Suprus's 1JZ swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 09:32 PM
suprus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suprus's 1JZ swap thread

Hey everyone,
SO I know everyone and their mom has a 1jz swap thread but I just started mine today so obviously I have to start my own as well. I figure I can mostly use it for questions should need arise, which I have not doubt it will. Anyway, I got my 1j from an importer and it seems to be in ehh ok shape. Seems like everything is there minus power steering resevoir and one or two other small things. Wiring harness could be in better condition but I think it will be okay. It came with an r154 with a remote shifter and Im thinking the 1j is most likely from a chaser but im not exactly sure.

SO, today I took off the front sump oil pan and checked out the internals. Seems pretty clean no sludge or anything. I swapped over my rear sump and resealed it with the toyota black fipg. prett staight forward.

Then I swapped out the 1jz ac compressor for a 2jz ac compressor. But i was wondering about the plugs. Do I just cut and solder the 1jz plug onto the 2jz compressor to work with the 1j wiring harness? they look almost the same except for the plugs themselves.

Then I was going to swap the water pump but forgot I need the SST for the crank pulley. I called the toyota dealer aropund the corner from my house and he said he didnt think he could get that tool.. What have you guys done?

So instead I rewired all my new coil plugs because all the old ones were dry rotted and cracking, and also put in new spark plugs (ngk 3330's) those should be okay right?

Then I took off the r154 tranny to check out the clutch and such, which turned out to be a little on the worn side. I may as well just change it now while I have the tranny out of the car so im debating on what to use. Im going to be using stock boost for a while untill I can afford a single turbo kit and stuff so I was thinking maybe just use a stock clutch, but then at the same time im thinking why do that when I can upgrade. Maybe a horsepower freaks bronze or something? what do you guys think?

Last I was going to swap the alternator for the 2j one but I was looking at them and they look pretty much the same so I think I can use the same one minus the plugs again?

I know I should probably just USE THE SEARCH BUTTON but this is a forum and I like talking to you guys. I get more excited and motivated to work on my **** when others are giving me feedback. I dont have any car friends and I ran my clutch delima past my roommate (who knows nothing about cars) and he just looked at me blankly then walked away. So give me some feedback and ill post again when I have more updates!
Old 08-02-11, 05:29 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nah man. u do what u gotta do. the people on this forum need to relax with the whole search thing. im gonna do my own 1jz swap thread soon. but only after i complete the entire swap. im taking pictures of everything i do. rather do that first then have people wait months for an update.

as far as the altenator goes. yeah you'll have to change the plugs over. i believe you need to go from the round plug to an oval one. i wouldn't change the altenator until you are certain you need a higher amperage unit.

from what i know so far. the altenator is 100amp. u can only get up to around 120amps with one from a 2jzgte that was attached to an automatic transmission. thats what i was told anyway since im wiring up electric fans for my swap and ditching the clutch fan.

any Standard Crankshaft puller tool will work for you as far as that goes.

i would go with u on the clutch deal and change it before you put it in. just save yourself the trouble. its 10x harder in the car in my opinion.

i was lucky with my swap when i re-used the a/c compressor from my sc300. the one on the 1jz was seized. they had the same plugs. probably because my 1jz came out the same year car my own lexus is. who knows.

anyways. best of luck to you. but up lots of pics lol
Old 08-02-11, 07:48 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

There's nothing wrong with posting up projects, hell that's why we are all here. Because we love our cars and love to do things to them.

The whole "search" thing I think is a little blown out of proportion. There is a ton of knowledge and some things can be hard to find. I for one have spent hours searching and have about 50 saved threads all about different aspects that I plan on upgrading at some point.

The thing I think a lot of people are getting sick of is the whole "What should I do, 1j vs 2j vs V8" or "What body kit should I get" stuff. It gets old because all that does is turn into a **** measuring contest between everyone who thinks they have the 1 perfect solution.

If you are running into issues that you need help with, please post or if you search and find the solution post the fix. There are a lot of DIYers on here who have done it, or have struggled with the same issues.

