SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

turbo or not??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-11, 11:35 PM
whooper20
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation turbo or not??

hey, i have a sc300 93 (2jz-ge), with 156,xxx miles and i was thinking in turbo charging it but this is why im not sure..

- its my daily driver car, would turbo cause complications since its used daily?

-it has 156,xxx miles is that too much and motor wont handle it (156,xxx isnt that much for a 93, i mean its alot but considering there newer cars with much more its not)

-i dont have 4gs for a new gte swap engine thats y i want to know if i should do it or just fix the engine changing into intake, performance fuel filter/ all the rest in modifications (exhaust is already in 2.5' piping into dual CANNONS)
Old 06-03-11, 11:43 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

if you dont have 4k for an engine swap you dont have 4k for a turbo. cheapest you will get boosted is 2k and then what youve got cheap turbo that wont last. honestly i dont know much about boost and some guys here have the cheaper kits. but for my money i would shoot for more stock power first then worry about boost down the road.
Old 06-04-11, 12:23 AM
MR_Clean
Rookie

Honestly, If it were me I'd spend the money to get the car running perfectly and not worry about slapping on a turbo or doing a swap. If the car wasn't your daily or you had a bit more money then I'd say go for it. Adding a turbo is essentially adding more parts the CAN break. Doesn't necessarily mean that they will, but they can.

Like stated above, spending $2k on a turbo kit will net you cheaply made parts and most likely a headache in repair bills.

I say spend a bit on getting the car into tip-top shape and save the rest for a rainy day. You can save up over time, give yourself a cushion and build the car how you want it and the right way...patiently.
Old 06-04-11, 04:37 AM
Mr.1.5
Lead Lap

Not. If you are tight on cash turbo is not the way to go. Unless you have no brain like me. I'm broke and still keep upgrading my car.
Old 06-04-11, 05:54 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not on your budget. Wait till you have more disposable income or another car you can drive regularly during down time.
Old 06-04-11, 05:57 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Matador
Not on your budget. Wait till you have more disposable income or another car you can drive regularly during down time.
this x1000000

boost is not a pocket friendly game by far .. ask me how i know this
Old 06-04-11, 06:43 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I guess I'm the only guy that will tell you to go for it.

4g's for a turbo kit is insane. Just insane. I don't care what you get with it, or who fabbed it.

2g's for a turbo kit is silly also.

Basic 2jz-ge turbo kit.
(Which I am not a advocate of, but if a guy wants to do something, let him do it.)

$99 manifold. They do work.

Real Garrett 57mm T4 Turbo $750 Shipped!

46mm Wategate. Chinese, but they work. $75

Downpipe $70 bucks shipped.

FMIC w/ BOV $200

Oil Feed and drain lines $70

So $1300 bucks later you have a Real Garrett Turbo, a FMIC kit, the Manifold, a wastegate, and the oil lines to hook it all up.

If you have any DIY skill, and a small 110v MIG welder this is not at all the money people say it is.

If the 2jzge is in good shape (Seals, Timing belt, etc) then you will get more enjoyment out of it for sure.

Go for it!!
Old 06-04-11, 06:57 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Turboing your car will cost you as much as your swap even if its an ebay kit. At 150xxx you will need the following before you even buy the kit:
Compression check
New fuel pump
Injectors
Some type of fuel manager
Good tune up

That alone is $800
Then even an ebay kit runs you $1500 after all the modifications without tune.
Resealing turbo
Manifold modification
Piping
Exhaust
Heat wrap
Down pipe
O2 sensor
Stud modification
A the list goes on.....
Those are just the beginning headaches.
Then if you did all the work yourself the tuner is going to charge you about $ 800 + to tune because they will have trouble tuning (I promise you they will). After that the simple maintainance a month since its your daily will be 100 +.

Imo With the money you believe you have buy a second car. Then decide to swap or turbo this car or like many others do a major tune up and piece together a kit for later when money is a tad more accessible.

Good luck.
Old 06-04-11, 08:30 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^I beg to differ.

He doesnt need...
a new fuel pump,
doesnt need injectors,

tune up yes, good plugs with a cold gap.
SAFC2 is just fine for beginning power levels, also, super easy to make somewhat safe.

So many people always try to discourage others from modding their car on a budget... That bothers me.

