SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

cont' 1996 LEXUS SC400 JM LEXUS INSPECTION REPORT!!! WOW

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 11:13 AM
hudd1988
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cont' 1996 LEXUS SC400 JM LEXUS INSPECTION REPORT!!! WOW

Well just take a look and see what kind of lemon I would have ended up with if I didnt have the car inspected by a Lexus Dealership (JM Lexus) of Pompano, Fla. Best $100 I ever spent!!! Potential buyers beware of this car!!!
Attached Files
Old 08-20-11, 11:20 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

shame a A SC with under 100k is in such crappy mechanical condition..

looked descent on the outside.. too much $$$ imo.

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars...+400_138691488
Old 08-20-11, 12:44 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

lol all that report shows is how ridiculously shamefully overpriced the dealer is.

There was no significant problems there at all im not sure what the problem is????

The solenoid code doesnt mean you need to replace the whole transmission, and 3100$ for a tranny plus labour lol?? These dealers need to be boycotted or worse.

(edit) I looked at the add paco posted and that car looks clean man with low mileage also, dont pay no mind to this report those are all common problem, tires, fluids, tires, power steering etc.......try to offer him $4500 or $5000 see what happens.
Old 08-20-11, 12:47 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I cant believe there is people still out there that will pay for those prices. They are idiots in my opinion.. Over 500 to replace an antenna, come on people...
Old 08-20-11, 12:51 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

saved yourself from a transmission job
Old 08-20-11, 12:51 PM
shboni
Pole Position

shoudnt the inspection be free

and yea those do seem like some pretty common problems....

and their replacing it with dealer prices and labor
Old 08-20-11, 01:31 PM
flip3d
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not that bad. Like any other used car out there. You must read consumer report magazine.
Old 08-20-11, 01:34 PM
hudd1988
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
lol all that report shows is how ridiculously shamefully overpriced the dealer is.

There was no significant problems there at all im not sure what the problem is????

The solenoid code doesnt mean you need to replace the whole transmission, and 3100$ for a tranny plus labour lol?? These dealers need to be boycotted or worse.

(edit) I looked at the add paco posted and that car looks clean man with low mileage also, dont pay no mind to this report those are all common problem, tires, fluids, tires, power steering etc.......try to offer him $4500 or $5000 see what happens.

Yeah we all know how overpriced the dealerships are but it shows the potential problems right off the bat. Engine with a new raditor with very low coolant. I spoke with the tech who told me the car will be nothing but trouble. He also stated there are several qualified shops who could do the repair work much cheaper. Do I want to offer him 4500 and then spend another 3k in it..hell no!!! I would rather pay 7k for a car that has been properly maintained by its owner(s) with records/receipts to show.
Old 08-20-11, 01:37 PM
hudd1988
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shboni
shoudnt the inspection be free

and yea those do seem like some pretty common problems....

and their replacing it with dealer prices and labor

I have never received a free inspection when having a car by an owner taken to a dealership for a 100% front to back inspection. To each its own I would rather pay $100 for an inspection then to shell out thousands of dollars just because a car looks good IMO
Old 08-20-11, 01:39 PM
hudd1988
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jadu
saved yourself from a transmission job
A tranmission job along with new tires, new struts, perhaps a engine rebuild, etc etc.
Old 08-20-11, 01:42 PM
hudd1988
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flip3d
That's not that bad. Like any other used car out there. You must read consumer report magazine.
A engine with a new radiator with very low coolant, a flithy transmission with leaks and very dark transmission fluid, as well as needing new struts. Seems bad too me which is why I passed on the car. For God's sake this car has less than 100k. A buddy of mine bought a 3owner 94 SC400 at 125k miles with all maintance receipts and now has over 280k miles with regular scheduled maintance. Iam not a stranger to cars and know first hand that a properly maintained toyota will last and last. I have a beater 4 owner 95 Corolla with 250k miles on the clock. which had a telephone book stack of maintance receipts.I purchased the car with 180k miles 5yrs ago...just regular oil changes and all the other common maintance and she is still running strong. Iam on the lookout for a 96 SC400...Iam a patient guy and all ways end up getting what I want in the end.

Last edited by hudd1988; 08-20-11 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added sentences
Old 08-20-11, 01:44 PM
hudd1988
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
I cant believe there is people still out there that will pay for those prices. They are idiots in my opinion.. Over 500 to replace an antenna, come on people...

LOL when I saw how much the dealership would charge for an antenna to be replaced.
Old 08-20-11, 03:15 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hudd1988
A tranmission job along with new tires, n
ew struts, perhaps a engine rebuild, etc etc.
I really think perhaps they made too much of it, that is what mechanics and especially dealers do.

I dont see anything that would suggest the engine would need rubuilding, new tires is nothing considering they are stock fatties u can get good used ones for 20-30$ a piece. The struts were probably fine for a long time to go also.
Originally Posted by hudd1988
A engine with a new radiator with very low coolant, a flithy transmission with leaks and very dark transmission fluid, as well as needing new struts. Seems bad too me which is why I passed on the car. For God's sake this car has less than 100k. A buddy of mine bought a 3owner 94 SC400 at 125k miles with all maintance receipts and now has over 280k miles with regular scheduled maintance. Iam not a stranger to cars and know first hand that a properly maintained toyota will last and last. I have a beater 4 owner 95 Corolla with 250k miles on the clock. which had a telephone book stack of maintance receipts.I purchased the car with 180k miles 5yrs ago...just regular oil changes and all the other common maintance and she is still running strong. Iam on the lookout for a 96 SC400...Iam a patient guy and all ways end up getting what I want in the end.
Question did you drive the car at all?

was the tranny acting up?

We all know these cars can throw codes sometimes and it doesnt always mean the part has completely failed.

And if so the solonoids replacement is not the end of the world.

Brake fluid and tranny fluid going black? hard to belive man, most likely it just wasnt very fresh. I just think these guys are doing what they ussualy do---setting you up for the big hit.

Its criminal and when my lexus broke down the dealer tried to do this too me also, its nothing new man dont trust them or what they say, get a second opinion.

Try a new inspection at a trusted independant place if you can.
Old 08-20-11, 03:25 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

first of all who buys used tires? IF you can afford a 6k car you can afford new set of tires. Trans could be or could not be going bad, very unlikely but possible. 3100 for a new unit is not bad at all i didnt look at the report but if that is with labor its excellent price.
OP good luck!
Old 08-20-11, 03:56 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MDSC
first of all who buys used tires? IF you can afford a 6k car you can afford new set of tires. Trans could be or could not be going bad, very unlikely but possible. 3100 for a new unit is not bad at all i didnt look at the report but if that is with labor its excellent price.
OP good luck!
anytime ive needed to buy stock tires to pass certification or if one blew or whatever I just buy used ones, why not.

Why buy brand new stocckies when in most cases they are just temporary till u get a nice set of wheels, I was just letting him know that worn out tires are no reason to pass up on a car, there are very cheap options to fix that issue.

$3100 plus labour is an excelent price for a tranny swap? get real man.

Sometimes some of us look for the less expensive fix, probably for the same reason u have knock off wheels on your car as opposed to the real thing.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 08-20-11 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: cont' 1996 LEXUS SC400 JM LEXUS INSPECTION REPORT!!! WOW