SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rear deck question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-11, 10:24 AM
DIS LEX IT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear deck question.

I'm looking into changing the rear speakers in the 94 Sc400. I know the sizes 4" and 10" sub. My question is since the JL 10IB4 is no longer in production, What is the best sub that I can use without modifications. Dont wan't to purchase one that touches the gas tank or sounds like crap. Thanks
Old 06-11-11, 10:42 AM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kicker cvr10....fits in the hole with out modding, the only thing i had to do was basically use a 1/2 inch piece of wood and cut a circle in it to fit the sub...this was for mounting purposes to get a good seal down on the metal. i put 1/8 inch foam on the bottom of the wood so it would seal it..kinda confusing but i will try to get pics, i am in the middle of redoing my interior
Old 06-11-11, 10:45 AM
DIS LEX IT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrHimbert
kicker cvr10....fits in the hole with out modding, the only thing i had to do was basically use a 1/2 inch piece of wood and cut a circle in it to fit the sub...this was for mounting purposes to get a good seal down on the metal. i put 1/8 inch foam on the bottom of the wood so it would seal it..kinda confusing but i will try to get pics, i am in the middle of redoing my interior
Thanks, Pictures would be great. How's it sound?
Old 06-11-11, 10:50 AM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

it sits right in between to loud and to quiet lol....originally it was being powered by a 300 watt dual amp ( POS ) but i switched it to my 400 watt rockford fosgate....i had to turn the bass all the way down cuz it was so loud lol...but its not a bad sub at all...im not one for a super loud system, i just like enough bass to massage my seats and still hear the music
Old 06-11-11, 10:54 AM
DIS LEX IT
Driver School Candidate

Nice. Did you replace the 4" speakers as well. I'm like you, clarity with a nice slap.
Old 06-11-11, 11:02 AM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

yes i did, with some nice two way alpine and in the doors and the rear deck..., but they pack a punch. i hate listening to music and not being able to hear the lyrics lol
Old 06-11-11, 03:02 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

QUESTION:
is the JL 10IB4 and kicker cvr10 (free air subwoofers)?

My Situation:
i dropped a Polk audio db1040 in the rear deck
i pried the factory speaker off the metal spacer so i could elevate the speaker off the gas tank it worked perfect but i previously had the speakers in a sealed box and when i say they hit HARD i mean 1 by itself sounded better then my boys 2 12" subs i don't remember his brand... but when i dropped the speaker into my car i don't even get a ounce of clean bass even with the bass turned all the way up or down.

i dont want to do anything crazy like porting the deck open to fit a small box in there to get some good sound... and free air subs are basically extinct.

is it because the sub is not sealed over the deck or is it because it's just not the subs purpose?

thanks in advance
-Kernst
Old 06-11-11, 03:51 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

this is my sub build thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...rear-deck.html
that should help you out the reason your sub sounds bad is because you are not getting a seal between the top of the deck and the bottom of the deck. the purpose of a box is to separate soundwaves from the front of the sub and the rear of the sub otherwise the soundwaves fight eachother and cancel out. and the same principal applies to the rear 4" speakers. they will cancel out your highs from the front speakers. my suggestion is this. mount the sub as shown in my thread (read the whole thread) and mount a pair of 6.5" midbass woofers in the rear deck. not 2 ways or 3 ways. you do not want highs coming from the rear. my cheap pioneer sub hits very good with no cancellation also another member has done the same sub install using your polk sub and claims really good bass. to further understand why you dont want tweeters in the rear google "proper sound staging in car" or something worded like that. key words being sound stage. good luck and post up in my thread if you decide to go this way any pics or suggestions are welcome.

edit:free air subs suck and there is no need for them with this install design.
Old 06-11-11, 05:52 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bleedspeed
this is my sub build thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...rear-deck.html
that should help you out the reason your sub sounds bad is because you are not getting a seal between the top of the deck and the bottom of the deck. the purpose of a box is to separate soundwaves from the front of the sub and the rear of the sub otherwise the soundwaves fight eachother and cancel out. and the same principal applies to the rear 4" speakers. they will cancel out your highs from the front speakers. my suggestion is this. mount the sub as shown in my thread (read the whole thread) and mount a pair of 6.5" midbass woofers in the rear deck. not 2 ways or 3 ways. you do not want highs coming from the rear. my cheap pioneer sub hits very good with no cancellation also another member has done the same sub install using your polk sub and claims really good bass. to further understand why you dont want tweeters in the rear google "proper sound staging in car" or something worded like that. key words being sound stage. good luck and post up in my thread if you decide to go this way any pics or suggestions are welcome.

this is perfect... thanks for the heads up
Old 06-11-11, 11:57 PM
DIS LEX IT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bleedspeed

Thanks for the info.