I do all my own work, have less than 6k invested in my ENTIRE car and I built it myself and it runs like a champ. I had ZERO trouble tuning my car, and have had much success tuning many other cars similarly equipped. Not to mention if you go to a tuner to have a tune done with an SAFC and they charge you 800 dollars, that is highway robbery.

And how is maintenance on a turbo car 100 a month? Even if you cheaped out on EVERYTHING, you shouldnt have too much drama. There is a steep learning curve but upgrading a few things, like wastegate, BOV and electronics should be fine.

Want my opinion OP. Do it. Shop around and buy used parts. Figure out a power level you want... if you have an auto, your looking for no more, give or take, then what I have. You can get a good setup with good parts if you watch SF and CL forum for sale. Start a build thread, take pictures and ask questions. Those of us that dont wanna smash your dreams or make you feel stupid will help you.
Old 06-04-11, 10:23 AM
Vader300
Rookie

Originally Posted by spoolxexo

4g's for a turbo kit is insane. Just insane. I don't care what you get with it, or who fabbed it.

Basic 2jz-ge turbo kit.
(Which I am not a advocate of, but if a guy wants to do something, let him do it.)

FMIC w/ BOV $200

So $1300 bucks later you have a Real Garrett Turbo, a FMIC kit, the Manifold, a wastegate, and the oil lines to hook it all up.

If you have any DIY skill, and a small 110v MIG welder this is not at all the money people say it is.

If the 2jzge is in good shape (Seals, Timing belt, etc) then you will get more enjoyment out of it for sure.

Go for it!!

Just curious about how much hp you gain with this setup
Old 06-04-11, 10:26 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vader300
Just curious about how much hp you gain with this setup
Thats a wide open question. it could be 0 hp or 350 or so.

Depends on your tuning, your boost and you car.
Old 06-04-11, 11:03 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lookEVO
^I beg to differ.

He doesnt need...
a new fuel pump,
doesnt need injectors,

tune up yes, good plugs with a cold gap.
SAFC2 is just fine for beginning power levels, also, super easy to make somewhat safe.

So many people always try to discourage others from modding their car on a budget... That bothers me.

I do all my own work, have less than 6k invested in my ENTIRE car and I built it myself and it runs like a champ. I had ZERO trouble tuning my car, and have had much success tuning many other cars similarly equipped. Not to mention if you go to a tuner to have a tune done with an SAFC and they charge you 800 dollars, that is highway robbery.

And how is maintenance on a turbo car 100 a month? Even if you cheaped out on EVERYTHING, you shouldnt have too much drama. There is a steep learning curve but upgrading a few things, like wastegate, BOV and electronics should be fine.

Want my opinion OP. Do it. Shop around and buy used parts. Figure out a power level you want... if you have an auto, your looking for no more, give or take, then what I have. You can get a good setup with good parts if you watch SF and CL forum for sale. Start a build thread, take pictures and ask questions. Those of us that dont wanna smash your dreams or make you feel stupid will help you.
You have only had your (cheap) NA-T kit for a two months isn't it premature to say there are no problem yet?
Originally Posted by spoolxexo

Basic 2jz-ge turbo kit.

FMIC w/ BOV $200

Go for it!!
Those cheap parts will fit awful then crack and break over time. Cheap pays twice.
Old 06-04-11, 11:40 AM
Vader300
Rookie

Originally Posted by account2x
You have only had your (cheap) NA-T kit for a two months isn't it premature to say there are no problem yet?

Those cheap parts will fit awful then crack and break over time. Cheap pays twice.

So then how much $$ would it take to have a dd with a small turbo(reliable) setup. Is $2,000 still to low
Old 06-04-11, 12:07 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

1JZ-GTE with auto transmission from a Soarer to a 2JZ-GE with auto in a SC300 is the most cheap option. They go for no more than 1500 shipped. You can extend the wiring harness yourself. It is doable for 2000 depending on maintenance and required parts (intercooler, power steering reservoir, coolant hoses) but I would say 3000 just to be safe.

It should be noted that unlike an NA-T build a swap gives you plenty of spare parts. You can either keep these parts for future maintenance or sell them to make some of your money back.
Old 06-04-11, 12:18 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

There are a lot of hidden cost involved when you go forced induction. Things break and stuff gets left out from original budget. Whatever you think it costs x2 is a good estimate of the true cost.

Quick Reply: turbo or not??