SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Really Weird Climate Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 08:40 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Really Weird Climate Control Problem

I have checked every common climate control issue and none of them have fixed my problem.

So, no matter what temperature i turn the dial to the temperature that comes out of my vents is full heat. So from 65 degrees to max hot the temp stays at hot no matter how long I wait, but if i turn the dial to max cold the temp will turn to cold, so its either super hot or outside temp cold (with a/c turned off)
The read out on the display is fine its just not actually changing the temperature.

Does anyone know whats going on and what needs to be fixed?
Old 03-23-11, 08:42 PM
Banikid
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem.
Old 03-23-11, 08:52 PM
DFab
Driver School Candidate

Kinda the same thing happening with mine, only that its cool(outside temp) unless on full hot. Dunno if its related at all.
Old 03-23-11, 09:16 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Are your guys' Climate Controls "replacements" by any chance? If that's the case, Then you guys need to make sure that when you replace your Climate Controls, They must be specific to your year model SCX00 (i.e '95 climate control will only work properly on a '95 and not on a '92-'94 or '97-'00 year model).
Old 03-23-11, 09:23 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue but in the opposite fashion. It's full hot at "max hot" and is cool to cold from 85 downwards, no warm; noticeable in colder months. I checked the wiring going to the temp sensor located behind the grill of the radiator inlet. My wiring was frayed and had some corrosion built up. I repaired it and it seems to be working properly currently.

I'll have to wait for a colder day to get definitive results.
Old 03-24-11, 01:46 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CrazySC300
Are your guys' Climate Controls "replacements" by any chance? If that's the case, Then you guys need to make sure that when you replace your Climate Controls, They must be specific to your year model SCX00 (i.e '95 climate control will only work properly on a '95 and not on a '92-'94 or '97-'00 year model).
Mine is the original one and its worked fine until I installed my viper smart start system but Ive retraced my steps multiple times to make sure everything was plugged in and wired correctly and have even completely pulled the smart start system out to make sure it wasnt interfering with anything.

Im gonna check the temp sensor tomorrow but is there any chance it could just be a fuse?
Old 03-24-11, 02:57 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MattStarr
Mine is the original one and its worked fine until I installed my viper smart start system but Ive retraced my steps multiple times to make sure everything was plugged in and wired correctly and have even completely pulled the smart start system out to make sure it wasnt interfering with anything.

Im gonna check the temp sensor tomorrow but is there any chance it could just be a fuse?
Well, Are you getting any sort of display on the Climate Control's LCD screen? If not, It could be a fuse, But if so, Then I don't know what else to say.
Old 03-24-11, 07:18 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CrazySC300
Well, Are you getting any sort of display on the Climate Control's LCD screen? If not, It could be a fuse, But if so, Then I don't know what else to say.
Im thinkin that if it starts gettin too hot, Ill crack the sunroof and if it gets to cold, ill turn off the a/c... and crack the sunroof lol. Im kinda getting sick of messing with the climate control anyways. I was hoping someone would know how to fix it right off the bat, but oh well, at this point its more of an inconvenience than a problem
Old 03-24-11, 09:22 AM
SexyLexy
Rookie

Out of curiousity, is your a/c light blinking?
Old 03-24-11, 10:48 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The most important thing is to verify the corrct climate control with the year model.. Do this by calling the dealer and telling them the numbers on the bottom of the climate. If correct, it might the climate itself going bad.. It could be the room temp sensor by your right knee sitting in the seat. Are you getting a code 11? or any codes whatsoever?
Old 03-24-11, 03:49 PM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be the outside temp sensor. If it reading rreading wrong it does affect the climate controls. Ex: it reads -22 while its 80 degrees outside
Old 03-24-11, 04:13 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

It's been posted here quite a few times, you should be able to find it. Several members posted they cannot change the temp. Someone found a solution. Been about a year and a half since I saw it.

PS- I think I have a spare set of ***** if you wanna try them.
Old 03-24-11, 04:49 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MattStarr
I have checked every common climate control issue and none of them have fixed my problem.

So, no matter what temperature i turn the dial to the temperature that comes out of my vents is full heat. So from 65 degrees to max hot the temp stays at hot no matter how long I wait, but if i turn the dial to max cold the temp will turn to cold, so its either super hot or outside temp cold (with a/c turned off)
The read out on the display is fine its just not actually changing the temperature.

Does anyone know whats going on and what needs to be fixed?
bad ***** like olt said or bad blend door actuator
Old 03-24-11, 04:55 PM
ucmysc400
Pole Position

that was happening to me when i just bought my 93 sc4 till i got a new heater valve. but Who knows if its the problem. A lot of people recommended bypassing it. It used to happen to me all the time when its cold outside it only warm at higher speeds when i slowed down the temperature dropped fast.
Old 03-26-11, 04:49 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
It's been posted here quite a few times, you should be able to find it. Several members posted they cannot change the temp. Someone found a solution. Been about a year and a half since I saw it.

PS- I think I have a spare set of ***** if you wanna try them.
I picked up a couple sets of ***** to test it the other day and im still back to square one, but at least I have some black ***** and hazard button now to go with my black and tan interior reupholstery . It had to have been something I did when I installed my smart start system cause the problem started the day after I finished installing it. Ive seen the interior temp sensor and it looked ok is there a way to test it?

My interior is completely and utterly gutted right now so what else should I check while ive got the opportunity?

Quick Reply: Really Weird Climate Control Problem