SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

This is how you install RSX seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-11, 02:03 PM
soarinhigh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is how you install RSX seats

So I scored some RSX seats a while back and have been putting off the project for a while. I know a lot of people are still unsure of how difficult this project is. Well it's pretty easy. I did it yesterday and figured I would share how I did it so everyone else can too.

These seats are now bolted to the FACTORY positions and I can take them in and out as I please. The mounts look stock.

First things first.... make sure you have the necessary tools and a good place to work to do this. If you do then this should only take about 2 hours.

Tools needed:

Air Chisel

Various Grinders

And not pictured are a wire feed welder, wire wheel, and welding blankets. Oh and a 14mm socket for all the bolts.

First thing you need to do is take out your SC seats. Be sure to move them all the way back before you unplug them. This gives more room to work. Then you lay the seat down and use the air chisel to seperate the brackets from the rails.

Grind the surfaces clean on the brackets so they will be flush to the new rails.

Now do the same thing to the RSX seats. Be careful not to mess up the rails on these since you will be reusing them with your old brackets. Then clean up the rails on the RSX seats so they will sit nicely.

Now you want to bolt the factory brackets into your car.

This is also a good time to vacuum.

Once the brackets are bolted back in, set the RSX seat in on top of the bracket. You will need to finagle it a bit to make sure it fits well. Now you need to sit in the seat to make sure the seat back is square to the rest of the car.... You dont want to be sitting krooked. We did the passenger side forst so we were all practiced up for the drivers side

Once the seat is in the car where you want it put a couple tack welds on the bracket/rail in the front.then sit in it again.
Does it feel straight?
If it does then go ahead and tack the inside rear bracket.

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!
Unbolt the outside rear bracket. You need to cut it to fit otherwise it will be stuck and you wont be able to get to the bolt.

once you have tack welded all four brackets take the seat back out of the car.
Now use your (or someone else's) awesome welding skills to thoroughly weld the brackets to the rails of the RSX seat. When you are done welding be sure to cut about 3/4 inch off of the rear outside rail so you can access the bolt hole.

This is also a good time to swap the seat belt buckles. Pretty self explanatory so I didn't take pics.

Then take a wire brush to the welds to clean them and black them out with some trim black paint or something. Set the seat back into the car. Bolt it down and you are good to go!!

If you did a good job lining things up you will still be able to use the factory bracket covers.
see!

Done!

I hope this helps some of you. If you have any questions or notice that I missed something be sure to let me know so I can fix it.
Old 04-25-11, 03:08 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

loooks to be a big pain in the behind lol.

The seats look pretty good though.

Personally i like the sc seats better but thanks for sharing the how to.
Old 04-25-11, 03:15 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

that does look like a pain in the butt to do.. haha
Old 04-25-11, 03:20 PM
ScAmor
Driver

Alota work.... does this cut weight any?
Old 04-25-11, 03:52 PM
soarinhigh
Lead Lap

I know it seems like a lot of work but it really isnt. It's no more work than installing an HID kit really. I know its not for some people but I needed better seats for race season and the RSX seats are a HUGE upgrade over stock. They perform well under really hard driving

They definitely cut weight. I'd guess about 20-30 pounds. The stock SC drivers seat is really heavy....

keep in mind you lose ALL electronic seat controls.
Old 04-25-11, 05:28 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

any change in the overall position, especially height?
Old 04-25-11, 06:27 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good!! I will be doing this exact same thing to my sc only with evo 8 leather recaros.
Old 04-25-11, 06:30 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by soarinhigh
It's no more work than installing an HID kit really.
I don't believe that for one second.
Old 04-25-11, 06:39 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ThomasGS4

I don't believe that for one second.
Haha me either. But nice work tho they actually look pretty good
Old 04-25-11, 07:19 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the seats look pretty good, but it's not my style...I honestly still prefer the SC seats overe the RSX. Good write up tho...I seen someone else with Black RSX seats, can't remember their name, but they're on CL...thanks for sharing
Old 04-25-11, 07:21 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the stock seats way better. It was a very good DIY on the write up. What did your stock SC seats look like?
Old 04-25-11, 09:42 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

good stuff. i did the same thing kind of when i installed some bride seats in my SC
Old 04-25-11, 11:16 PM
soarinhigh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by StiCk3
any change in the overall position, especially height?
They are about a half inch taller but i dont really notice it. I am 5'10" and I feel very comfortable in them.

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
I like the stock seats way better. It was a very good DIY on the write up. What did your stock SC seats look like?
My stock seats are fine. There is one rip in the drivers seat about an inch long but other than that they are great. They just didnt provide the support I needed. I always hated bracing myself against the door or the center console in a hard turn. Now I dont have to

And no it is not really as easy as an HID kit.. exaggeration on my part lol but it is about the same as sayyyyyy putting in new shocks. Maybe easier. Now that I have done it once I bet I could do it again in about an hour.
Old 04-26-11, 02:36 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

nice writeup!
Old 04-26-11, 02:46 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

It's no more work than installing an HID kit really
lol. I'll make sure to tell our HID kit customers that if they can install RSX seats they can install an HID kit ;-)

Quick Reply: This is how you install RSX seats