SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

As promised: DIY Plexiglass Headlight CLEAR Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 07:38 PM
NCMatt83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a tease!!! Nah man I'm messin with you, take your time and make it awesome!!! I am anxious to see how this turns out!
Old 05-05-11, 08:40 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NCMatt83
What a tease!!! Nah man I'm messin with you, take your time and make it awesome!!! I am anxious to see how this turns out!
yeah this should be interesting...
Old 05-05-11, 09:32 PM
coolewong
Driver

omg my blueball is gonna explode soon!
Old 05-05-11, 09:36 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

+1 for creativity and I'll be looking forward to the finished project, but you know that the types of plexi you get at home depot don't have the UV additive that is used in plastics that are going to be sitting in the sunshine, right?

When plexi is formed, if it is a plexi that persons will use outdoors a special UV dye is added to keep it from turning yellow and going cloudy from the UV ray damage of the sun. Plexi that doesn't have the UV dye clouds and turns yellow. Auto headlights for instance have a super high concentration of UV dye in them as well as an overspray or they would turn yellow in practically no time.

You may get away with a UV protectant spray for a little white, hard to say. Unfortunately that method is used by cheaper headlight manufacturers like the knockoffs from overseas and the spray on tends to look much worse as far as wear over a short time.
Old 05-06-11, 01:11 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
+1 for creativity and I'll be looking forward to the finished project, but you know that the types of plexi you get at home depot don't have the UV additive that is used in plastics that are going to be sitting in the sunshine, right?

When plexi is formed, if it is a plexi that persons will use outdoors a special UV dye is added to keep it from turning yellow and going cloudy from the UV ray damage of the sun. Plexi that doesn't have the UV dye clouds and turns yellow. Auto headlights for instance have a super high concentration of UV dye in them as well as an overspray or they would turn yellow in practically no time.

You may get away with a UV protectant spray for a little white, hard to say. Unfortunately that method is used by cheaper headlight manufacturers like the knockoffs from overseas and the spray on tends to look much worse as far as wear over a short time.

Maybe so, but I've been running these for a few months now and I've had no issues with them turning yellow.
Old 05-06-11, 08:08 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

plexy glasS? is it better than the ebay clear lenses?
Old 05-06-11, 08:16 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great work! this is cheaper than getting the ebay headlights to take the lens off from
Old 05-06-11, 08:23 AM
Bender25
Pole Position

I Have an extra set of OEM lenses that I can cut up, I think i will try this next week if I get the chance
Old 05-06-11, 09:36 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Originally Posted by ScBouncE
plexy glasS? is it better than the ebay clear lenses?
Probably not, but for those of us on a budget it's about $20 worth of material.
Old 05-06-11, 12:31 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike552
Maybe so, but I've been running these for a few months now and I've had no issues with them turning yellow.
(1) you're in iowa, the UV rays have merely began to creep in at this point in the year according to the UV index.

(2) See #1, then figure the next few months will test you pretty strongly on UV. Hopefully it won't be TOO damaging, but I don't make the rules..... Nature does what nature does. Cars have suffered since their inception with UV damage to paint and interior.

(3) The seam looks a little rough and wiggly. Have any pics closer than 4 feet? I'd like to see how the headlights turned out. Nice DIY.
Old 05-06-11, 12:55 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
(1) you're in iowa, the UV rays have merely began to creep in at this point in the year according to the UV index.

(2) See #1, then figure the next few months will test you pretty strongly on UV. Hopefully it won't be TOO damaging, but I don't make the rules..... Nature does what nature does. Cars have suffered since their inception with UV damage to paint and interior.

(3) The seam looks a little rough and wiggly. Have any pics closer than 4 feet? I'd like to see how the headlights turned out. Nice DIY.

I can appreciate your quasi-pessimism. Really. Let me respond in your numerical fashion:

1. You say that Iowa UV rays have "merely begun to creep in at this point." According to this: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...les/dsm_09.png, you are wrong. In fact, the complete opposite shows true. We are experiencing VERY high levels right now.

2. I am off to the Middle-East for a few months here shortly, so the SC will be parked in the garage. I will not be able to verify your prediction, but assuming that even stock SC headlights turn yellow from UV damage, I am not sure why this would be a concern specific to this mod...

3. The seam is a little rough and wiggly. Though a pic from 4 feet is pretty good at this point. It's not like I took the pic from 20 feet away. Honestly, if I had more time, I would have smoothened it out better, but my priority is my 2 kids. If you attempt this mod, you can take all the time in the world to smooth it out to your desire.

Hope this helps. Thanks for viewing my DIY.

EDIT: See post #32 for pic of "10 year guarantee against yellowing" label that came with my Plexiglass.

Last edited by Mike552; 05-14-11 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-06-11, 07:22 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

pretty interesting! amazing creativity. i have used the hardware store plexi before in a cage made for 2x 6' iguanas. yes big frickin lizards.lol it was a long time ago when i was a kid. lizards need u.v. rays for their skin. so large u.v. bulbs were installed that simulate the sun. after about a year or so the plexi had yellowed significantly. never knew why until now. still though for the price you can replace the lenses every year. lol and a further thought what about uv protective window tint? get the lowest tint rating and wrap the outside of the lenses in it. problem solved. and they would look slightly smoked. just a thought. cool job though bro.
Old 05-06-11, 08:13 PM
SOLID300
Pole Position

You are the MAN! Good Job!
Old 05-06-11, 08:22 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Wow, great job! That takes some serious steady hand cutting / grinding action... Props!
Old 05-06-11, 09:08 PM
aEO 37
Driver

I don't window tint would work well. It would be pretty difficult to tint it to with the curves and small space. I would suggest to get it clear coated to protect it from the sun if anything

Quick Reply: As promised: DIY Plexiglass Headlight CLEAR Lenses