SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

sc400 fuel filter relocation to engine bay...any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-15, 04:12 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by freakness
What is your math trying to tell you?
Your numbers, not mine.

The point was simply to illustrate the thinking behind the annual recommendation. It makes sense, despite perhaps being overkill. Same thing as most people adhering to 3k mile oil change intervals despite most cars of the past 25-30 years recommending more along the lines of 6,000, 7,500, or 10-15k mile intervals.
Old 10-05-15, 04:32 PM
matguy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Your numbers, not mine.

The point was simply to illustrate the thinking behind the annual recommendation. It makes sense, despite perhaps being overkill. Same thing as most people adhering to 3k mile oil change intervals despite most cars of the past 25-30 years recommending more along the lines of 6,000, 7,500, or 10-15k mile intervals.
Kind of. Some filters directly change the efficiency of the vehicle and tend to be fairly reactive to environments. Air filters don't last as long in dusty envinronments, oil changes probably should happen more for cars that deal with more stop&go driving, etc. Those 2 filters can quickly directly affect the efficiency of an engine. If the engine can't breathe, it either can't burn the fuel put in or it won't get as much fuel as it otherwise could burn at a particular throttle position and RPM, so a driver will generally press further on the accelerator and the engine will rev higher and be less efficient. Dirty oil will just simply add drag and/or cause parts to wear out quicker.

A fuel filter generally doesn't get bad enough to cause a problem in normal circumstances. When it does your fuel pressure would drop, which should result in a check engine light (either by direct fuel pressure sensors or O2 sensors detecting lean burning.)

That said, a 3k mile oil change is still one of those catharsis maintenance intervals. It might make you feel good, but it's not doing anything for your car. It's like putting premium gas in a low compression car; just 'cause it says premium doesn't mean it's doing anything for your car if it doesn't need it.

If you really must change your fuel filter that often, go on with your bad self, but I wouldn't expect people to agree with you. And I certainly wouldn't expect people to agree that it's a good idea to risk engine fires by relocating your fuel filter to the engine compartment to aid in your chosen maintenance interval.
Old 10-05-15, 04:40 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by matguy
If you really must change your fuel filter that often, go on with your bad self, but I wouldn't expect people to agree with you.
How did it become my recommendation all of a sudden? I was just passing along what several mechanics have said, and illustrating the possible reasoning behind it.
Old 10-05-15, 05:00 PM
matguy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
How did it become my recommendation all of a sudden? I was just passing along what several mechanics have said, and illustrating the possible reasoning behind it.
Valid point, although I don't particularly agree with the reasons nor the comparisons to other filter/fluid intervals.
Old 10-05-15, 05:16 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only issues I've seen regarding our fuel filters is for states that get a lot of rain, snow, road salt, etc... that are prone to rusting the underside of the car. If you have rust issues like us New Yorker's and plan to keep your car a very long time then I say go for the relocation. If not... the stock set up lasted 20 or so years before becoming an issue, safe to say new lines, and filter in the same position will last another 20 years.

As far as fuel filters go....never delete it. I've read plenty of stories on bad gas with dirt, water, etc... in it.
Old 10-05-15, 05:26 PM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you like to run around on empty or let your car sit for long periods with low fuel levels or have pumped dirty fuel into your tank there is absolutely no reason to replace the filter. I might be tempted to replace at 100-120K but that would be a big might. I have never seen a clogged fuel filter on any lexus other than one that the owner pumped fuel in from and old farm tank, that was an expensive lesson for him I assure you.

Relocating is a waste of time and money. I don't understand why people insist on throwing money at mods that gain them absolutely nothing. Save your money, enjoy your ride, don't throw it down the crapper for no reason. If that money is burning a hole in your pocket, send it to me, I will make much better use of it.
Old 10-05-15, 11:58 PM
dricacho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I change the fuel filter on my twin turbo Z32 yearly and this is why.....

Old 10-06-15, 01:38 AM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a diesel filter, not a gasoline fuel filter, did you even watch the video? This does not apply to gasoline. Anyone who has a clue knows that diesel filters must be changed more often.
Old 10-06-15, 04:48 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Some of you sort of missed the most important point.

