SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Steering wheel shakes BAD, brakes HOT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 07:50 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Steering wheel shakes BAD, brakes HOT!

I don't know what it is and its never happened before. My car is shaking really bad, and the steering wheel is shaking really bad only at highway speeds. So I pulled over and checked the steering and the tire pressure. Everything was fine. So I drove it home, went back out on the freeway today for work and again with the horrible shaking. So I brought it home again and took another look. The front wheels themselves were hot enough to melt the skin on my thumb, hurts really bad. Didn't even attempt to touch the front calipers (I felt the heat coming off of them! The rear calipers, rotors, and wheel I can touch just fine with it only being warm to the touch. What could be going on here? Anyone else have this problem before and how did you fix it? I really need transportation, and I love my Lexus
Old 09-08-11, 07:58 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say sticking caliper. That's what i am gambling on or warperd rotors or a combination of both..
Old 09-08-11, 08:02 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
I would say sticking caliper. That's what i am gambling on or warperd rotors or a combination of both..
In front only and on Both sides, so I dont think its a sticking caliper if it happened on both sides same time. Yeah they are sticking but not because of the caliper. :\ Also I dont drive the car much and I dont do any hard braking so the rotors arnt warped. Well they might be now because they got so hot...
Old 09-08-11, 11:01 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Any help guys? Could it be my master cylinder or brake booster is going out, or stuck?
Old 09-09-11, 12:15 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

sounds like warped rotors and sticking caliper. pull the sliding pin from the caliper and regrease it
Old 09-09-11, 06:02 AM
lemaylexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same issue. It was a locked caliper. I had to replace it. Does it get worse when you hit the brakes and gradually get better after you haven't touched them? That's what mine was doing, and yes, my rotors and caliper were scorching hot after every drive.
Old 09-09-11, 06:42 AM
HEWJsc4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack the front of your car up and see if you can spin the wheels freely by hand, if if they won't spin then it is most likely a problem with the calipers. My front left caliper was sticking and the symptoms you described match up. The heat coming off that wheel was extreme after even a short 2-3 mile drive. Luckily when i took it in to get fixed, the rotors were resurfaced only, they had not warped despite the hi temps they just got a little glazed over. Good luck, Time for LS brake upgrade maybe.
Old 09-09-11, 06:47 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You didnt believe me? lol
Old 09-09-11, 01:20 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

But guys, its both the front wheels, at the same time. What are the odds of both calipers sticking at the exact same time? Thats what leads me to believe its not the caliper thats the problem. :\
Old 09-09-11, 01:31 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are your rotors warped?
Old 09-09-11, 01:31 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

14 year old calipers are done sir. Yes, it's your calipers (which in time might have warped your rotors as well) Time to replace rotors and replace/rebuild calipers. If you need a "professional" to diagnose the issue, bring the car over to a shop or something.
Old 09-09-11, 07:08 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Are your rotors warped?
They werent before this happened, might be now though cuz of the high heat.

Originally Posted by Tabaka
14 year old calipers are done sir. Yes, it's your calipers (which in time might have warped your rotors as well) Time to replace rotors and replace/rebuild calipers. If you need a "professional" to diagnose the issue, bring the car over to a shop or something.
Hmm its odd they would both go out, the exact same time... I dont get it. And if I bring it to a shop its gonna cost like 60 bucks just for them to look at it.
Old 09-09-11, 08:31 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it make any noise? If not calipers maybe a wheel bearing. They cause alot of friction when they go out like you mentioned. the weird thing is both sides do it...hmmm
Old 09-09-11, 10:32 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

its not that hard to look for sticking calipers just take the wheels off and have a look. save youre self the measly 60 bucks
Old 09-12-11, 10:48 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

I gave up, I took a look at it, My Dad took a look at it. My dad thinks the master cylinder is leaking internally causeing the brakes not to release pressure correctly, which seems very possible. So Im taking it to the shop to have them verify it before I do any ordering of expensive parts :\

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shakes BAD, brakes HOT!