SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Autocrossing the SC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 06:46 AM
V8KLLA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocrossing the SC?

Any of you guys autocross? I'm looking to get into it with a couple of my buddies and I need to stay competitive. My real competition comes from my friends Impreza. It's a 2.5RS coupe, while not turbocharged, the car handles really well and is plenty quick on the low end.

My car is already on a set of Tein Flex coilovers and I have a lightweight set of BBS wheels and good tires going on the car but what else can I do to it? Is there a good source for suspension parts??
Old 08-15-11, 06:52 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless your sliding it around the cones I doubt the pig weight of the SC will be ideal for autocross. Pick up a cheap miata and run circles around your friend .
Old 08-15-11, 08:03 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Hope you have 1jz stock twins, lsd, slicks, and good breaks. You should be ok. I've xcrossed my sc for many years and the hardest part is realizing how big the car really is. With practice you will get better in handling it. Might also want to try disconnecting the rear sway bar.
Old 08-15-11, 08:04 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

being a ex autoX'er my self, i say the sc will do well seeing as its rear wheel drive. the weight of the car wont matter much if u drive well. one thing i do suggest is, from personal experience, a battery tie down and more cooling. try and get urself soem good fans and maintain ur car with oil change and top of the line fluids. autoX puts a lot of strain on ur cars engine and suspension so be prepared to fix crap frequently. Good tires are a must so make sure u have two sets of rims because u dont want to waste ur good tires on regurlar driving seeing as if u autoX as much as i used to, ur track tires shouldnt last u more then 6 months. GL

SCCA woot woot! :P
Old 08-15-11, 09:11 AM
V8KLLA
Driver

LOL no Miata for me. I did have an EG hatch that I was going to build for Auto-X but I sold it to buy the SC.

No 1JZ, my car is a 400, so 1UZ FTW!!!!!

LSD is a good suggestion, lots of $$$ though.

I forgot to mention I am going to do the LS400 BBK with good rotors and pads.

I've got a good set of tires, but we only Auto-X once a month here so I should be good for a while. I'll pick up a track set up (wheels/tires) if I have to.

I always maintain the car but more cooling wouldnt hurt.

Thanks for the tips, keep em coming.

Any suspension parts I can put on the car to help handling??
Old 08-15-11, 09:20 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure how good it will handle in such a tight course, but my SC did great in cayon/twisty roads. My buddy (1997 Vett) could not keep up and when he was leading, he could not leave me. I was right on his @$$ ready to pass him. All I have were tein basic coils, cf trunk and light weight rays. I was impressed with how the SC handled. I never wanted to go with him because I thought the SC was so heavy and would not track well, but now my buddy wants coils on his vett after seing how well my car handled.

With that said, I'm sure you can make it work with your SC, but there are better lighter cars out there to autocross with. However, the SC is not a complete pig like people think, it does handle rather well. Some good wheels/tire combo, some suspesion tweaks, and a diet, the SC can be tons of fun!
Old 08-15-11, 09:26 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

polyurethane bushings... but get the kit from daizen and make sure u get the full kit with sleeves bushings washers... EVERYTHING, trust me u will need all these parts. also make sure u order far in advance because they are always backordered.

buy a lot of blue masking tape... lol... ur gunna need it. the beigeish one sucks dont get that one. trust me get blue it peels off easier.

even though it will affect ur stats, go slow and familiarize urself with the track the first run. these are not perfectly paved for racers like u and i. one false move and u will end up against a wall. give urself a walk thru of the track even though the old school ppl might laugh and think ur another dumb rookie. in my case i care more about my car then the sport itself so i took every precaution. its very easy to get lost out there.

also get urself an onboard camera... it will help u realize what ur doing wrong when u watch it over. u can always go a second faster once u realize what turn ur going to slow on... with that i went from close to last to 19th place out of easily over 500 cars.
Old 08-15-11, 10:52 AM
V8KLLA
Driver

O yea, the car has the Daizen bushings already too!!

We Auto-X on closed down runways, so no close walls to worry about, jus grass.

I know the car is heavy and there are way better cars out there to do it with BUT I already have the SC so im gonna try it out. I don't even have to be the best, just don't want to get whooped real bad.

Already have a GoPro HD ready for racing!!

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 08-15-11, 04:39 PM
Sc1Uz
Driver School Candidate

i myself am interested in autoXing my SC400. but before i autoX i am going to get very familiar and comfortable with the car. our autoX tracks we have here in huntsville, alabama are old runways as well, but they all have loose gravel in spots and no matter how hard we try, we can never make a good running course around the loose spots. so we sweep it as much as we can and go from there. i've been looking into bushings and i'll take your advice on the daizen kit. GoPro is my next addition to my cameras! My buddy bought one for his Z06 and it helped him trim off 2 seconds just in his first run after watching previous runs. thanks for the advice, and thanks V8KLLA for posting!
Old 08-15-11, 06:14 PM
VinSCe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll definitely be able to autocross an SC. And depending on how good of a driver you are, you'll still be competitive.

Yeah, your car is going to weight a lot more than most of your competition but seat time and properly tuned suspension will mask the weight problem.

The only real issue here is the expense. Light cars like a Miata aren't going to kill your brake pads, tires, and other consumables (which = $$$) as much as heavier cars would.
Old 08-15-11, 08:10 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the SC is as competitive as this in Auto-X

Old 08-15-11, 08:20 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
I'm not sure how good it will handle in such a tight course, but my SC did great in cayon/twisty roads. My buddy (1997 Vett) could not keep up and when he was leading, he could not leave me. I was right on his @$$ ready to pass him. All I have were tein basic coils, cf trunk and light weight rays. I was impressed with how the SC handled. I never wanted to go with him because I thought the SC was so heavy and would not track well, but now my buddy wants coils on his vett after seing how well my car handled.

With that said, I'm sure you can make it work with your SC, but there are better lighter cars out there to autocross with. However, the SC is not a complete pig like people think, it does handle rather well. Some good wheels/tire combo, some suspesion tweaks, and a diet, the SC can be tons of fun!
your friend dosent know how to drive. You do realize that 97 vette has torsion bar type suspension? You cannot put it on coilovers.
Old 08-15-11, 08:21 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

^^ lol @the boat^^.........
Old 08-15-11, 08:27 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i agree with suislide, sc isnt a good auto x platform. Road race/Drag race much better.
Old 08-15-11, 09:30 PM
Dv8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old pig did just fine. JIC coils, brakes, 1j on stock twins, twin plate, 2 way, R compound tires. Sure I couldnt keep pace with a modified STI or S2k, but who cares. Anyone who takes running cones in a parking lot seriously needs help. Even if your car isnt that set up its a blast beating the tar out of it for an afternoon.

Quick Reply: Autocrossing the SC?