SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

All my remaining newbie questions at once

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-02, 12:08 AM
Snowman9000
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All my remaining newbie questions at once

-What octane do they specify for Premium? We have some choices in Premium octane where I am located.

-Are the alternators prone to being weak? At idle the electrics seem a bit weak. I have only the stock stereo, no big stuff.

- Are the CD changer problems a function of a bad magazine, or something inside the changer mechanism?

-If I put a replacement aftermarket changer in the car, can it be controlled from the Lexus unit in the dash? (I know NOTHING about today's sound systems. I just want a working CD changer without paying too much).

-The interior mirror is messed up, which I know is a common problem. I would be willing to substitute a manually-dimmed mirror, has anyone has found a suitable replacement?

-The center armest cover over the console has quite a bit of free play when you lean on it, before it comes to rest down on the console body. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment on the latch and it makes a nice car seem cheap. Anybody dealt with this one? Is yours sloppy?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-02, 12:27 AM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noted a small amount of free play on the lid to my center armrest, as well. I figured it was normal, but could possibly be tightened at the hinge or the latch. If it's the latch, I doubt it would be easy...

Don't know about the other stuff you mentioned.

Ral
Old 09-13-02, 02:32 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well they've tested 91-octane to be the lowest safe octane for high compression cars, but I'd strive for the highest if I were you . In all fairness though, 91 will probably suffice unless you notice engine knock went you drive.

My alternator isn't weak on my 800w stereo, then again I'm using a capacitor. You could try using a small power cap in front of your stock amp, or if it really bugs you, buy a high current replacement alternator.

Not completely sure about the CD changer, but I'm guessing yes.

I didn't know the rear-view mirror was a common problem, but it does lock into a bracket in the windshield. I don't know if the cheapo manual mirrors will snap into it, but I doubt it.

Yeah the armrest does have a little slack. I've noticed it on all SCs I've been in, so this is normal. You could try padding the outer lip with a foam insulating strip to tighten it up a little.