SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Flakey paint? New bumper or repair?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-11, 07:17 PM
LeeSC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flakey paint? New bumper or repair?

Well here's the front:
Flakey paint? New bumper or repair?-qecwtl.jpg

And the Back (Right exhaust outlet):
Flakey paint? New bumper or repair?-wxrqhl.jpg

I'm pretty certain that these bumpers were resprayed or something before i purchased the car, bondo cracking on the front by the holes from the license plate, gross peeling by the high beams and fogs. If you have a keen enough eye, you can spot that the bumpers are actually a different hue than the rest of the body.

Would it be better to remove the bumpers, sand, bondo holes, repair, and paint myself? Or should I just get some shop to do it?

I'm a decent painter, and I'm almost certain I can make it look better than this...

Side note(Just click it to view it better, it won't let me show the large thumbnail for some reason.):

What the heck is going on here? Just got the new pump and its foaming out? The levels are good on the dipstick, but Im just not sure what to do. The car whines ("shrieks" is probably more accurate) pretty hard when it's cold and I've been led to assume that some of my pulleys are causing it, but after seeing this I still think that it is a problem somewhere in the steering system.
Old 04-03-11, 07:51 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i took my car to a paint shop to get my front bumper and hood repainted, turned out really nice but if you can do it yourself than do it and save yourself some money. as for the power steering, i can't really help you on that one.
Old 04-04-11, 09:37 AM
LeeSC300
Pole Position

bumpity bump bump.

SC300_704 - Thats my general thought on the whole thing, I just want a general consensus of what to do..
Old 04-04-11, 11:13 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same problem with my front bumper, and i decided to undergo the self paint process, sorta. I just had to keep on peeling paint off of it, it was ridiculous. Sand down to the plastic and prime.
Old 04-04-11, 11:27 AM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeSC300
Well here's the front:

And the Back (Right exhaust outlet):

I'm pretty certain that these bumpers were resprayed or something before i purchased the car, bondo cracking on the front by the holes from the license plate, gross peeling by the high beams and fogs. If you have a keen enough eye, you can spot that the bumpers are actually a different hue than the rest of the body.

Would it be better to remove the bumpers, sand, bondo holes, repair, and paint myself? Or should I just get some shop to do it?

I'm a decent painter, and I'm almost certain I can make it look better than this...

Side note(Just click it to view it better, it won't let me show the large thumbnail for some reason.):

What the heck is going on here? Just got the new pump and its foaming out? The levels are good on the dipstick, but Im just not sure what to do. The car whines ("shrieks" is probably more accurate) pretty hard when it's cold and I've been led to assume that some of my pulleys are causing it, but after seeing this I still think that it is a problem somewhere in the steering system.
If your foaming it sounds like you have air in the system and need to bleed it out. Also pull off the reservoir clean it out really good theres a screen inside that gets clogged and restricts flow.
Old 04-04-11, 11:37 AM
wickedsc3
Driver

Well if you have the know how I would do it my self. And since you were thinking about paying a shop to do, why not just get a kit with the extra money and paint it yourself.
Old 04-04-11, 11:41 AM
N00bie909
Lead Lap

Well if there is bondo cracking I'm certain the body should would just make you buy a new bumper and paint is flaking because of bad paint quality. I work at a shop and its a pain in the butt to fix bumpers. Its time for a body kit why not?
Old 04-11-11, 10:52 PM
LeeSC300
Pole Position

Sorry for the late response...

I can do painting myself, I just have to wait until summer where i can get a day or two off work.

About the whole bleeding thing, Im just a bit disappointed in the lexus techs then... thought that would be some common knowledge after putting on a new pump....

Im DYING to get some aero on this. 97+ ultimately, but wouldn't mind the origin 'stylish' kit. Is the one on Luxurymods a knockoff, or legit?
Old 04-12-11, 01:09 AM
coolewong
Driver

Originally Posted by LeeSC300
Sorry for the late response...

I can do painting myself, I just have to wait until summer where i can get a day or two off work.

About the whole bleeding thing, Im just a bit disappointed in the lexus techs then... thought that would be some common knowledge after putting on a new pump....

Im DYING to get some aero on this. 97+ ultimately, but wouldn't mind the origin 'stylish' kit. Is the one on Luxurymods a knockoff, or legit?
I like that kit too. Found it cheaper here: http://intensepower.com/ogscstykit.html
And I've the same question too... Is it a knockoff or authentic one?
Old 04-12-11, 04:57 AM
jbrowning
Driver School Candidate

take it a shop bumpers can be really tricky any cracks in the paint will have to be sanded down to the plastic or they will be back within 6 months. and the metalic blue is a hard color to match they will have to try different tints and blend to get it to match your car. theres alot more to painting than tossing a color down.
Old 04-12-11, 07:18 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by coolewong
I like that kit too. Found it cheaper here: http://intensepower.com/ogscstykit.html
And I've the same question too... Is it a knockoff or authentic one?
it right around the price of a authentic origin kit on any car ($800-1000) and it says origin on the site....
Old 04-12-11, 11:35 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Getting a new bumper would probably be your best bet
Old 06-03-11, 07:12 AM
LeeSC300
Pole Position

Bringing this back from the dead...

I've temporarily sealed off the peeling areas with some clear nail polish. I was thinking of maybe getting some black and making it two tone...but I'm not sure.. I'm in LOVE with this color.. SO hard to find people that have the right color parts. RSP looks pretty, but this seems more rare to me.
Old 06-03-11, 08:17 AM
socal72
Lead Lap

If your dead set on the color just pony up and have the car resprayed or spray it yourself. I really cant tell the condition of your paint from the pics, but good/bad your definitely going to have trouble matching your paint its going to be noticeable I dont care how good of a job they do you'll notice So either find a bumper in your color and hope the paint is a good match or your going to have to paint the whole car . Just my 2penny's worth
Old 06-03-11, 08:35 AM
LeeSC300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by socal72
If your dead set on the color just pony up and have the car resprayed or spray it yourself. I really cant tell the condition of your paint from the pics, but good/bad your definitely going to have trouble matching your paint its going to be noticeable I dont care how good of a job they do you'll notice So either find a bumper in your color and hope the paint is a good match or your going to have to paint the whole car . Just my 2penny's worth
Yeah that's what I've been thinking. There are so many random blemishes.. I'm just trying to figure out the best solution on a SUPER tight budget. From the looks of it, I'll be holding off on the paint for QUITE some time

Gotta get a new trans mount and figure out why my rear end hops all over the place on the freeway...

Quick Reply: Flakey paint? New bumper or repair?