SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Virginia 5 speed sc300 trying to pass CA smog!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-11, 03:15 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Virginia 5 speed sc300 trying to pass CA smog!

Hi guys I bought a 5speed 93 sc300 from virginia.. I guess they only put 2 cats on the cars sold there.. when I got it here it wouldnt pass smog for **** They told me my cats were bad. Idk if I need to order new cats from Viginia or have to update the whole exhaust to be california legal? Any info would really help im not to sure about how to handle all this. thanks guys!
Old 08-26-11, 03:30 PM
gunyvw
Driver

yes for CA smog you have to have a third catalytic in the middle between the driver and passenger... it's unmonitored in most cases meaning no O'2s to worry about just weld a universal in.
Old 08-26-11, 03:55 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

ya I ordered a front and rear cat from magnaflow but the guys at the shop told me they were universal and would not be able to replace them with the current one's on the car. So i can cut a line in the exhaust and put 1 of those universal cats in between the front and rears cats that are currently on the car and it will pass smog?
Old 08-26-11, 05:58 PM
NerdRiot
Driver

Originally Posted by Devor
ya I ordered a front and rear cat from magnaflow but the guys at the shop told me they were universal and would not be able to replace them with the current one's on the car. So i can cut a line in the exhaust and put 1 of those universal cats in between the front and rears cats that are currently on the car and it will pass smog?
You currently only have two cats located directly after your downpipes (not sure what you mean by rear cats, maybe you're thinking about the two resonators before the mufflers) all you need to do is weld a universal cat into the section of straight pipe after your y pipe. Done deal.
Old 08-26-11, 06:36 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Someone correct me if I am wrong but despite the fact that California SC300's have three cats and 49-state cars have two you should not have to retrofit a third cat onto your car. Bad cats are another story entirely and those do need to be replaced if they aren't working any longer. I have not heard of them requiring someone to retrofit Cali emissions gear on a car that was never sold in California.

When I first moved here I brought an older 49-state emissions Prelude to Cali (which I had owned for some time) and I didn't have to change the car's emissions system. It was classified as a 49-state car and passed fine, though I did replace the cat before moving.

I've never heard of being required to add new components to the engine of a car never originally sold in CA. They just make you pay more for the initial registration when you bring it into the state.
Old 08-27-11, 03:20 AM
gunyvw
Driver

^^ you are probably 100 percent right kahnbb6 i don't know a thing about CA smog other than the CA sc400 has 3 cats,
devor said his sc300 cats where bad in april and he bought new ones, so i was attempting to pick up from that, here is the link to it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...nia-legal.html
i figured if he was still having a problem it could be that but i would just go to another smog station.
hell i am lucky i don't even have smog at all i am only in the DC area due to work.

Last edited by gunyvw; 08-27-11 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-27-11, 05:30 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Someone correct me if I am wrong but despite the fact that California SC300's have three cats and 49-state cars have two you should not have to retrofit a third cat onto your car. Bad cats are another story entirely and those do need to be replaced if they aren't working any longer. I have not heard of them requiring someone to retrofit Cali emissions gear on a car that was never sold in California.

When I first moved here I brought an older 49-state emissions Prelude to Cali (which I had owned for some time) and I didn't have to change the car's emissions system. It was classified as a 49-state car and passed fine, though I did replace the cat before moving.

I've never heard of being required to add new components to the engine of a car never originally sold in CA. They just make you pay more for the initial registration when you bring it into the state.

Originally Posted by gunyvw
^^ you are probably 100 percent right kahnbb6 i don't know a thing about CA smog other than the CA sc400 has 3 cats,
Yet you still anwsered like you knew!

OP-You can still pass smog even if your car is not a 50 state car. It will be considered a federalized vehicle to the smog tech.
Old 08-27-11, 07:14 AM
gunyvw
Driver

yes for CA smog you have to have a third catalytic in the middle between the driver and passenger... it's unmonitored in most cases meaning no O'2s to worry about just weld a universal in.
so you don't have a third cat. on the CA sc.

Originally Posted by GS FONZy

Yet you still anwsered like you knew!

OP-You can still pass smog even if your car is not a 50 state car. It will be considered a federalized vehicle to the smog tech.
OK thanks GS FONZY for pointing that out. BTW you spell the word answered that much i do know. while you look to criticize me make sure to check around your own back door.

i was just trying to let kahnbb6 know that he seemed to be more on point about the topic.

Last edited by gunyvw; 08-27-11 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-28-11, 09:23 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

So can anyone answer my question? I'm going to my friends shop tomorrow to see what they say.. I kinda want to swap the stock exhaust system out and just put a single muffler on it.. If I replace the piping and just use these 2 universal cats will I pass CA smog?
Old 08-28-11, 10:50 PM
gunyvw
Driver

sorry D... it seems that if you have these then you may be able to physically cut them in.

it seems that the only REAL hold up is that the cat(s). have to meet California standards from the inside.

