SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

O'Reilly Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 06:53 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O'Reilly Coolant

O'Reilly has this coolant at $12.99 for a gallon of the concentrate. They say it's compatible with all cars, and can act in the place of any coolant. I've never heard of such a thing before today. I really need a good price on coolant - If I don't get this cheap O'Reilly stuff, then I wont be able to afford a different coolant on top of the alternator, transmission filter/gasket combo, and T-IV ATF that I'm getting.

What do you guys think about using this O'Reilly "chameleon" coolant (made up nickname)?
Old 08-03-11, 07:16 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if it's using that or old stuff... I would go with the new, unless you can wait a bit.
Old 08-03-11, 07:18 PM
copermn
Rookie

any coolant should work fine, as long as it has a LOW LOW freezing point. And make sure it's not the 50/50 coolant and water stuff. That's overpriced and you can easily make the 50/50 stuff yourself.
Old 08-03-11, 07:23 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Nice. You guys are helpful. I've gotten so much amazing help from this site, but sometimes I get worried because I've been reprimanded for asking "stupid" questions. Hey, every little bit helps! I'll make sure the stuff has a low freezing point. How low are we talking? What is considered low?
Old 08-03-11, 08:14 PM
94LEXUS400
Driver

Why not use toyota pink coolant?
Just wondering.
Old 08-03-11, 08:16 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just pay a extra $8 for toyota coolant. I say get the red, since the pink one is premixed already, you get more bang for your buck
Old 08-03-11, 08:31 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Just pay a extra $8 for toyota coolant. I say get the red, since the pink one is premixed already, you get more bang for your buck
Excellent decision, but when I say I'm strapped, I literally mean it, I never skip out on things on my car, but I'm literally budgeting down to the penny. I have exactly $220, and that's got to get me the alternator ($150.45), fluid and gasket combo ($21.59), gasket sealant($6.47), 4 quarts of T-IV ($33.01) and coolant. The other stuff adds up to $211.52. If I scrounge around for change, I should be able to get the gallon of the O'Reilly brand concentrate coolant and a gallon of distilled water.

There is already a quarter tank of gas in the car. I can pay for all of the items listed above on Friday and must have the car ready by Saturday. I wont be getting more money for another three weeks bu I have a few appointments I need to get to. When I can, I'll be doing a proper full transmission fluid exchange and switching in some good high quality coolant. I'm trying to solve a short term problem.

I probably will end up getting the red coolant you recommended, but for now, this cheap stuff is going to have to do I guess.
Old 08-03-11, 08:33 PM
Gate
Pole Position

My cars aren't usually in such dire need of repairs but I just bought this thing. I love it dearly, but it needs work.
Old 08-03-11, 08:39 PM
DWPsc3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get that coolant wouldnt u need to flush it. I dont think mixing coolants would be good. If it's already red coolant then just keep it red. My friend mixed his red coolant with that prestone green and his coolant came out looking like no other hahah. We just did his radiator flush today too.
Old 08-03-11, 08:51 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DWPsc3
If you get that coolant wouldnt u need to flush it. I dont think mixing coolants would be good. If it's already red coolant then just keep it red. My friend mixed his red coolant with that prestone green and his coolant came out looking like no other hahah. We just did his radiator flush today too.
Yes, it's true, you shouldn't mix coolant. I actually explained my situation to the employee at O'Reilly over the phone but he said that this coolant is compatible with all others.

Your caution is strongly heeded, but I think my car can make it through the three weeks with this stuff - it should be better than leaving it at the drastically low point it is at now, or adding just distilled water. I like to keep everything in check, but got in over my head during the preparation of a vast series of repairs so the car has been stationary for quite some time now. I had to remove the coolant overflow tank in order to gain easier access to the alternator to remove that, so not only is all the coolant in there gone, but when I disconnected one of the major coolant hoses quite a bit came out of there to. So the coolant is very low.
Old 08-03-11, 08:52 PM
Gate
Pole Position

And yes I strongly believe you are right, when I change it in three weeks I most certainly will give the coolant a flush.
Old 08-03-11, 08:56 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

The Toyota Coolant is just extended life that follows their extended service schedule.

Get the all in one and a gallon of distilled water and you'll be able to make plenty until you can flush the radiator and block.

Sort of personal but are you jobless right now? That's a pretty strict budget.
Old 08-03-11, 09:18 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... or just put distilled water in it. with the coolant that's in the system already, it'll be fine, unless you live in a climate that will drop below freezing before you can get a coolant flush done.
Old 08-03-11, 09:27 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TechGreek
The Toyota Coolant is just extended life that follows their extended service schedule.

Get the all in one and a gallon of distilled water and you'll be able to make plenty until you can flush the radiator and block.

Sort of personal but are you jobless right now? That's a pretty strict budget.
Oh goodness, I wouldn't take responsibility of a vehicle without an income. But yes, I am jobless. I receive a disability income. I just graduated from El Portal, a pharmacy technician school, but have yet to complete an internship and pass my state exam, both of which are required to become certified. After doing that though, I believe I'll find it much easier to gain employment.

I will most likely get the Toyota brand coolant and do a proper flush when I get the chance. This all just a temporary problem. I need to be mobile in the mean time.

It's very difficult to maintain as well as pay off a car on my income while also affording food and lodging. I spend most of my time living comfortably on the couch at a friend's house, but have spent much time living in the car during months that I can't afford to pay for my own rent, utilities, and food. Right now I'm living at my girlfriend's family's house exchanging rides for the little kids for rent since I can't give her mom cash due to my monthly payments on the car. I was very lucky that one of my friend's mom was willing to accept payments on it, I can't make payments on a car from a used dealer, not a good one anyways, I'm still a ghost in the credit system.
Old 08-03-11, 09:30 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I'll send you $10 via PayPal to help out your budget if you want it for the Coolant.

Quick Reply: O'Reilly Coolant