SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I has got to know!! Fixing a Lexus is how much!

Old 12-16-02, 07:49 PM
Onelove
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a comparison, we have a VERY good body shop do our work.

We had a supra that was in rought shape, both quarter panels replaced, both fenders, all new bumpers, basically a complete new car. And they painted the entire thing inside and out for around 7800 if I am not correct.

I would say that's about 4k, if you want a changer I'll be sure to sell you my factory 12 disk for 500 if you want
Old 12-16-02, 07:56 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The appraisers always lowball the fix. This way you do not take the check and run. Do not pay for anything yourself. When you find the shop you want to handle the repairs then give them the information to bargain for repairs with your insurance company. You will have to give them the original check for partial payment of the repair. Be sure to tell them that if the repairs aren't perfect they will have to do it over and over and over again until it is perfect.
Old 12-16-02, 08:17 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: I has got to know!! Fixing a Lexus is how much!

Originally posted by therriott15
Got into an accident a few weeks back and found out the cost for damages is up to 8000.
Also, her insurance company supplied me a check for only 4700 from a field appraiser. Since the expenses exceed this by far, how does the rest of the cost pan out, 1) between the body shop and insurance company 2) between me and the body shop 3) between the insurance company and me??? Should I hold off on depositing the check until the final tally is calculated.

If someone with crash experience is familiar with this please let me know because I do not want to be the one eating the extra cost for some silly mistake I make.

therriott15
therriott15,

First, do your homework and inspect the frame damage yourself. Go to a Toyoto or Lexus dealership and have them show you the exploded diagrams of the passenger side rear-clip frame components. Educate yourself on the frame parts that need replacement. Next, try to find an independent appraiser to represent *you*. They should provide you an appraisel that accurately reflects the needed repairs from a reputable body shop. Their fee is typically $125-$200. Although it's money out of your pocket, they can provide documentation that will get the repair done right. Additionally, you can fight for "diminished value" due to the car being in an accident. I noticed you live in Texas. I have used an independenat appraiser in Dallas. PM me if you live in the metroplex.

Contrary to other postings on this thread, Lexus *does* have their own body shops (Sewell Lexus, Dallas). Try to get them to appraise the damage. Once you have an appraisel from *your* appraiser or the *Lexus* body shop, take it to the insurance company that represents the person at fault. *Demand* that they fix the car to your appraisal estimates. Next, go for "diminished value". The car is no longer worth what it is when *not* in an accident. You *are* entitled to diminished value from the insurance company. Unfortunately, *most* people don't know that! Additionally, if you don't have transportation, *demand* compensation for a rental car. If the insurance company refuses any of the above. Tell them you'll see them in small claims court.

If you don't look out for your rights, you will get screwed. It's a long and frustrating fight to get the work done right. Additionally, getting diminished value *and* a rental car is compensation you are entitled to. Go for it!

(Did I rant and rave enough?) $%#$... I hate insurance companies.

Hope this helps.

-scott
Old 12-16-02, 08:17 PM
minh
Pole Position

This cost me $3700 to fix. That included replacing the CD changer.
Attached Thumbnails I has got to know!! Fixing a Lexus is how much!-mvc-004s.jpg  
Old 12-16-02, 08:28 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did they replace the quarter on the GS. I would not pay more than 1000 to fix that damage(if the quarter was not replaced). Don't spend your money foolishly.
Old 12-16-02, 09:16 PM
akmpres
Pole Position

Default I got hit in the same area,

i can feel your pain brother, i feel it, i got hit in the same spot, a little less damage than yours, it came out to 1300 for the body repair + I got $2500 cash for the broken CD changer and AMP.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...king+lot+today
Old 12-16-02, 09:29 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

My friend has a body shop and he had a SC with damage like that they replaced the 1/4 panel total with paint and everything 4000$.Get aftermarker changer and amp.
Old 12-16-02, 11:10 PM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

wow, almost looks just like mine. i paid 3.4k taillight bumper fender etc. hopefully get it back the end of this week.

good luck
Old 12-17-02, 02:37 AM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Exclamation

Also as a general rule of thumb, you can take it to a lexus dealer and have it repair their and they carry lifetime warranty, or at least have a lexus authorize dealer appraise and get a check of that amount from their insurance company. Weather or not you fix the car in your own garage or your friend's garage is none of their business, you can even drive the car as is and wait until next dummy bumps you again at that panel.
Old 12-17-02, 01:03 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

get your Lexus dealer to do an estimate, the insurance company cant argue with what Lexus says I mean they are the authority

the Lexus dealers themselves dont do the body work they send it out and some of those shops dont do very good work, I'd recommend taking it to a really top notch bodyshop or a good friend know knows what he/she is dong and will do a good job

that looks like a mess!! and quarter panel damage is expensive!! good luck!
Old 12-17-02, 03:58 PM
Richard Clark
Driver School Candidate

Don't cash the check. Call her company and tell them that they are way off base and you demand proper satisfaction and proper lexus repair. Or have your agent earn his way and do it for you. They always try to pull this ***** with the adjuster checks. If all else fails start making medical sounds. Like injuries. If that fails threaten to report it to the Insurance Commisioner and about 10 other consummer protection agencies that you can find on the web.
Good luck
Old 12-19-02, 01:51 PM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Default This happened to my car....

My car was clobbed in that area before I bought it. Total bill was over $9000....there were axle repairs, but they didn't have to replace the bumper skin, tail-light, CD-chager, etc etc. Replacing that panel is not like replacing a front fender or bumper where its unbolt the old, bolt on the new....they have to cut the car up, break all the old welds, weld the new panel on, lined up just right of course, etc etc. That panel determines the fit at the fuel door, it also determines how well that side of the trunk gasket seals. There's also a very expensive and important wiring harness that runs down that side of the car, and some of the welds are reeeely close to the harness. Make sure they remove or replce the harness when they do the cutting/welds. They burned the harness with the welds on my car 'cause they didn't remove it. They also didn't seal up all the seams just right, so the trunk leaked water. Like I said....not an easy repair.
Old 05-14-14, 03:05 PM
Tangela01
Driver School Candidate

Default I would like to know?

I would like to know what you think about much my car would be to fix. I have a Lexus ES 300 and it is only damaged in the front side (driver side). Since I read your post it made me think about how much my damage would be. I love this an still making payments on it.
Attached Thumbnails I has got to know!! Fixing a Lexus is how much!-image.jpg  
Old 05-14-14, 03:26 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tangela01
I would like to know what you think about much my car would be to fix. I have a Lexus ES 300 and it is only damaged in the front side (driver side). Since I read your post it made me think about how much my damage would be. I love this an still making payments on it.
This varies by location but around here (Northern California) you would be looking at around $10-12k from most decent shops for that kind of damage. You need a lot of fresh parts there due to the type of damage.
Old 05-14-14, 04:48 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

This is the SC subforum