SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Some goodies to install!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-11, 09:36 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yep, a big difference in the alternator...nice "tips" too, I'm following your build closely, thx for sharing! Keep it coming.
Old 09-06-11, 11:00 AM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
yep, a big difference in the alternator...nice "tips" too, I'm following your build closely, thx for sharing! Keep it coming.
They must use an alternator from a different car. It's definately a modded "stock" unit, ..but larger. Fit, with no issues.

I DID have a time trying to remove the stock one. I could feel the bottom bolt, from the top, ...but couldnt get anything on it. I ended up jacking the car up, and pulling the undercarriage plastic, ...so I could get on it from the bottom. If it wasnt for that, ..it wouldve been a 20 min job.

If yall are interested, ..it came from eagleautoelactric, on ebay. Ive used them before, with good results. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-L...item53e8c23f4e It's definatley alot of amps, for the money. Some of the 250-300amp alternators run $400-500. I could probably use a 250 amp, ...but with the 1200 amp power cell, ..it should be ok. Between my two amps, ....Im running close to 2500 watts, rms (true watts, ..not inflated max numbers). And, ..then Im running two Viair 480 pumps, ..but those only run for 30 seconds, anyway.

Btw, ...the cable that I ran to the battery, ..is one that you can buy from harbor freight. Its a inverter cable set. http://www.harborfreight.com/6-ft-30...set-96249.html Fits perfect! I just put some 1/2" loom on it, ..for like $3.

I'll be using the black, for some extra grounds (cut up, with soldered ring terminals). Should have enough to do two from the block to the battery, ..and two from the battery to the chassis. I might add one from the top bolt in the alternator, to the pass side chassis,...just to make sure everythings tied in together.
Old 09-06-11, 01:19 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good job on the tips and alternator. I have the same alternator on my car from eagle electric as well. Do you think it makes a difference to replace add a 2gauge wire to the battery?
Old 09-06-11, 11:15 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by One HoT
good job on the tips and alternator. I have the same alternator on my car from eagle electric as well. Do you think it makes a difference to replace add a 2gauge wire to the battery?
Well, ..Im doing the "big 3", ..for my stereo install, The stock grounds suck. There's one small ground to the block. Alot of people run 0g from the alt, to the pos. battery post. I felt like adding a 2g, would be sufficient.

Does your whine, at all?

Mine whines a bit, when I first crank the car. My last one on my supra, was a 160amp, ..and it didnt whine at all.
Old 09-17-11, 02:26 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Sprayed some paint on my brakes!

Old 09-17-11, 03:23 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

dsmn that color looks good. what kind of paint did u use. engine enamel?
Old 09-17-11, 03:31 PM
lilSCsteve

Very nice, I'm diggin the brake color-different, you sir are on your way to becoming a STAR! LOL...hey can you pm details on the stickers? I remember seeing these somewhere else a while back.
Old 09-17-11, 04:43 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the comments. Yes, ..it's just some vht engine paint. I tried duplicolor 500 degree clear, ..and it SUCKED!!! So, I picked up some rustoleum 2000d clear, and it worked mucho better.

The color is burnt copper. It looks almost as good as automotive paint. The clear didnt die back much, after curing. Looks like a orange/copper pearlescent base color. Its kind of close to the anodized orange, on my K sport c/o's.

The stickers just came from a popular auction site. They were $9, ...but paypal reversed the charges, ...and I have no idea why. So, I guess they were free. :/
Old 09-17-11, 04:48 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Btw, ...in case some of you decide to use the rustoleum clear that I used. If you put it on thick like I did, ...it takes three days to get to where its cured enough to handle. I put about four coats, only letting it get tacky, in between. Im gonna let them sit one more day in the sun, and wax them. That'll keep brake dust from sticking, and make them easier to clean.
Old 09-17-11, 06:23 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

beautiful colour
Old 09-17-11, 07:48 PM
lilSCsteve

Originally Posted by na4now
Btw, ...in case some of you decide to use the rustoleum clear that I used. If you put it on thick like I did, ...it takes three days to get to where its cured enough to handle. I put about four coats, only letting it get tacky, in between. Im gonna let them sit one more day in the sun, and wax them. That'll keep brake dust from sticking, and make them easier to clean.
cool, appreciate the advice. I thought it might of been a burnt orange. similiar to the vette paint. I did some searching, and I found those stickers online. I'm going to order some, and keep them on standby for my BBK in the future.
Old 09-17-11, 09:45 PM
lexfrmtex
Driver

Good luck with the installs. Post some pics so we can see the finished product.
Old 09-17-11, 11:23 PM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brakes are those?
Old 09-17-11, 11:35 PM
Boboridesb
Rookie

that dc going in the rear lid? thats gunna be ALOT of sub for tht flimsy rear deck? any plans for it? tht alt is sexy, this is maken me want to add a system to mine....have had one my whole life. recent was 4 8's 2k rms, daily tune of 32hz low end monster for the win
Old 09-18-11, 03:19 AM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Boboridesb
that dc going in the rear lid? thats gunna be ALOT of sub for tht flimsy rear deck? any plans for it? tht alt is sexy, this is maken me want to add a system to mine....have had one my whole life. recent was 4 8's 2k rms, daily tune of 32hz low end monster for the win
Heck no, ...it's in a 1.75cu ft (net) with a 4" aero port tuned to 34hz. Im working on the trunk, still.

Quick Reply: Some goodies to install!