92 SC 400 Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 05:36 PM
BrittonJ85
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC 400 Will Not Start

Good evening,

I just bought a 92 SC400 from some loser who screwed me over but it's cool. My wife is ok with having a project car and I bought it for $1700.00 so no bigger. But my issue is that the car will not start. I believe it is the key because the ''black'' piece is missing, so it's just the silver piece to turn the ignition. I believe this black piece is the brains aka security chip so that the car will start.

This is an example of what the key should look like (which mine does not have the black piece):

Tomorrow I will be able to check the spark plugs, wires etc but I was wondering what else should I be concern about? And are there other people who have SC's that do not need the black piece on the key? And if I do need it, how do I get another key made and how much would you think it will cost? Please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 04-16-11, 05:39 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

hmmmmmmm well what do you mean wont start?

will it crank?

Please more info

i doubt if its the key.
Old 04-16-11, 06:24 PM
BrittonJ85
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
hmmmmmmm well what do you mean wont start?

will it crank?

Please more info

i doubt if its the key.
Yes it will crank & crank & crank until the battery dies. I thought the Lexus key had some sort of computer in it. Is this not true? I know when I had my 03 Acura CL and got a copy key made it did not start the car because it did not have the black thin (computer).

Basically this is what my key looks like now:

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate your help.

Thanks!
Old 04-16-11, 06:33 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope, the key will work regardless of the plastic stuff.

Plus thats the wrong key, SC's never came with those type of keys.

Start with basic stuff, batteries, plugs, starter, alternator.
Old 04-16-11, 06:37 PM
sc4doubleO
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If its a 92 the key is not the problem mine is a 94 and one of my keys is like that they are called "wallet keys" if i remember correctly. You have to find out what you are missing fuel and/or spark and go from there.
Old 04-16-11, 07:22 PM
BrittonJ85
Rookie

sc300jz - Sounds good. I am planning on checking it tomorrow morning to see if the spark plugs are bad. Should I also replace the plug wires?

sc4doubleO - Thank you, whew it's not the key. I thought I was the only person that had a key like that... I am going to take things apart tomorrow. Should I be able to hear the fuel pump kick in if I turn the key once?

I just not to long ago got finished putting my 91 LS 400 back on the road. So my mind is still fresh on what needs to be done sense the motor is similar to my 91 LS 400.

Thanks all!
Old 04-16-11, 08:25 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

I vote fuel delivery in some fashion.
if it was the key, you woudlnt have the car turn over.
you may not hear the pump atall take out a spark plug and turn the car over, see if you notice gas bring sprayed into the cylinder. if not that can be one way to diagnose. just make sure you let it sit for a while after to prevent fuel flooding as im sure you know.

its not commonly the fuel pump but its been known to happen.
Old 04-16-11, 08:59 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

I think your car may be broken...........Seriously though spark is easy to check, so check that first, if it's there, then most likely fuel. Did it run when you bought it?
Old 04-17-11, 08:18 PM
BrittonJ85
Rookie

soarer93 - Sounds good, I will give the fuel a test tomorrow. I spent too much time at the junk yard getting seats and bought new sparks and wires at the store but I was able to get them in. I was getting ready to start up the car but the battery died at 1st crank lol so tomorrow if it doesn't rain I will have to install a new battery and terminals. So far I love this project car....

scottys209 - Yeah I will see what the outcome is tomorrow if it doesn't rain. I ran out of time today and yes the car was not running at the time I bought it. The guy was suppose to fix it but he ditch me and the car but no biggie the will be fix.
Attached Thumbnails 92 SC 400 Will Not Start-photo.jpg  

Last edited by BrittonJ85; 04-17-11 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Picture
Old 04-18-11, 11:35 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrittonJ85
Yes it will crank & crank & crank until the battery dies. I thought the Lexus key had some sort of computer in it. Is this not true? I know when I had my 03 Acura CL and got a copy key made it did not start the car because it did not have the black thin (computer).

s!
I dont think our keys have computers but they do come with a button that allows u to toggle the alarm on and off.

The cars have imobilizers if you try to start them while the alarm isnt disengaged it will not let you start the car but this is not the problem your having.

Your problem is not the key ----start the diagnostics---weve all been there and its no fun---good luck
Old 04-18-11, 03:51 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

the key you have shown is listed at: LEXUS SC400 key shell - is meant for customers who have a working remote head key that is cracked or broken. You do not need to purchase the complete key if your remote functions are working normally.

there is a different key that comes with remote and or a transponder which it described here:
You are able to program 1998 LEXUS SC400 transponder key by yourself if you have one working key (or key that starts the vehicle). It will first need to be cut to match your original key at an automotive locksmith or the dealership. Once the chip key is cut, you can use the printed programming instructions that we send to make the key work for your vehicle. The instructions are very easy to understand and can be performed in less than 30 seconds. If you have lost all transponder keys for 1998 LEXUS SC400 , you will need to contact an automotive locksmith or dealership to discuss your options.

so its possible that key isnt the only key the buyer had, and i myself kept my original key from my first celica... but possible your key is the problem -
you may have to send a copy of your owners tag and VIN # to a dealership to have a new key with transponder sent to you? if yours actually came with one which is described in the keys above.

but again you shoudlnt be able to crank it over atall if the key didnt have the required transponder..
Old 04-18-11, 04:28 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^^exactly if the key was the problem the car would not turn over at all. His problem is mechanical.
Old 04-19-11, 09:12 AM
BrittonJ85
Rookie

1WILLY1 & soarer93 - Thank you for the reply, I found time to replace the spark plugs, wires, battery and terminals. The car finally fired up once I turned the key but now I need to take it to the shop to get a new timing belt and timing redone because it is missing. I may even tell them to replace the distributors too but she will be fixed next month hopefully.

Thanks everyone!