With my diatribe all done...GOOD LUCK! oh yeah, and post pics!
Old 08-02-11, 08:23 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Besides I like reading these type of build and swaps. It's informative. Because everyone does it different.
Old 08-02-11, 10:03 AM
luvmysc400
Lead Lap

which electric fan setup you going with. Gl with the the build.
Old 08-02-11, 02:21 PM
suprus
Driver

Originally Posted by DoomLight
nah man. u do what u gotta do. the people on this forum need to relax with the whole search thing. im gonna do my own 1jz swap thread soon. but only after i complete the entire swap. im taking pictures of everything i do. rather do that first then have people wait months for an update.

as far as the altenator goes. yeah you'll have to change the plugs over. i believe you need to go from the round plug to an oval one. i wouldn't change the altenator until you are certain you need a higher amperage unit.

from what i know so far. the altenator is 100amp. u can only get up to around 120amps with one from a 2jzgte that was attached to an automatic transmission. thats what i was told anyway since im wiring up electric fans for my swap and ditching the clutch fan.

any Standard Crankshaft puller tool will work for you as far as that goes.

i would go with u on the clutch deal and change it before you put it in. just save yourself the trouble. its 10x harder in the car in my opinion.

i was lucky with my swap when i re-used the a/c compressor from my sc300. the one on the 1jz was seized. they had the same plugs. probably because my 1jz came out the same year car my own lexus is. who knows.

anyways. best of luck to you. but up lots of pics lol
Hhaha im glad everyone didnt get all hostile over the search button thing because trust me I have used the crap out of it. But I I understand what yuo are talking about with the alternator, but I was just hoping that I could use the 1jz one because the stock one from my sc crapped out on me last week. So instead of buying another sc alternator I was planning on just using the one that came with the 1j (which seems to be in decent shape). I think im just going to use the stock clutch fans so it shouldnt be a problem right?
Old 08-02-11, 02:24 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

^^
Alt options are 80 & 100 replacements. You can get higher, check Supraforums

What year is your SC? You may not have to change the plugs
Old 08-02-11, 05:57 PM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting a 1jz only seems like EVERYBODY has one but its only on the forums. I personally have seen only like 5 1jz swaps in any car in california, with my own eyes that is. So dont let it bring you down that you have a 1jz.
Old 08-02-11, 09:32 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

i agree with u there. i've only seen two 1jz swaps here, three 2jz swaps and one NA-T swap locally.

im sure there are more. but its hard to tell when people keep it sleeper with the intercooler behind a stock bumper.
Old 08-03-11, 01:26 AM
suprus
Driver

Ya I guess you guys are right. Now that I think about it I have only seen 2 na-t sc300's here in Phoenix.. And 88supra mines a '92 and I took a look at the plugs and I think I will have to change them they are not the same shape. Im not really sure what year the 1j is but I can post up some pics tomorrow and maybe you guys can help identify it for me. Also I think the timing belt may have been changed by someone already? I thought that was kind of strange seeing how they told me it only had 45,000 miles on it (I know they say that all the time though) Not really sure if I should be worried about this or not? but it kinda worries me a little ya know.. ANyway I will put up some pics tomorrow when I get another chord for my camera.
Old 08-03-11, 01:41 AM
VinSCe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We all can appreciate a good build thread. It's very constructive for the community.
Old 08-03-11, 09:24 AM
arbalist
Driver School Candidate

I personally wouldn't worry too much about the belt looking as if it had been changed since mentioned in an earlier posted that when you swapped pans, and the bottom end looked clean and sludge free (which in my experience is a better indicator of the condition of the motor).

Let me know if you need a hand with the swap. I like up just a bit north of you and have experience wiring a harness from scratch for a mk3 supra....and i like beer?
Old 08-03-11, 07:22 PM
suprus
Driver

Originally Posted by arbalist
I personally wouldn't worry too much about the belt looking as if it had been changed since mentioned in an earlier posted that when you swapped pans, and the bottom end looked clean and sludge free (which in my experience is a better indicator of the condition of the motor).

Let me know if you need a hand with the swap. I like up just a bit north of you and have experience wiring a harness from scratch for a mk3 supra....and i like beer?
Bro you just made my night. The wiring harness was what I have been most hesitant about. I feel like im going in blind, I have no experience with car wiring besides radio and speakers, and I have no wiring diagrams or anything. I have a few threads saved for things like the tach and temp guage and such but thats about it. So I will be working on some stuff tomorrow and all this weekend if you want to come by! And you name the beer, ill buy! Ill pm you my phone number
Old 08-03-11, 07:25 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

There are TONs of threads on here all about wiring. PM me and I'll send you a ton of links that I researched
Old 08-03-11, 08:12 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey there fellow. I too am doing a 1jz swap into a sc400 right now. i just got my oil pan debacle figured out when it came to the return line taping and dying.

as far as the alt iam not sure. iam sending out my harness to be done by someone else as i suck when it comes to electircal stuff..

i also have a front sump 1jz so your car came from a chaser also. i had an auto on mine(like a brand new unit). my timing belt also looks new. My spark plug wires are crumbling. and my plugs also need to get replaced.

i am also using a sc300 ac compressor on my 1jz engine. yes it bolts up. and i was going to get some custom plugs or bend the existing ones to fit.

Quick Reply: Suprus's 1JZ swap thread