SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help me with my door lock assembly please!!

Old 05-19-11, 08:26 PM
SC4hundo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with my door lock assembly please!!

Hey everyone;
So I have a 95 sc400.
This is the scenario:
I closed the driver side door the other day while going to dos gringos, and when I came back out the door lock wouldnt work for me. It won't unlock the driver side from the inside nor outside nor manually. Passenger side works just fine.
I was able to take the interior trim off and I can get to the lock/latch assembly and checked all the plastic clips. They are all fine and the motor seems to get power as It sounds like it tries to disengage but dOesnt work.

Now, I got a replacement latch/lock assembly and the thing I need help is how do I open the door if it's closed and it's stuck on "locked"? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 05-19-11, 11:12 PM
ttsukamoto
Rookie

Are both cables (interior lock and door handle) and the rods leading to the latch mechanism frozen? I'll be getting my car back from the body shop tomorrow. Hopefully I can help after I take a look at the mechanisms on my car.
Old 08-08-11, 06:11 PM
MidnightR
Driver School Candidate

I got the same problem as you SC4hundo. I was wondering if you got it open and how did you get it open?

Thanks
Old 03-24-12, 03:52 PM
kmbishop11
Driver School Candidate

I'm having almost the same problem except i just purchased my SC and the previous owner broke the inside passenger handle, the trim around window and need the door /latch lock assembly. I can get the door open with alot of awkward maneuvering inside the door, just don't know where to go from here..... This is all new to me and I'm becoming a little overwhelmed. Have read so many useful threads but my brain is in overload mode right now...lol
Old 03-24-12, 06:12 PM
DrMcPho
Rookie

I have the same problem but it somehow works fine again after a while
Old 03-24-12, 06:18 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to replace the whole assembly involving the door latch. It has the lock motor built in and connects to the cables coming from the inside door handle / lock assembly. It's not too difficult to find these for sale but I had a huge PITA involving the screw that holds the window track in place (and in the way of the latch removal).

The whole car has phillips screws / bolt head combos except this one that invariably is so tight the head of the screw strips.
Old 03-25-12, 08:21 PM
kmbishop11
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the good info MooJohn! All new to me but up for the challenge! So while looking for parts, I've been looking for the inside door handle(broken when I bought), clip off one of the cables that was broken, and the lock actuator w/motor. Is their any other parts that are common to check, or get when doing this job? Just bare with me.....
Old 03-25-12, 10:38 PM
scott101
Pole Position

i just pulled y door panel because my handles and lock were broken, ill keep you updated if i figure it out
Old 03-26-12, 08:07 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car came without a passenger door panel or interior handle of any sort. I'm making it work again thanks to ebay parts

You'll want to order the proper plastic pieces that join the rod to the exterior door handle (found in this thread ) They can be had on ebay for $12 ea but a dealer can get them for far less.

The cables that connect to the interior door handle are semi-permanently attached to the piece you'll be replacing anyway. Your new one should still have the lock and open cables hooked to it and it's easy to route them where they need to go to connect with the inside door handle.