SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

3 Spoke Steering Wheel - Single to Single Stage Wiring Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-11, 04:14 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 3 Spoke Steering Wheel - Single to Single Stage Wiring Issue

Hey everyone, I recently got a IS300 steering wheel off my buddy Blk97SC300. He had trouble remembering what color wires went to the airbag sensor and the new steering wheel's airbag. It's been a long time since he did it and someone else helped him.

** Before you try to flame me and say to search, I've been searching for over 2 hours and read through every thread that had the word "airbag" in its title. No information at all helped me. If its hidden somewhere then aint my fault cus clearly people cant title posts right in that case **

Below are some pics of the setup and I will briefly explain each pic.

New Steering Wheel:

Old Steering Wheel Airbag (Stock SC300 '94) Notice the yellow and blue wires come out of it (you'll see these color wires again inside the steering wheel itself):

New Steering Wheel Airbag (NOTICE: The color of the wires is different and is RED and BLACK!) (Link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...e#ht_651wt_895):

Now..Finally inside the wheel. There is 3 circles, #1, #2, #3. Each will be explained BELOW THE PICTURE!:

#1: These 2 wires went to the left on my old steering wheel to attach to the phone system. (Yes my car had an OEM phone inside the center dash compartment). So the BLACK and the GREEN wires here were useless since they just connected to a little unit that was attached to the steering wheel that answered phone calls and had a microphone in it)

#2: This is the Airbag Connector that comes from the inside of the car. Notice the similar yellow and blue wires from the original OEM Airbag the car came with. (Photo above).

#3: I had trouble getting my cruise control to work. I connected it by matching colors with the old steering wheel but for some reason when I tried to activate the CRUISE button...it would just flash on the dashboard like 4-5 times in intervals of like 1.5 seconds per flash and then would just turn off. It never stayed solid like its supposed to be when working correctly.

SOOOOOO.......what wires match up to what and how can I get my airbag connected without fu**ing it up and blowing in my face or something bad happening. And I would love it if my cruise control worked but wouldn't cry if it wont work anymore...

Thanks a lot and hopefully there is a solution. It's very possible there was another thread but I honestly searched for hours and nothing came up this specific....if there was another thread and you have access to it just post the link and dont be a **** about telling me to search...thanks

Last edited by Mortal300; 09-11-11 at 10:22 PM. Reason: new links
Old 09-11-11, 04:20 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

sorry cant help you with the airbag, but i had the same issue with cruise control. didnt find a solution but i just swapped out my cruise control stalk and wiring harness from the old steering wheel.
Old 09-11-11, 04:22 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by czar07
sorry cant help you with the airbag, but i had the same issue with cruise control. didnt find a solution but i just swapped out my cruise control stalk and wiring harness from the old steering wheel.
Yeah I tried that but the stock cruise control wouldnt fit in this one lol, it was a long rectangle and hit the metal part. The cruise control on the new wheel is more a square on the inside.

Thanks though!
Old 09-11-11, 05:54 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why don't you buy the adapter from Carson?
Old 09-11-11, 06:23 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
why don't you buy the adapter from Carson?
I thought the adapter was for going from dual stage to single stage?

how would I install the adapter if I have those wires hanging out from the new airbag? Or do they detach through the yellow clip that holds them on the new airbag?
Old 09-11-11, 06:27 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no the adapter is used if you swap to those wheels...

l-tuned also sells it.

i have the same steering wheel in my car.... btw us that lexus emblem custom???
Old 09-11-11, 06:41 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iridebmx
no the adapter is used if you swap to those wheels...

l-tuned also sells it.

i have the same steering wheel in my car.... btw us that lexus emblem custom???
Ahh I see...ok I'll take a look at the adapter. But how does the yellow adapter that is currently inside the new airbag (see pic above of new bag) come out? I just tried pulling it but it won't budge. It was just turning in circles. Do I gotta stick something inside to release the pins ?

and yes its custom..carbon fiber with a custom painted "L"
Old 09-11-11, 06:46 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=3097

if thats what your talking about then it won't help me

still would have those wires needing to be connected on the new bag that are different colors...

EDIT:

Here is a VERY similar airbag on ebay (which was where my new airbag was purchased from in the past from original owner)

That's the type of connector I need. Now how the hell do I find that lol. Call Carson and tell them the model number of the airbag?

Last edited by Mortal300; 09-11-11 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-11-11, 06:56 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who needs an adapter. Do it right. Solder the new plug onto the clockspring. COLORS ARE THE SAME !!!!

Old 09-11-11, 07:01 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Um clearly you did not read my post lol. The colors are not the same. My airbag comes from a Toyota Celica. Colors are RED and BLACK on the airbag and the car airbag connector is YELLOW and BLUE. I would love to solder them if the colors were correct. I think I would have done that by now............................

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...e#ht_651wt_895
Old 09-11-11, 07:50 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I have the exact same steering wheel and used this part from Carson Toyota to get it to work in my 1993 SC300: http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=3097

I did all of this at the end of July so I'm sure they still have adapters in stock.
Old 09-11-11, 09:00 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kira X
I have the exact same steering wheel and used this part from Carson Toyota to get it to work in my 1993 SC300: http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=3097

I did all of this at the end of July so I'm sure they still have adapters in stock.
Kira,

The problem is I do not have the original adapter that is part of the NEW airbag. The adapter will work ONLY if you have the original connector on the airbag.

SEE PICTURE BELOW. I DO NOT have that yellow connector circled in RED. I just have the 2 wires hanging out. If you can tell me how the connector matches up with the colors then I will be able to just solder the wires together!

To everyone: I repeat, I DO NOT have that yellow connector pictured above. If I did...I would have bought the connector a long time ago =)

Last edited by Mortal300; 09-11-11 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-12-11, 06:39 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the same boat man. I received my airbag with out the actual wire coming from the air bag. I bought the adapter wire from Carson, but you need the OEM wire coming from the back of the air bag to connect to the adapter. I made a post about this a few months ago and didn't get any help either. Everyone just said to ghetto rig the wiring and not use proper Toyota adapters. I've just been driving around with a dangerous non-working airbag that is also resulting in a dash light which will not pass a safety inspection due in March.

So, does anyone know the part number or where we can purchase the OEM Toyota air bag wire (not adapter).
Old 09-12-11, 09:26 AM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tabaka
I'm in the same boat man. I received my airbag with out the actual wire coming from the air bag. I bought the adapter wire from Carson, but you need the OEM wire coming from the back of the air bag to connect to the adapter. I made a post about this a few months ago and didn't get any help either. Everyone just said to ghetto rig the wiring and not use proper Toyota adapters. I've just been driving around with a dangerous non-working airbag that is also resulting in a dash light which will not pass a safety inspection due in March.

So, does anyone know the part number or where we can purchase the OEM Toyota air bag wire (not adapter).
All what we really need is someone with our same airbag to open their steering wheel and view the positioning of the airbag wires in reference to the adapter that comes from the car's firewall and then they will be able to tell us in which direction the different colors match up. Then we can just solder the wires and call it damn day.
Old 09-12-11, 10:46 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

Oh, I didn't realize your air bag didn't have that plug. Your best bet would probably be to solder the wires.

Has driving your SC without an air bag given you any trouble?

Quick Reply: 3 Spoke Steering Wheel - Single to Single Stage Wiring Issue