SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300 Puzzling Window Issue!

Old 05-13-11, 02:51 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC300 Puzzling Window Issue!

Hey guys,

So I've had this WEIRD window problem going on for a few weeks now. Basically my passenger side window is not dead and will not go down. Both the driver side switch and the passenger side switch are just DEAD. It first started out that the driver side became slugging to lower the window and eventually the switch died out so I was forced to only use the passenger side switch. Now the passenger side switch is dead.

Things to note:
1. Motor is NOT dead...had a body shop check it and they said with their external switch they connected to it, it was working fine.

2. I replaced the passenger side window button unit but it wouldn't go down still!

3. Is the driver side master window switch unit the problem? (I wanna say no to this because if the driver side acts as the gateway master switch to process the signal from the passenger side then that wouldnt make sense because my the driver side switch died first while the passenger worked for a while on its own?....is that true???

4. I dont wanna just keep replacing switches left and right for no reason.....what can I do to pinpoint the issue?

5. THANKS for the help!

I think I was unclear in my first post...a body shop tested the window by taking apart the door panel and hooking up a switch to the motor. The window was going up and down PERFECTLY. So the issue is the signal from the switches (both driver and passenger) are not functioning. I have bought a new passenger side switch but not driver side...yet.

Last edited by Mortal300; 05-13-11 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-13-11, 03:38 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ayy bro i know what is wrong. its hard to get help with questions that have been discussed in the past cl dont like to repeat themselves much. anyhow your window regulator is dead. it is common in the sc. the regulator drives your window up and down by using a cable. sadly the cables connects to your window by a little piece of white plastic. the plastic just like everything else in the car is brittle after 14 years. so the stud on the cable brakes through the plastic. so that it is no longer connected to the window. and the worst part is you should buy a new regulator for 250 bucks because used is just gonna brake again. sucks i know i have to do both of mine right now. good luck bro might as well do the other one too because ot wont be long before it snaps too.
Old 05-13-11, 07:13 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bleedspeed
ayy bro i know what is wrong. its hard to get help with questions that have been discussed in the past cl dont like to repeat themselves much. anyhow your window regulator is dead. it is common in the sc. the regulator drives your window up and down by using a cable. sadly the cables connects to your window by a little piece of white plastic. the plastic just like everything else in the car is brittle after 14 years. so the stud on the cable brakes through the plastic. so that it is no longer connected to the window. and the worst part is you should buy a new regulator for 250 bucks because used is just gonna brake again. sucks i know i have to do both of mine right now. good luck bro might as well do the other one too because ot wont be long before it snaps too.
hmm...see but what I don't understand is my motor is functioning just fine just the window switches in my car are not providing the signal to the motor.

I think I was unclear in my first post...a body shop tested the window by taking apart the door panel and hooking up a switch to the motor. The window was going up and down PERFECTLY. So the issue is the signal from the switches (both driver and passenger) are not functioning. I have bought a new passenger side switch but not driver side...yet.
Old 05-13-11, 07:23 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

oh well yeah i misunderstood. my bad. it is an sc wouldn't surprise me to find out there is an ecu for the windows dont know though and im assuming you checked all your fuses. i am stumped as well. put a hamster in each door with a wheel hooked up to the regulators and shoot them up with roids every day thats a secret mod dont tell anybody.
Old 05-13-11, 07:28 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

I know you don't want to hear it, but these window issues have been covered ad nauseum. If you search a bit you WILL find advice about checking the wiring in the door jambs and also info on the circuit operation, ie. that the ground path to both the master window and passenger window is routed through the master switch. G/L
Old 05-13-11, 07:32 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

apparently you can check the switch with a multi meter by setting it to ohms on the 200 ohms scale measure between the common and each terminal while pressing the button the resistance vshould be less then 1 ohm. any more and the switch has contact problems. you could get some deoxidizer spray and clean the terminals. if that fails the switch is bad. also take the drivers panel off and make sure the wires are not cut or torn. yeah what he said ground would be my guess too or bad contacts.

Last edited by bleedspeed; 05-13-11 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-13-11, 10:33 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Cool thanks guys...yeah searching wudda helped. I just know MANY issues were about the regulator and already had those..should have searched harder...thanks
Old 07-18-12, 09:10 PM
BlaineyB
Driver

Bump for this post. Mortal300 did you solve your problem, if so what was it?
Old 07-19-12, 07:45 PM
BlaineyB
Driver

bumppppppp.
Old 07-19-12, 09:50 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mortal300
I just know MANY issues were about the regulator

Originally Posted by BlaineyB
Bump for this post. Mortal300 did you solve your problem, if so what was it?
Learn how to read
Old 07-19-12, 09:57 PM
BlaineyB
Driver

oops my bad. i guess i was just frustrated.
Old 07-19-12, 11:41 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Check the resistance from the switch to the motor. More than likely a wire issue
Old 07-20-12, 12:36 PM
1jzchris
Pole Position

Had the same problem, thought it was the switch and kept switching them, until I changed the door harness and the fixed the problem.
Old 07-20-12, 01:04 PM
thm8d
Pole Position

good luck finding the issue
Old 07-22-12, 01:03 AM
dublup
Driver

Originally Posted by 1jzchris
Had the same problem, thought it was the switch and kept switching them, until I changed the door harness and the fixed the problem.

+1 (10 Charac)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC300 Puzzling Window Issue!