SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Clear coat failing, tired of looking at it, decided to paint...PICS

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-11, 10:55 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This may be a little late, but I think you should paint the top of the doors to match the hood an rear roof line. Imo it would look proper then.
Old 10-27-11, 06:27 AM
keskipper
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greens14
I know its too late to mention but... you know any store that sells automotive paint could've mixed the original color into an aerosol can to make it easier to match. I thought you were doing the whole car black!
I thought about that, but decided not to try it as this is my first go, and there is NO way I could match the rest of the car's color exactly with 18 years of fading and detailing, etc. So, I decided if it was going to be two tone, black was the color (for uniqueness)...

Originally Posted by JJ823
I like the teal mist I have the same color. I agree with *****, much better then how she was.
My stock color is "Silver Spruce Metallic"...and THANKS!!!

Originally Posted by maynanator
This may be a little late, but I think you should paint the top of the doors to match the hood an rear roof line. Imo it would look proper then.
I thought about that, and might do that...after all I just did, that would be a piece of cake! LOL
Old 10-27-11, 06:49 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

wow i agree with mayanator... i was thinking of what would make the car look best and i totally agree that would make all ur hard work worth it. paint the top half do it now!! lol.. btw, good hand sir. u got skillz.
Old 10-27-11, 07:03 AM
keskipper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cmh
wow i agree with mayanator... i was thinking of what would make the car look best and i totally agree that would make all ur hard work worth it. paint the top half do it now!! lol.. btw, good hand sir. u got skillz.
ty, ty.

the spraying was actually the easiest part...the HOURS of sanding, surface prep, and taping/paper was by far the most difficult, but I wanted the surface to be as smooth as possible. Luckily, the body is in very good condition (only three TINY spots on the hood that were rusty -- fixed that LOL)...
Old 10-27-11, 08:26 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
House paint? Are you kidding me ?
Nope, dead serious. Now I haven't done it myself, but a few of my import rat rods (read civic and 240's) have done it, and it turns out really nice, so long as you take your time and do it. My buddy in the 240 did it in a single stage and turned out decent. Buddy in his civic took a week to do it with lots and lots of coats and got it to look very reflective.

I know it's hard to believe to take a few seconds and check the links.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...paint-job-quot

http://www.instructables.com/id/Pain...ith-Rustoleum/

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-...-paint-your-c/

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...paint-job.html

It's really crazy stuff and it doesn't take much honestly.
Old 10-27-11, 11:19 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

lol wow!!^^^^^^^^^^^^

That mustang hood looks like a first class paint job.

Even still I would never recomend this process for our cars but i will admit it looks better then i would fo thought.

And rustoleum isnt house paint i think it is outdoor paint made for metals.

House paint would flake off outdoors in a matter of days/weeks.
Old 10-27-11, 11:33 AM
keskipper
Pole Position

Daylight shot...I have decided I am going to paint top half of doors...

Last edited by keskipper; 10-27-11 at 05:57 PM. Reason: decided not to do mirrors for now...
Old 10-27-11, 11:59 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

damn that looks legit.... i wouldnt paint the mirrors but just because u have the front bumper painted the way u do.... i would leave the mirrors the color they are and just paint the top half, it matches ur scheme.
Old 10-27-11, 12:19 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
lol wow!!^^^^^^^^^^^^

That mustang hood looks like a first class paint job.

Even still I would never recomend this process for our cars but i will admit it looks better then i would fo thought.

And rustoleum isnt house paint i think it is outdoor paint made for metals.

House paint would flake off outdoors in a matter of days/weeks.
Agreed, however, I think it would be better than just regular spray paint though IMO. I think I would resort to this before spray canning it.

Vinyl wrap seems like a good idea too though
Old 10-27-11, 12:37 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^ vinyl wrapping could cost just as much as painting a car professionaly... maybe not if u do it urself but still even materials to vinyl wrap a car can get expensive.
Old 10-27-11, 01:14 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cmh
damn that looks legit.... i wouldnt paint the mirrors but just because u have the front bumper painted the way u do.... i would leave the mirrors the color they are and just paint the top half, it matches ur scheme.
Thx. I see where you're going with that...I will paint just top of the door and leave the mirrors...can always paint them later if I decide to. I am learning patience A little at a time...

Originally Posted by cmh
^^^^ vinyl wrapping could cost just as much as painting a car professionaly... maybe not if u do it urself but still even materials to vinyl wrap a car can get expensive.
Exactly...I priced vinyl wraps before going this route...very expensive for a quality job; materials alone for my car were about $600 if I remember correctly--professional installation was much more. The can look great, though.
Old 10-27-11, 01:25 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Nope, dead serious. Now I haven't done it myself, but a few of my import rat rods (read civic and 240's) have done it, and it turns out really nice, so long as you take your time and do it. My buddy in the 240 did it in a single stage and turned out decent. Buddy in his civic took a week to do it with lots and lots of coats and got it to look very reflective.

I know it's hard to believe to take a few seconds and check the links.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...paint-job-quot

http://www.instructables.com/id/Pain...ith-Rustoleum/

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-...-paint-your-c/

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...paint-job.html

It's really crazy stuff and it doesn't take much honestly.
WOW. That guy with the Mustang hood in the first link did an AMAZING job. Looks great... Will definitely keep this in mind for the future...
Old 10-27-11, 01:54 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

some kid i knew back like 10 years ago spray painted his whole car white... then still with masking tape took it to a body shop to get a proffesional clear coat done... they charged him like 200 bucks... anyway i saw the car like 5 years later and it looked exactly the same. i would concider getting a pro to clear coat once ur done. think about it, the whole job cost him about 350 bucks and he sold it 5 years later with the paint still sparkling. i think its worth it.
Old 10-27-11, 07:45 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by cmh
some kid i knew back like 10 years ago spray painted his whole car white... then still with masking tape took it to a body shop to get a proffesional clear coat done... they charged him like 200 bucks... anyway i saw the car like 5 years later and it looked exactly the same. i would concider getting a pro to clear coat once ur done. think about it, the whole job cost him about 350 bucks and he sold it 5 years later with the paint still sparkling. i think its worth it.
yes^^^^^guys im not a professional car painter but I have experiance with painting my own cars.

Im not being rude but only a sucker would drop his car off to the body shop and tell them to do everything.

This is why paint jobs cost thousands of dollars, they play on peoples ignorance and lack of experiance.

The trickiest part of a car os the final clear coat, you can do the body work,prep , masking, primer and base coat and let the pro's do the last step and come out with a flawless job.

Quick example , I bought a 2001 honda civic Si with the left side scraped and dented, I did the body work myself,,got the base coat matched perfectly from a body shop,,,layed multiple coats of base and then multiple coats of clear, end result was a nice paint job but with orange peeling and minor imperfections.

Lightly sanded and masked the entire left side,,dropped it off for 1 coat of clear from a professional.....cost=$60.00 .

Dont be a sucker , do the work yourself.
Old 10-29-11, 12:01 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

Just did top part of the doors, definitely like it better...

Quick Reply: Clear coat failing, tired of looking at it, decided to paint...PICS