Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SR built a soardrft supercar

No big story behind this build. My current setup is:

1jz stock long block
gt35 .63 t3 turbo
ebay manifold
3" dp
blitz ol skool dual exhaust (dont know the name)
550 cc injectors
in tank walbro fuel pump
hks bov black
blitz r fit
blitz sbc-id
apex rev speed meter
kaaz 2-way lsd
eibach springs (temp while the JIC's get back from being refreshed)
greddy catch can

Dyno is 339hp and 321tq on 11psi 91 octane (could have went more, but just wanted to see my dyno graphs of both twin and gt35 at 11psi)

Now for the good part. I have been friends with SR Motorcars for years and they specialize in LEXUS platforms. I never really took my car to their shop because i am a budget racer. Why pay when you can do it yourself right? But i got to the point where i was tired of doing long drags on the freeway trying to tune my car and not getting good results.

Soooooooooooooooooo its time for a professional tune. I went to SR and told them exactly my driving style (100% lead 100% of the time). I AutoX, Drag, Drift, Roadcourse, and street race anything that comes my way. As we talked about my goals which are.

Daily drive
fuel efficient (lmao)
spool like a stock
450hp (remember daily drive lead foot)
And we all strive for RELIABILITY
and handle all types of driving

We laughed for a few hours. Took another look at the car and decided to just turn up the boost. I drove it around for awhile and still was not happy with the spool response. also the injectors just seemed to act like a thirsty marathon runner. relability was there, but man those gas prices compared to my twin setup . We decided to do a compression check. When in doubt check to see if you hurt the motor while trying to self tune right? sure enough i was 130 across the board . Ok so back to the drawing board. As a budget racer down time was never an issue (1 - 2 days at most). SR came up with the best idea since slice bread for me. Buy an extra long block, build that while you drive your current setup, and hopefully the other motor does not blow while searching for parts.

I found a fellow clublexus member looking to get rid of his stock GE. Hmmmmmm all i had to do was help him with the swap. hmmmmm. hopped in the car with my tool bag and free motor here i come. Few hours later, 1 pack of cigs and i have a stock GE. Took the motor to the shop and we agreed 1jz+2jz=1.5jz. JZ basics 101. enough bottom end to increase spool response. change the internals for the lead foot issue. Spend 800 on perfecting the compression. .

So back to the shop where we can brain storm some more. What to do with all this extra money. My power goals are modest. PICS soon to come but this is what we have come up with:

2jz bore, honed, hot tanked, etc........
Scat rods (good to 1000hp)
cp pistons ( not sure the measurements but they are 8:5:1)
ARP head, main, rod kits
JZ gasket kit
BC springs/ retainers for 2jz
BC 264 cams (but might use the 2jz machined for better response)
new 1jz head refreshed, basic port
npr ring set
JIC refresh on the coilovers

Just the basics for now, but since i have no down time at this time i may throw a few more goodies in later. BIG THANKS to those on this form that sold me parts and to SR Motorcars for making my shop experience 1 for the record books. Talk about teaching a budget racer to think long term costs is not easy.
Old 04-07-11, 09:56 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

where's the pics?
Old 04-07-11, 10:56 AM
el400
Rookie

good stuff were the pics x2
Old 04-07-11, 10:56 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Just a few pics before i flood this thread.
Attached Thumbnails SR built a soardrft supercar-current.jpg   SR built a soardrft supercar-before-shop.jpg   SR built a soardrft supercar-stock-vs-gt35.jpg   SR built a soardrft supercar-2jz.jpg   SR built a soardrft supercar-head.jpg  