Change your filter as often as you like.
I was trying to NOT suggest members make potentially risky mods that could end in fire if not perfect, just to be bent over, rather than laying on his back to change the filter.

Do you really want people casually, experimentally modding their fuel systems for no significant gain?

T2d2, I agree changing it more often can't be bad. Toyota knew exactly what it knew what it took to change that filter. They still decided to keep it right there. They have teams of people getting together to make those choices. We will never know why they did what they did but on the most potentially deadly system on the car, it makes sense to approach this with respect.

On this particular topic, it's probably a good idea to encourage members to leave it where it is, and change it more often unless they have a full understanding of fuel systems in general and our fuel systems in particular..

Case in point:
My fuel filter was rusted like heck (supporting T2D2's recommendation to change it more often in general).
I paid a mechanic to fix it and he broke my line. He replaced the broken part of the line with a braided line and a nice Aeromotive replaceable filter. It looked great. The connector in the bay also started to spray fuel around my bay after 7 months. I had someone rip it out and install a new stock line that I knew would last another 20 years.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 10-06-15 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-06-15, 06:35 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

This thread has evolved from filter relocation to filter maintenance. I guess they are somehow related .

I am not gonna give a time frame or mileage on these Fuel Filter Maintenance of the Lexus SC300 / SC400.

For me ,

a) It depends on the CONDITIONS the vehicle is being USED that is the reason why Lexus has a Schedule A & B .
b) A bad fuel filter will manifest itself .
c) If you use inferior part as replacement to save a few $$$ , then it is destined to fail sooner, so don't complain that you have to do the maintenance often.

IMHO , to replace it for the heck of replacing it, is a waste. As someone said , MAYBE I might replace it after 100k for peace of mind but even that, I doubt if I don't see any signs that it needed to be replaced.

Food for thought :

a) Instead of relying on numbers that are ridiculuous or rely on he said / she said , by someone who probably do not even have one of these cars, has anyone here check the Maintenance Schedule A & B of your Lexus SC300 / SC400 Car ? And ask yourself why such a schedule ? Not all cars are the same . Some are better than others.

b) If I would believe what others claim that it has to be replaced so often, don't you think it is stupid for those engineers in a multi-billion $$$ company to place the filter where it is now (lower than the fuel tank) and with hard lines ? Every damn time you need to replace it , you have to empty the freaking tank first or probably be soaked with fuel ? They have hard lines so you cannot just clip them like a hose to stop the flow of fuel.

I had an SC400 with 134k miles when I bought it . I sold it when it had 188k miles. Never replaced fuel filter. To this date , my local buddy is still using it with 542k miles and neither has he replaced the fuel filter so far. I sold it to him because I knew he travels 40-50k of miles a year being a Regional Sales Manager . We are trying to see when the damn 1UZFE engine will finally die. So far it is still alive and kicking ! A local Lexus Dealership is actually interested with it and indicated their intention to buy it back if it reaches 1 Million miles on its original engine and transmission. They have inspected it in one of its maintenance day and said it still has the original engine and transmission. Only maintained on that Dealership from Day 1 they sold the car.

c) It is your car, nobody is gonna stop you from doing what you want... like when to replace fuel filter and wherever you want to put that fuel filter. Just make sure . it is safe and you are far away when the car catches on fire.
Old 10-06-15, 07:58 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

only reason i'll be replacing mine is because it's a lump of rust after some chicago winters.
Old 10-06-15, 09:07 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gerrb
IMHO , to replace it for the heck of replacing it, is a waste. As someone said , MAYBE I might replace it after 100k for peace of mind but even that, I doubt if I don't see any signs that it needed to be replaced.

