SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Clear coat failing, tired of looking at it, decided to paint...PICS

Old 10-26-11, 08:07 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

could have bought ready to spray flat black paint and a spray gun, and just done the whole car. Or a single stage paint, a half way decent HPLV spray gun, and a compressor. I know the links arent the best source for paint, but neither is Walmart.
Old 10-26-11, 11:32 AM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt know what to think when I first saw the pics, the front looks kinda off to me as well but im interested to see the final pics....GL!!
Old 10-26-11, 12:31 PM
1jzchris
Pole Position

looks good so far..........want to see the finish product
Old 10-26-11, 01:00 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All seriousness here, but have you ever looked into house paint? I mean it's probably easier and cheaper, especially if you don't think it's your final paint job.
Old 10-26-11, 05:07 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

Thanks for the comments everyone...like it, or don't like it, it certainly looks much better, imo (and that's all that really counts)... Got about 90% completed today, ran out of daylight. Will finish tomorrow. Here are a few pics as of tonight...

Old 10-26-11, 05:12 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Looks like you put some shine back into it. It looked flat in the first set of pics.
Old 10-26-11, 05:15 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Looks like you put some shine back into it. It looked flat in the first set of pics.
It wasn't wet sanded or waxed at the time...did wet sanding, rubbing compound, scratch doctor, and meguiars today...

Last edited by keskipper; 10-27-11 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-26-11, 05:23 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by keskipper
It wasn't wet sanded or waxed at the time...did wet sanding, rubbing compound, scratch doctor, and macquires today...
Usually it is not advisable to wax, seal, or apply any type of LSP product onto aftermarket paint for a month after the paintjob is done. Even if it was properly baked in a booth, it is not fully cured for the first month.
Old 10-26-11, 05:28 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Usually it is not advisable to wax, seal, or apply any type of LSP product onto aftermarket paint for a month after the paintjob is done. Even if it was properly baked in a booth, it is not fully cured for the first month.
I did not know that...ty for the info. Is there anything I can do about that now, or just forget about it? What are the adverse effects?
Old 10-26-11, 06:01 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I did not know that...ty for the info. Is there anything I can do about that now, or just forget about it? What are the adverse effects?
Well, the reason you shouldn't practice it is because a wax or paint sealant leaves behind an extra layer on top of the clearcoat. Even though this layer is extremely thin (most waxes or sealants probably don't even add a micron of thickness), the fact is, fresh aftermarket paint needs time to outgas, and putting on any type of extra layer on top of the paint prevents that or at best slows it down.

If you don't have a dedicated product to strip the wax, you can always use dish soap and wash the car as you would normally. Don't do it in the sun because it will leave behind water spots. I've used dish soap plenty of times on my own cars to get the body as clean as possible before new wax application. Works everytime. Most would reccoment Dawn dish soap, but I've used various brands and they all worked fine. To check that the wax is stripped, just spray or mist some water onto the car and check that there is no beading. No beading=no wax.

Good luck.
Old 10-26-11, 07:30 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The above statement is so true. I think the results you were after was achieved, thats all that matters. I think you ought to do the whole car. I am sure you will once you get more sun and daylight out.
Old 10-26-11, 07:47 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ihiryu
All seriousness here, but have you ever looked into house paint? I mean it's probably easier and cheaper, especially if you don't think it's your final paint job.
House paint? Are you kidding me ?

I would just leave it, whats dont is done and im sure this isnt going to be a permanent paint job.

I think it turned out well considering your probably on a budget and this is your first time trying it.

The clear coat on your car was destroyed and something needed to be done.

This can be a good temporary fix until you decide to get the whole care done.
Old 10-26-11, 08:50 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
House paint? Are you kidding me ?

I would just leave it, whats dont is done and im sure this isnt going to be a permanent paint job.

I think it turned out well considering your probably on a budget and this is your first time trying it.

The clear coat on your car was destroyed and something needed to be done.

This can be a good temporary fix until you decide to get the whole care done.
That's exactly my thought process. And for $140 (and my time), I don't have to see the ugly, dull, failing clear coat!!
Old 10-26-11, 10:05 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

I know its too late to mention but... you know any store that sells automotive paint could've mixed the original color into an aerosol can to make it easier to match. I thought you were doing the whole car black!
Old 10-26-11, 10:42 PM
JJ823
Driver

I like the teal mist I have the same color. I agree with *****, much better then how she was.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clear coat failing, tired of looking at it, decided to paint...PICS