Old 04-07-11, 11:06 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

oops i forgot the picture of the layout before build. more pics will soon to come in the next few days. Due to formula D it wont be dyno'ed by this weekend . thanks Drifters for postponing my dyno so u can waste tires.
Attached Thumbnails SR built a soardrft supercar-the-goodies.jpg  
Old 05-10-11, 10:12 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Here is the update. Its been a long time coming but decisions decisions. The head just came back from the machinist. Small port job with the install of the 2jz bc springs and retainers. I kept going back and forth on which cams I should go with. BC 264 or 2jz usdm regrind. Decision made 2jz regrind for more torque down low and a tad bit more RPMIf I want more power later I will go for the BC 264. The block also showed up finally. Time to put this project together. I have also ordered an OS giken twin plate clutch which I hope to have this weekend. Looks like we are ready to put this build together and get some results.
Attached Thumbnails SR built a soardrft supercar-block.jpg   SR built a soardrft supercar-head.jpg   SR built a soardrft supercar-piston.jpg  
Old 05-10-11, 03:59 PM
Yahoo27
Driver

Nice build! I just finshed my 1.5jz last month but then ran into some electrical problems. Its a big difference in spool, im running a 6265 and its day and night!
Old 05-10-11, 04:05 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hmmmm yummy
Old 05-22-11, 09:15 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

New update. The clutch has arrived
SR built a soardrft supercar-new-clutch.jpg

SR built a soardrft supercar-clutch.jpg

but thanks to toyota and their wonderful shipping department my bearings also arrived. LATE. glad they really messed up my order and sent much more than i need. good going kids.

SR built a soardrft supercar-bearings.jpg

last but not least the head. i thought it would be nice to show CL that you can put upgraded BC 2jz springs and retainers on a 1jz head without having a machinist go nuts. Unfortunately i do not have a flow chart because that would have been tapping into my budget.

SR built a soardrft supercar-headwork.jpg

everyone cross your fingers that my next update will be a dyno chart. I honestly cannot find anything else to add to this motor/car. here is my new list as it stands now:

gt35 .63 t3 turbo
ebay manifold
3" dp
blitz ol skool dual exhaust (dont know the name)
550 cc injectors
in tank walbro fuel pump
hks bov black
blitz r fit
blitz sbc-id
apex rev speed meter
kaaz 2-way lsd
greddy catch can
2jz bore, honed, hot tanked, etc........
Scat rods (good to 1000hp)
cp pistons ( not sure the measurements but they are 8:5:1)
ARP head, main, rod kits
JZ gasket kit
BC springs/ retainers for 2jz
2jz machined
new 1jz head refreshed, basic port
OEM bearings and rings
JIC refresh on the coilovers
New Body Kit (but i am going to keep my executive front bumper
OS Giken twin plate clutch
rebuilt R154
aluminum driveshaft
ss brake lines
ebc red stuff brake pads
Origin roof spoiler
Megan Radiator

im sure within 2 weeks this would have changed, but in two weeks i hope to flood this tread with a DIY on 1.5jz
Old 05-22-11, 09:38 AM
tougelabs
Driver School Candidate

Looks like an awesome build...I would ditch the Megan Radiator and put a koyo in. Or you can pick up an old "usually in perfect condition" nascar setup with the built in oil cooler if you convert it to AN fittings.
Old 05-23-11, 08:07 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

suscribed! just curious to see how it turns out. even tho i'll probably stay 1jz with my build.

after seeing one run low 10s. i dont think going 2jz is necessary. but i love to see these type of builds
Old 05-23-11, 08:15 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

I would have stayed 1jz, but the price difference was pennies (when I started of course). Even after the build I'm still within my budget. Cheaper than a 2jz swap.

As for the radiator. I went megan because who can beat a free radiator?
Old 05-23-11, 09:04 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow looks great cant wait to see the finished product and the numbers shes puts out
Old 05-24-11, 10:42 AM
SOLEdier
Driver

How does that .63 back housing spool for you?

Im currently getting a pte6262 with a .63 back housing swapped in my 1.5jz (cant wait)

Just want to know the response of the turbo with the housing.
Old 05-24-11, 10:52 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

The car is not running just yet, But in two weeks I should have numbers. So far the dyno above is the .63, but its not 1.5.

Quick Reply: SR built a soardrft supercar