Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 06:19 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Tensioner Pulley Screw

1992 SC400

Once again, no pics, camera stolen.

Ghaah! I was reading a thread posted a long time ago about a diy involving the removal of the tensioner, and the op specifically warned to take extra good care of this "special screw".

I found a reference screw in my garage, obviously not left hand threaded like I need, but at least I was able to confirm the size. It's pretty old, it says "8G" on it, I'm not sure if that's the thread size or head size, so I'm hesitant to order a new one online, but if I ever was ready to do such a thing, mcmaster.com apparently offers exactly what I need.

I'd rather do it local though. Autozone definitely does not have left hand screws (called them) but apparently Hank's Hardware does. I'll call them tommorrow, hopefully go over in person.

The reference one I found in my landlord's garage is for sure the right thread size, but I aint gonna put a regular thread screw in the tensioner, I expect it would swivel right out when the engine is on.

I looked everywhere for the damn thing. I searched high and low in the engine compartment, all around and under the car, everywhere, even my tool boxes. It's been two days. One minute I'm making sure I have everything I took off before going inside to clean the pulley, next I'm missing that gem of a screw. After the first hour of searching I just went inside to clean the pulley then went to bed, vowing to find the screw the next day. No luck though.

Anyone have anything specific in mind concerning what they would do if they stood in my position?

Last edited by Gate; 09-22-11 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 07:55 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did u check on the frame? sometimes they can get stuck in the weirdest spots. if you cant find it did u try the dealer?
Old 09-22-11, 07:59 PM
Gate
Pole Position

I better check the frame again, worth a try, right? It's gotta be somewhere! It just kills me that it has to be so nearby, yet so far away. The dealer should have it for sure, but mcmaster.com has it for like $8 bucks, that's the price all of the left hand ones in that size range are going for, but they don't go by the size that reads on the reference one I found, the 8G one. Anyways, dealer probably wont have it cheaper than that, and I still need to try Hank's Hardware.

I will call the dealer though, just to double check. Man! It's just gotta be somewhere in the engine, I know it, but I looked for hours yesterday and today... Gotta keep looking!
Old 09-22-11, 08:03 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

yeh, if you took it off it has to be there or under the car. check behind pulleys and change positions on where your looking from. sounds stupid but i have found many bolts like that
Old 09-22-11, 08:06 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Dude, not stupid, I'm a very literal and simplistic thinker, advice like that infinitely multiplies my abilities, most of the time I spent looking for the thing I was also thinking stupid crap like "noooo, why me" and "this sucks" instead of "okay, we gonna find this s.o.b."

The search continues in the morning!
Old 09-22-11, 08:12 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

who said anything about you being stupid?!
Old 09-22-11, 08:17 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nova
yeh, if you took it off it has to be there or under the car. check behind pulleys and change positions on where your looking from. sounds stupid but i have found many bolts like that
No, see. look, you post, you said "sounds stupid", my last post was me saying "not stupid" as in your suggestion was not stupid like you said it was! it was a good suggestion, might be the one to save me a lot of time and enough money to buy a burger, soda, and pack of smokes, or few gallons of gas!
Old 09-22-11, 08:19 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

lol misunderstanding my bad
Old 09-22-11, 08:20 PM
Gate
Pole Position

no prob, but I'm off now! gotta go to Autozone and take care of the belt itself first, then the left hand screw tomorrow, L8s!
Old 09-23-11, 12:31 PM
Gate
Pole Position

booya grandma, the closest lexus dealer to me is a few cities away, i called them to order the part cuz i gave up looking for it, they said $4 for pickup and $10 (total) if i wanted it shipped. I figured it best to have it delivered, the difference costs less than the cost of gas to get there and back, but before i did that i thought it would be a good idea to call my local toyota dealer, just a short bicycle ride away, and see if i could order for pick up from them.

btw anyone else who has this problem, the part number is 9010508183.

I asked them to order it for me, they had to charge me over the phone, you gotta prepay to order a part to be shipped and reserved. Cost me a whopping $1.50!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so happy. The salesman said it will be ready for pick up tomorrow at 8:00 am.

I know I suck cuz i lost the damn thing in the first place, but what a relief! The part is on it's way.

Nova, thank you so much for you support, you gave me the courage to look even more, but it just wouldnt show up! However, by looking more, i feel better about having to order a new one.

ONE MORE THING! I called Hank's Hardware this morning and asked if they had left handed screws. They do of course, but when I got to describing the size i needed, he very rudely explained that they don't carry metric! He was seriously a rude dude! and his name was actually "hank", i bet his hiring manager thought that was cute. what a bunch of bosos.

I'm so happy now! Just wanted everyone to know. Continue with your other threads.
Old 09-24-11, 05:49 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Major update, and most certainly the last. Everything with both dealerships (Lexus and Toyota) is finally completely sorted out. Please read this, I believe it's important.

When I called Lexus yesterday I asked for the part number for the left-hand tensioner pulley nut for my 1992 SC400. They told me it was 9010508183. I asked ho much it was, they said $4. I was fine with that, but politely thanked them for the info and said I would take car of it later, when I actually planned on ordering it from my local Toyota dealer for the sake of price and distance (their price was $1.58, Lexus was $4 - the closest Lexus dealership to me, the one I called, was several cities away, but my Toyota dealership is a few blocks from my house).

I rode my bicycle to pick up the part from Toyota. They gave me the exact part I asked for. When I got home to put in the tensioner pulley, the nut I put in was too small - it wasn't the one I needed. I called Toyota to clear things up, apparently Lexus gave me the wrong part number. The nut I ordered was for part of the timing belt assembly for a GS300. They wasted my time, and therefor due to a lack of effort and specification on my part, I wasted Toyota's time.

The REAL part number for a 1992 SC400 drive belt tensioner pulley nut is 90105-10278. I apologized for not being specific with Lexus, and the Toyota salesman also agreed that Lexus of Escondido was slightly at fault. I said I didn't want a refund for the part I ordered from them (Toyota) because it wasn't their fault. They gave me exactly the part I asked for. The fault lies strictly with me personally, as well as proportionally with Lexus of Escondido.

He was very kind to me, and thankful for my competence and patience - he said he would order the part and it would be ready for me to pick up on Monday. Normally, when special ordering a part, you need to pay in advance. That was the case recently when I ordered the wrong bolt. This time however, they're allowing me to pay when I come pick up the part, for now they're paying for it on my behalf.

It pays to be specific! More importantly though, I shouldn't have lost the nut in the first place (although I spent literally 7 hours looking for it throughout 3 days). Don't worry, it's definitely not in the engine area, I remember putting it on the ground. If you saw where I park my car and the natural environment surrounding it, you would see that it could be anywhere. A very difficult search indeed.

I'm in the hole $1.58. I'm so happy though, if anyone needs part 901050813 which I ordered by accident, just tell me. I'll send it to you and pay for the shipping! I promise! My treat! That's how happy I am. I'm getting the one I actually do need on Monday.

Cheers brothers!!!