport coupe, but the SC is more of a "luxury" coupe, thus its heavy, quiet, and wasnt necessarily meant to be or feel fast. Yes the 2JZ and 1UZ are great engines, but in a car that weighs almost as much as some full size regular cab trucks, you cant expect much...especially from a 4.0l V8.
Old 10-26-11, 03:59 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

They did all they could to tune the "fast" sensation out of the car. Just look at the thread for disabling the extra transmission solenoid. I wouldn't mind feeling it when it shifts so I'm connecting a relay to the ECT switch to accomplish the same mod. My car has no traction control from the factory so I'm much better off in that regard.

It was a fast car 20 years ago, when America was used to a big v8 making 150-200 horsepower. Punch it from 50 and you won't be disappointed. Off the line it might be a little unimpressive.

I've built and owned cars that were much, much faster, yet I don't find myself unhappy with the performance of my soon-to-be-antique car. I'm just as surprised as anyone else that this is the case.
Old 10-26-11, 04:37 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These guys have pretty much summed it up, you arent going to get James May's fizzy feeling with a stock SC4. Plan to invest some money if you're wanting to make the SC faster.
Old 10-26-11, 05:31 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by zxaaron
I drove one for the first time a couple days ago, and honestly, I expected to be thrown back ( since 250bhp is a hefty amount, and full torque is put out around 1,500 rpms!) Anyways..it really didnt feel all that powerful, although I was going fast. A dumb question I know..but I'm just curious. Maybe it was just that particular SC that I drove? I had high expectations because my friend went for a ride in one of his friend SC's with no mods, and he had the crap scared out of him.
Three words...... Power to Weight.

The SC4 runs out good if it is in tip top shape, but most have a lot of miles and rarely any are serviced at LEXUS where they would get a proper going over and not an autozone hilbilly tune up.
Old 10-26-11, 05:39 PM
V8drummer
Intermediate

The SC is not a "fast" car. But has decent power for spirited driving as long as it is maintained well.
Doing a full tuneup, cleaning the throttle body, etc will make a big difference.

Quick Reply: Does the SC400 FEEL fast?