SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Ridiculous questions & Comments from people

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-14, 05:32 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

They may LOOK like they're titled the same, but the spelling is different.
Old 01-11-14, 05:56 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 440 Likes on 363 Posts

I love these threads!

I always get the rich kid comments and it's a lot worse now that I have an LS430 too. People always think my dad owns the cars and it drives me crazy.

There was this one dude at a car meet that kept telling me my SC never came with a 2JZ and I have a 4.0 V8 in it. It blows me away how stupid people are, especially when it comes to Lexus'.
Old 01-11-14, 06:34 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
It blows me away how stupid people are, especially when it comes to Lexus'.
This is true.
Old 01-12-14, 02:46 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Had a good co-worker checking out my car. He's about 45, a proper English gentleman from London. He was/still is a mechanic(now part time). He's been in this country since 1998.

Anyways, he spotted me driving my NICE 1992 SC300 in the parking garage(granted my car is a nice survivor with 71k miles, original paint/leather/etc).

I asked him if they sold Lexus in England, he said no. Asked them if they sold the Toyota Supra back in the 90's, he said he knew what they were but never saw a Supra or a Lexus SC back in England. I think this is the first Lexus SC he had looked at, or bothered to pay attention to, since he saw it every day for two weeks, sitting in the same spot, all waxed up and detailed to the 9's.

I popped the hood, he looked around for about 5 seconds, and said, "What the **** is that damn distributor doing there?" I said, well its a 1992, he said "Oh damn, I didn't think this car was that old, just by looking around it and in the engine it looked like an 02 or so".

(NOTE, this guy is legit, he helped me diagnose/fix my old 1993 Toyota truck. Clutch was sticking to the floor, he looked right at the master clutch cylinder, said "Well it ain't leaking or seeping *****. Wish I could say the rest about your damn motor. Crawl under the truck, check the slave cylinder on the side of the transmission, or it might be a pinched/leaking hose between the slave and master. Crawled under there, sure enough that damn slave cylinder was bleeding hydraulic fluid like a stuck pig).

Last edited by Aron9000; 01-12-14 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-12-14, 06:35 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My gf says she doesn't really get comments, more like open mouthed stares. But then again she drives like an *** hole and has a 4" turbo back exhaust.
Old 01-12-14, 12:48 PM
SPLiFFY
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by Vrank
My gf says she doesn't really get comments, more like open mouthed stares. But then again she drives like an *** hole and has a 4" turbo back exhaust.
LOL. Your gf is a winner for sure. I also get the stares, and even have people get out their car at stoplights and ask if I'm selling my SC. I can only imagine how much attention you all get with your set-up SCs. LOL.

I know what you guys mean with the comments. Back when I was working, someone called me a "rich b***h" who "probably had a dad who is a doctor or something." LOL. My SC was passed down to me by fate and my dad is a retired mechanic/vehicle inspector for big trucks like firetrucks, garbage trucks, ambulances etc. But you know, doctor was close enough guess. lawl..

I also have people tell me I'm "spoiled." The worst for me was a girl I went to school with. She had like an 08' IS250 in which she crashed it because she drove home drunk, of course her dad fixed it for her. She then sees my SC and says... "oh.....so... does it run right?"... Idk why people think because a car is older that they aren't reliable.

I can't forget the people who see Toyota written on the windows, stickers, under the hood etc and then have the nerve to say "but its a lexus..." LOL.

Logic is overrated.
Old 01-12-14, 06:56 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Wow, you have a twin turbo!" :O

"No, it's just one now"

"Oh..."
Old 01-12-14, 10:04 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the typical
"Wow, sweet Prelude."
"Your Del Sol Looks longer than normal."
etc.

But my favorite was at the tire shop in April right after I had it debadged and fresh paint on the bumpers and skirts.
Some Mom was with her 5 year old kid who saw me pull my car up to the bay and said "whoa, what a cool car, can I get one Mommy?" She then looked at him patronizingly and told him that if he went to college and saved up his money maybe one day he could afford one too. Oh, if only she knew how much it cost me.
Old 01-15-14, 08:52 AM
tientony
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been told my car must be the new lexus concept car, and lexus is getting really aggressive with there looks
Old 01-15-14, 09:12 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Threads Merged... you guys are keeping us busy.
I have gotten the newer car thing several times especially when the car is freshly cleaned. Its the curves me thinks.
Old 01-15-14, 10:28 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Threads Merged... you guys are keeping us busy.
I have gotten the newer car thing several times especially when the car is freshly cleaned. Its the curves me thinks.
...the curves is it! A book I read not too long ago had the SC400 reviewed. According to the author, the SC400 "Doesn't have a straight line on it", which is proving to be true. Not one straight line from the exterior to interior. It's a design meant to be in style for 30+ years.
Old 01-15-14, 01:08 PM
Cozmo
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The only one I've gotten was from this guy at a gas station.

He's like...Oh thats the Lexus Supercar.
Me: Its a '92. I like it.
Him: Yeah, I had one, it was great until I drove it into a lake. I ended up getting it back from the insurance company ,and took it all apart and rebuilt it from the ground up. So if you need something I know these cars top to bottom.
Me: Oh yeah? Where is it now?
Him: Well, I never really got it running again and sold it to some guy who towed it away.
Me: K, thanks.
Old 01-15-14, 07:12 PM
94Soarer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soarer owner

Me: pulls up to a red light
Kid in other car beside me; Oh *****! babe look at that skyline!!
me: what..
kid: I love your skyline
Me: Its a Toyota Soarer The Supras Uncle..and your dad has a nice duramax...

I get the skyline comment a lot actually... blows my mind
Old 01-15-14, 10:20 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I wish i got comments like some of you guys. only one I got was the guy who did my inspection asking me if its fast and if I just had it painted (i had detailed it)
Old 01-16-14, 08:50 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how people can think its a prelude...
I drive a prelude and know quite a lot about them... and not a single model year looked like my sc does...

first day I braught my car home I showed my dad (who is a chevy guy)
and he told me that ill never be able to get it into the 11s with only 6 cylinders.

My neighbor thought it was pile of crap and proceeded to do a burnout in his corvette (a c5) next to it
little does he know this spring ill be able to drive circles around him

a kid in a kia forte koup thought it was a supra.... yells at me yo man I bet I could whip your supra and proceeded to try to drag race me (in which I didn't even want to try to race since I saw the cop behind us and I guess he didn't and he got a nice ticket haha)

Quick Reply: Ridiculous questions & Comments from people