SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sc400 swap to jdm 2jz-gte questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 10:58 PM
Zolaswolf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 swap to jdm 2jz-gte questions

I have been searching the net for the past week learning about the differences and problems people have been having about their swaps. Most of my questions have been answered by searching on here and many other forums but I have hit a road block and I feel like more questions are arising than being answered by searching.

I want to swap out my 92 1uz to the 2jz gte ( its jdm ) I want to keep it auto too.. dont harass me over this I just want a fun car not a trouble maker to drive in down town Seattle.. I had several manuals and it becomes a chore.

So down to my questions. I have the option between a Jdm 2jz gte vvti that came out of an aristo and the non vvti set up. What is the best rout and why is the vvti more sought after? they are about the same price and both come with the auto trans. the VVTi has the inter cooler attached too

If there is a thread on this please direct me.

Also I heard there was a instructional somewhere about the swap I haven't been able to find it most of the threads I have read were never finished and stooped about the time they said they were beginning the build... a detailed swap list would be helpful...

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Zolaswolf; 07-07-11 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-07-11, 11:11 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am in your same situation, thinking of swapping my 1uz out too even though it would be sick to just turbo it...ive hard some people say stick with the non vvti swap due to the fact that its harder to get the vvti functional if you swap it. dont quote me, im sure there are alot of guys that are swapped on here that will give you the truth. but i saw that nobody responded so i will throw my info out there!
Old 07-08-11, 07:35 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

I don't think there's much difference in "getting the swap running" between vvt-i and non vvt-i. The vvt-i motor is newer and still has a good amount of domestic support since vvt-i still exists in newer 2JZ motors (IS300 for example).

Personally I think it will come down to what your budget allows. Are you doing the swap or having a shop do it? Are you going to break the motor down or just do minor maintenance and drop it in?

If you plan on doing some of the wiring yourself this is a very useful thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...gured-out.html
Old 07-11-11, 02:29 AM
Zolaswolf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 88supramki
I don't think there's much difference in "getting the swap running" between vvt-i and non vvt-i. The vvt-i motor is newer and still has a good amount of domestic support since vvt-i still exists in newer 2JZ motors (IS300 for example).

Personally I think it will come down to what your budget allows. Are you doing the swap or having a shop do it? Are you going to break the motor down or just do minor maintenance and drop it in?

If you plan on doing some of the wiring yourself this is a very useful thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...gured-out.html
Thanks for the input,

So more parts are easily obtainable for the vvti then... I just keep thinking that this means more thing will break since the vvti has extra moving parts like the cam pulley...
So far my current budget is about 6k (should have about 10 saved by xmas) ... If my budget allows... I would like to replace the injectors... possibly the cams and drop the motor in. Not looking to do much of the electrical work, I am going to have a shop do what ever I cant and I have had two shops ball park numbered a custom fab setup which was around 1K (i think that's a steal)I learned that what i need is the sc300 mounts but if any extra fabrication is required they would adjust the price in my favor .. but they said it would fit perfect none the less. The two shops I contacted said they have done some pretty extreme stuff like puting ls7 in mazdas and 240sx
I believe the most expensive part of this build is getting a harness and aftermarket ecu and having all the electrical figured out. Other than that It just comes down to small maintenance and a few upgrades..

Thanks again for the responses guys, If I'm brave I'll try to do everything myself if that doesn't work at least I have a trailer and a truck.
Hopefully I can keep this build very cheap and moderately easy.

Real quick though... if i wanted to get around 400-500 whp it wouldn't take much right, from what I have gathered on here it just takes 550 injectors a real hot cam and a better turbo than the ceramics...
Old 07-11-11, 02:38 AM
Zolaswolf
Driver School Candidate

Thanks MrHimbert,

It would be pretty cool to turbo the 1uz.. I have seen some crazy stuff from Thailand on youtube under search 1uzfe ... I would love to build a motor like that but support is next to none here and I dont believe it will gain anytime soon. I had talked to lextreme about a rebuild and they had told me its a pretty pretty penny to get tons of hp out of the motor. Then I was told about the 2uzfe swap they offer.. I'm a little sad that it only adds 30 whp at best for the cost...I'm going to keep the 1uz so I can stuff it into something smaller... If you find any more information or someone who has done the swap with the parts list would be very helpful. I'll keep a eye peeled as well.
Old 07-20-11, 07:10 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I am also in the same dilemma. I want to build my spare 1UZ but after pricing cams, valves, springs, custom pistons and rings, port and polish, gaskets, seals, head work, etc. You are looking at an easy 5K, thats without any tranny work or headers. I think now I am leaning towards the 2JZGTE and build it. By the time I pay for rings from Lextreme, Ross, or Wiseco, I could have bought a complete 2JZGTE motor. Yes, you read this right, the pistons cost this much. Its ridiculous!
Old 07-20-11, 08:15 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

The 2JZ doesn't have ceramics from what I recall. The 1JZ does, which most people push to their breaking point.
Old 07-20-11, 09:33 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2jzgte jdm have ceramic blade spin faster but will break at higher psi, the USDM have steel blade spool little slower but can take a beating.

the wiring is the main thing when you are swapping the gte in the SC400 the body plugs, and A/C lines you you wanna keep your A/C.You will need SC300 A/C lines from the firewall to the a/C compressor or have the shop make you some custum lines.
you will need an Sc300 cluster the SC400 cluster will work but it will be 1k rpm off so 1k rpm off when your cluster say 5k rpm you are catually at 4k rpm, i would gte an SC300 radiator, fan and fan schroud.

I did this swap and if yall need help we can keep this thread going just ask whatever questions you wanna and i will answer it for you. Sorry i just don't have the patience to sit and type it all up but i am log in all day 6 days a week and i can answer some ??? just post them up.

it's not bad if you can get the wiring down pack.
Old 07-20-11, 10:23 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Quicksc4, can I call you directly? Or call me at 205-482-5533.. Mark
Old 07-20-11, 10:42 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Is Driftmotion a good place to get the stuff for the swap to a manual for the 400? If so, do they have a kit or have to buy stuff separate. Thats all I can find, is the stuff separate.
Old 07-20-11, 10:48 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes , they have a kit for the pedal set and the master cylinder is extra you will see the options when you go on there website.
Old 07-20-11, 11:52 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

iam sticking a 1jz in my 400 feel free to check out my thread..
Old 07-20-11, 12:20 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vvti is dbw so don't forget that and tuning on an obd1 swap is is simple as an afc and bigger injectors which will yield about 300 whp on stock twins and 600whp on a cheap single upgrade.
Old 07-20-11, 02:25 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Keep the good info coming on the differences between the two. Does these motors need a rear oil sump or front?

Last edited by 1JZPWRD; 07-20-11 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 06:18 PM
sebasc300
Driver

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Keep the good info coming on the differences between the two. Does these motors need a rear oil sump or front?
If the motor is going into a sc/supra you need a rear sump, unless you get the supra vvti swap which usually runs 5k+ with the getrag. They already come with a rear sump.

Also, don't be afraid of the Drive by wire, the vvti gte is still ran by a throttle cable just like the non vvti gte. If I remember correctly the throttle cable only controls 30 % of throttle, the ECU does the rest.

I personally would go with the vvti. I plan on going that route once I complete my VVT lsx swap in my sc4.

Good luck whichever route you choose and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Sc400 swap to jdm 2jz-gte questions