snip*

I had an SC400 with 134k miles when I bought it . I sold it when it had 188k miles. Never replaced fuel filter. To this date , my local buddy is still using it with 542k miles and neither has he replaced the fuel filter so far. I sold it to him because I knew he travels 40-50k of miles a year being a Regional Sales Manager . We are trying to see when the damn 1UZFE engine will finally die. So far it is still alive and kicking ! A local Lexus Dealership is actually interested with it and indicated their intention to buy it back if it reaches 1 Million miles on its original engine and transmission. They have inspected it in one of its maintenance day and said it still has the original engine and transmission. Only maintained on that Dealership from Day 1 they sold the car.

c) It is your car, nobody is gonna stop you from doing what you want... like when to replace fuel filter and wherever you want to put that fuel filter. Just make sure . it is safe and you are far away when the car catches on fire.
Gerrb builds motors that look like this. If he doesn't feel the need to frequently swap filters for these motors and $70K Supras, I think my GE will be fine..
Attached Thumbnails sc400 fuel filter relocation to engine bay...any thoughts?-20150906_190215_zps8xhg0tbu.jpg  

Last edited by Studiogeek; 10-06-15 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-06-15, 09:30 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Tony - I don't think it is me ... that is why I placed it as a food for thought ..,and asked every one to check on the Lexus Maintenance Schedule that came with the car or their current TIS Bulletins on the SC300 / SC400. Not unless I miss it , no where on those maintainance schedules say when to inspect and replace a fuel filter. But all the other maintenance parts, they tell you to INSPECT and REPLACE and at what interval . I just want to advice you to not listen to he said / she said advices ... these are HEARSAY ... work or decide base on empirical data. Cause you are not gonna jump from a f?cking cliff just because of he said / she said , my uncle / my aunt said you won't die. Investigate , research and make your own educated conclusions based on your personal car.

Again for me :

1) A bad fuel filter will manifest itself . It will tell me when it needs to be replaced ... like somehow, I will be getting lean with an error code...provided that other parts of the car are good, then your fuel filter can be a suspect if it was never replaced.

2) Conditions of the vehicle use like place , how it is used and other factors. Is it a stock or highly modified car. Like with our highly modified cars , it is totally different . E85 f?cking cleans up the damn tank and carries that dirt to the lines especially with a huge a?s Weldon pump. That filter had to be replaced so often or you are damaging your expensive big a?s injectors.

So for me there is no FIX interval which I believe why it is not part of the regular lexus maintenance schedule not unless I miss it and for that reason I apologize that is why I want you guys check your Lexus SC300 / SC400 maintenance schedule documentation that came with the car or online. I have all the documention (all kind of user , repair , electrical , maintenance , supplemental manuals , you name it) of every year's SC300 / SC400 from 1992 to 2000 . I don't see the fuel filter as part of a regular maintenance item. Again not unless I missed it and for that reason I stand to be corrected.

Last edited by gerrb; 10-06-15 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-08-15, 06:55 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced mine only because it rotted out and started leaking after i bumped it with a jack, planned to replace it anyway do to rust, just not then. used a fuel filter that takes high pressure rubber hose @ each end & double clamps to ensure seal. Fuel lines were in good condition except @ farrel nut connections to filter, so easier to cut them off rather than try to get loose. Have to use alternate tech in the land of salt & calcium chloride. Still in stock place. Filter was still clean inside as I cut it in half to check, & that was @ 180k. Cleaned & painted the whole car underneath & no more winter driving with it. That's what the new Ford Explorer is for. Tacoma was just to far out of my price range.
Old 10-12-15, 10:03 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
You asked for thoughts...
I, personally think it's a really bad idea. SC fuel systems as is, are proven to last the life of the car generally. Why experiment with fuel using untested methods for no worthwhile gain? Not having to jack up the car once every 50K to 100K miles just isn't worthwhile gain. Now, instead of fuel running down your arms when you swap filters, it drips into your bay perhaps depending on placement. If I have a leak, I prefer it to be under the car, behind me.
Please don't play with your fuel unless you have to and are going with new, OEM parts or EXPERT installed upgraded parts.
I agree with Studio 100%. Change and be done with it.

Quick Reply: sc400 fuel filter relocation to engine bay...any thoughts?