SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Suprus's 1JZ swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-11, 05:17 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah that motor is pretty sludged up unfortunately. Don't feel bad, mine had some sludge too It's a chance we take when we order an engine site unseen.

Most people are going to recommend that you do oil pump, water pump, timing belt and tensioner, front main seal, rear main seal, and cam seals as well. The problem is, when you have an engine that was obviously neglected, how much money do you want to pour into maintenance before you know it runs good? I hate that situation, but I was in it too...

At the very least, I would recommend pulling those cams, cleaning as well as possible, and putting new valve stem seals in before you close it all up and drop it in the car. I can pretty much guarantee that if the engine is that sludged, the VSS are shot and the car will probably smoke pretty badly on startup.

On a positive note, that paint looks great!
Old 12-26-11, 12:16 PM
suprus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Yeah that motor is pretty sludged up unfortunately. Don't feel bad, mine had some sludge too It's a chance we take when we order an engine site unseen.

Most people are going to recommend that you do oil pump, water pump, timing belt and tensioner, front main seal, rear main seal, and cam seals as well. The problem is, when you have an engine that was obviously neglected, how much money do you want to pour into maintenance before you know it runs good? I hate that situation, but I was in it too...

At the very least, I would recommend pulling those cams, cleaning as well as possible, and putting new valve stem seals in before you close it all up and drop it in the car. I can pretty much guarantee that if the engine is that sludged, the VSS are shot and the car will probably smoke pretty badly on startup.

On a positive note, that paint looks great!
Ya I know what you mean. But I think what is going to happen is im just going to change the valve cover seal, timing belt, water pump, front main, rear main, and call it a day. When it comes time for upgraded cams I will go in and replace all the seals and stuff in there and throw in the fresh cams. Its probably not going to be all that long anyway...
Old 12-26-11, 12:23 PM
suprus
Driver

ps, thanks for the help bro I appreciate it.

On that note, you got any advice on all these cracked turbo lines I got sitting in the garage though? lol. I'm gonna need to start putting that stuff together after I'm done having fun with painting everything.
Old 12-26-11, 12:39 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post pics of the lines you are talking about. Is it the coolant soft lines you are referring to?
Old 12-26-11, 12:42 PM
clarkpark
Driver School Candidate

nice build
Old 12-31-11, 06:56 PM
TCUFROGZ
Driver School Candidate

Love this thread.. thanks for the pics..very helpful
Old 12-31-11, 08:28 PM
MIKU*SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man do you need a extra hand for the swap?

I know i said i would help a while ago but i had no time. Im actually free this whole month! PM me you number bro.
Old 01-03-12, 09:21 AM
arbalist
Driver School Candidate

Id go ahead and do the cam seals as they dont take long at all to remove and replace, and they are cheapppppp. Id say that the biggest advantage to doing it now as opposed to later is, you are taking the time to clean up your motor now, and you dont want to have to do that again while the motor is installed if the cam seals should leak(which they are known too). If starts to leak bad enough, you can also ruin your timing belts,pulley and tensioner.
Old 01-03-12, 05:48 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so, when you go big single turbo( and you know you will) what are you going to do with all that shiny tt pipe??
Old 01-10-12, 11:56 AM
suprus
Driver

Miku: I pmd you my number, im just waiting on a few parts to start putting the motor back together then me and Arbalist will be tossing the motor in, and I would really appreciate another hand in the process so if you could come by that would be awesome!

Arba: I got the cam seals and oil pump already so Im just waiting on some 02 sensors, the motor mount brackets I need andddddd something else but I cant remember.. But I still need to talk to you about the wiring harness.

Mega: The TT pipes are all yours if you want them whenever I got single!
Old 01-10-12, 08:44 PM
arbalist
Driver School Candidate

throttle cables and midget strippers come to mind
Old 01-30-12, 07:57 PM
suprus
Driver

More cleaning/ prepping:

New water pump, and I didnt quite like the outcome of the finish for the valve covers and stuff so took off the old and did them again with a little different technique. Should turn out good this time.

Old 04-15-12, 05:16 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Update?????
Old 04-15-12, 11:27 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I likey, likey, the newly painted pieces. The cam install looks so familiar.
Old 04-20-12, 05:24 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so what kind of accesory belt are you gonna use?? i hear you can run a isuzu??

Quick Reply: Suprus's 1JZ swap thread