SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Our Cars...Are they still cool?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-11, 07:44 PM
LexmanBLY
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by broda805
cmon my 92 sc3 side mirror defoggers!!?? ha i didnt find out it had that till about couple months ago when it was a cold day and rained here in sunny so cal... most cars still dont have that lol
im has them also. dont know if its just optional
Old 06-30-11, 07:58 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

i've yet to have anyone rag on the sc, at least to my face. from the moment it came out it was a classic, dont pay attention to anyone ragging... these cars will be looked at like the chevelles, cuda's, etc of thier time... moreso the supra but we fall in the same ballpark
Old 06-30-11, 08:04 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by CCC-TT
i've yet to have anyone rag on the sc, at least to my face. from the moment it came out it was a classic, dont pay attention to anyone ragging... these cars will be looked at like the chevelles, cuda's, etc of thier time... moreso the supra but we fall in the same ballpark
Dude.... where have you been? I love your car and your posts.

But I definitely agree. Even though the SC is a partial daily driver (only in the summer and fall) and I have a newer GS430.... I could care less what anyone thinks about my SC or SCs in general. It really doesn't even cross my mind. The only thing that matters is that YOU like the car.... that's why we keep these cars, that's why we maintain them, modify them, make them nicer.... is because WE care. Fk everyone else HAHA.
Old 06-30-11, 08:08 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny this should come up... I was just talking with someone about this today. I actually get a ton of respect about my SC because of how high the mileage is. They can't believe it looks and runs as good as it does and has 260k miles- most of them say their 80k mile car looks and runs worse! There's something pretty amazing about a car that can hold up that well over a quarter million miles.

The age question never comes up on the Supra
Old 06-30-11, 08:36 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People complain that I refer to the SC as the hooptie... but thats about it
Old 06-30-11, 08:44 PM
Warrenlex
Driver School Candidate

Well i have a 92 so I'm looking at 19 years. This car still have all the right curves! They can still open a can up on the highway, I can't even remember what I was doing in 92!
Old 06-30-11, 09:39 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good friend of mine was popping lil comments about a very hard to see dimple in one of my fenders (maybe from a bb size hail?) regardless, I said, "bring your ***** in here, i'll point out everything wrong with it...we'll be here awhile, might want to order a pizza"

(o_o) owned. lol
Old 06-30-11, 09:41 PM
broda805
Lead Lap

90% of cars back in 92 looked like *** in comparison to the sc..... lol
Old 06-30-11, 09:51 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 92 sc with 183k runs better then my wifes 06 ford fusion with 107 k... haha and it looks way better and still has more options in it....i think its one of the best looking cars ive seen. better looking then most on the road anyway....well, mine is...haha. stock i could see if people thought they were wack...
Old 06-30-11, 10:04 PM
svagusta
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend seeing my bone stock 99 with 60k on it for the first time "Holy crap man, this thing looks brand new, what year did you say it was?"

Cant wait til I get rims and drop it, that ought to increase compliments even more.
Old 06-30-11, 10:15 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

"cool"? No. They are not even remotely close to "cool" today. Cool is any of the sport version boxes they sell with sat nav in the dash, round CF gauges, racing decals, whatever else..... All factory.

Now, that doesn't make the SC a nice purchase to own, but they are far from cool without a TON of work. You need to practically rebuild the interior since wood was the only trim option, now faded in most. Tan interior is about 80% of them very few are spruce green inside, most left are grey, few are black. Tan isn't cool. It can be NICE like the SC can be NICE, but "cool"...... No. The exterior of a stock 92 SC isn't driving people to the newspaper in flocks. They came with FUGLY wheels until 97, and then they still need 10mm or 15mm spacers not to look hideous. Most prefer the 97 body kit over the earlier non kitted body. (debate it all you want for personal preference, we've polled for this ten times on CL since 03).

So really, the SC IS NO "cooler" than a 2002 Ford Fiesta, but it certainly is "NICER". With a bunch of effort it can be both cool and nice. We've had some stunning cars on CL over the years so they can be made up nicely, but COOL is more relevant as to what is "in" and "hot or happening" which an 18 year old luxury car that is mostly worn out except for the engine which never dies is not really all that "COOL". (Every time you buy an SC you gotta change the PS pump, ALT, engine and tranny mounts, rebuild the gauges, change the shocks, etc........)

I think of cool cars a lot differently than I think of an old SC, BUT I love my SC and I think of it (in good shape) as much NICER than those "plastic cool cars"
Old 06-30-11, 10:17 PM
Toshima
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car was way head of its time. When I had my 93 I got pulled over one night. Cop asked what year it was I told him a 93, and he argued with me about it being a 93. Showed him my insurance card and he said well it looks a hole lot newer. Then just let me go.
Old 06-30-11, 10:57 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
"cool"? No. They are not even remotely close to "cool" today. Cool is any of the sport version boxes they sell with sat nav in the dash, round CF gauges, racing decals, whatever else..... All factory.

Now, that doesn't make the SC a nice purchase to own, but they are far from cool without a TON of work. You need to practically rebuild the interior since wood was the only trim option, now faded in most. Tan interior is about 80% of them very few are spruce green inside, most left are grey, few are black. Tan isn't cool. It can be NICE like the SC can be NICE, but "cool"...... No. The exterior of a stock 92 SC isn't driving people to the newspaper in flocks. They came with FUGLY wheels until 97, and then they still need 10mm or 15mm spacers not to look hideous. Most prefer the 97 body kit over the earlier non kitted body. (debate it all you want for personal preference, we've polled for this ten times on CL since 03).

So really, the SC IS NO "cooler" than a 2002 Ford Fiesta, but it certainly is "NICER". With a bunch of effort it can be both cool and nice. We've had some stunning cars on CL over the years so they can be made up nicely, but COOL is more relevant as to what is "in" and "hot or happening" which an 18 year old luxury car that is mostly worn out except for the engine which never dies is not really all that "COOL". (Every time you buy an SC you gotta change the PS pump, ALT, engine and tranny mounts, rebuild the gauges, change the shocks, etc........)

I think of cool cars a lot differently than I think of an old SC, BUT I love my SC and I think of it (in good shape) as much NICER than those "plastic cool cars"
Interesting, I never knew you hated the sc so much.

Sc not cooler then a ford fiesta? Wood grain isnt cool anymore? Would you rather carbon fibre?that stuff belongs on modified hondas and neons not on luxury cars.

Ive had my sc for almost two years and ive made no changes to power steering or any gauges , shocks ro anything.

I guess what it comes down to is your definition of cool as opposed to others versions.

To say the sc is not even remotely close to cool speaks volumes on your taste of cars.

To compare it to a ford fiesta is flat out ridiculous.

You really bashed the Sc here i would be very uinterested in hearing some of the cars that you think are more worthy of being called 'cool'.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 06-30-11 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-30-11, 11:07 PM
Vader300
Rookie

If the power tilt steering doesnt win them over,(mines a 94) then pull down the mirror visor. That will win them over. Plus mines a 5 speed. I tell my friends and family how many 5 speeds lexus do you see. Now thats cool.
Old 06-30-11, 11:13 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Yeah ***** I tend to not waste my time explaining it if you don't get the point, sorry. You're just going to have to hang on this one. Most can tell the difference in cool and nice as well most understand cool and trendy. Sorry new guy.

Quick Reply: Our Cars...Are they still cool?