MAGNAFLOW UNIVERSAL FIT CALIFORNIA OBDII CONVERTERS

CATALOG: CALIFORNIA
INLET: 2.25in.
OUTLET: 2.25in.
CONFIGURATION: Center/Center
BODY SHAPE: Oval
BODY LENGTH: 9in.
WIDTH: 6.5in.
OVERALL LENGTH: 13in.
FEATURES: UNIVERSAL CATALYTIC CONVERTER; CALIFORNIA PRE-OBDII - VEHICLE SPECIFIC

Converters designated “California OBDII” are designed to meet the more stringent requirements as set forth by the California Air Resources Board.

here's a diagram of your system... 95 sc300 included: with cats. at 5 and 6
Attached Thumbnails Virginia 5 speed sc300 trying to pass CA smog!-sc300-cat-system.jpg  
Old 08-29-11, 02:41 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

OK thanks GS FONZY for pointing that out. BTW you spell the word answered that much i do know. while you look to criticize me make sure to check around your own back door.

i was just trying to let kahnbb6 know that he seemed to be more on point about the topic.
GS FONZY definitely knows his stuff. I've had experience with exactly two completely stock engined cars in Cali in three years of residency. All I can confirm is that I was able to register and smog a 49-State emissions car that I had owned for eight years (with the main cat recently replaced with a brand new OEM) and wasn't required to retrofit any CA-specific emissions gear.
Old 08-29-11, 08:49 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL...
sorry D... it seems that if you have these then you may be able to physically cut them in.

it seems that the only REAL hold up is that the cat(s). have to meet California standards from the inside.

MAGNAFLOW UNIVERSAL FIT CALIFORNIA OBDII CONVERTERS

CATALOG: CALIFORNIA
INLET: 2.25in.
OUTLET: 2.25in.
CONFIGURATION: Center/Center
BODY SHAPE: Oval
BODY LENGTH: 9in.
WIDTH: 6.5in.
OVERALL LENGTH: 13in.
FEATURES: UNIVERSAL CATALYTIC CONVERTER; CALIFORNIA PRE-OBDII - VEHICLE SPECIFIC

Converters designated “California OBDII” are designed to meet the more stringent requirements as set forth by the California Air Resources Board.

here's a diagram of your system... 95 sc300 included: with cats. at 5 and 6
Yet, here you go again! Why would he need OBD2 cats on a OBD1 vehicle?

OP-Take your car to a mechanic and have them trouble shot the reason for not passing smog. Like I said above, you do not have to have a 50 state vehicle inorder to pass CA emissions. However, all emission components in the vehicle have to be working correctly to pass.
Old 08-29-11, 10:24 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I passed with only 1 working cat, the first cat was removed when running some headers. So like they said before if your car is failing try to figure out why and fix it. It can fail for a bunch of reasons including bad cats. You can run non CARB cats and still pass but it's a huge fine for the shops who install them. If you were to order the cats, ship them in from out of state, weld them and go re-take the test it will be the cheapest way for you. I believe here in CA they are forcing OBDII cats to be sold by the shops for all cars now because.... well they can. It's not needed but it's one of those things that makes CA so great.
Old 08-29-11, 01:12 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Ya Im gonna take it the muffler shop and see what they can do as far as a new exhaust on the car I think there are a few leaks in it. I know the stock cats are toast so If they can use my universal cats and install new piping and a new muffler for a good deal imma do that
Old 08-29-11, 01:14 PM
gunyvw
Driver

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
LOL...

Yet, here you go again! Why would he need OBD2 cats on a OBD1 vehicle?

OP-Take your car to a mechanic and have them trouble shot the reason for not passing smog. Like I said above, you do not have to have a 50 state vehicle inorder to pass CA emissions. However, all emission components in the vehicle have to be working correctly to pass.
you seem to know every d*** thing but how to read/spell or interpret for that matter. which doesn't leave much else. but you are to BUSY attacking me to give a blank i guess.

if you READ what he said, the guy has NOT installed the cats. yet.
if your READ what he said, the shop told him his ARE SHOT.

oh and since you like to laugh out loud about the things i say here's another one of YOUR OWN misnomers.
"Take your car to a mechanic and have them trouble shot the reason for not passing smog"
......... also, like you said "here we go again" the word is spelled SHOOT, for the purpose of context.

damn while you seem to be able to quote me, backup and quote someone else then mix in a weak attempt at a backhand slap. you cant seem to draw your d*** smarter than a fifth grader finger back one more time to click the d*** spell check button, or put a damn sentence into context.
hell the computer even puts a LINE under the misspelling for you, WTF.

i didn't say he NEEDED OBD11 cats. OBD ten or 35's for that matter, i said if he HAS the type of universal cats. LISTED IN the above , which he may or may not, those specs. and all of the followup are WHAT MAGNAFLOW SAYS about them.

(i don't know if he has the same ones or not yet because between me attempting to help him and fight off your personal, unfounded, unsolicited attacks it's kind of difficult to do)

Last edited by gunyvw; 08-29-11 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Virginia 5 speed sc300 trying to pass CA smog!