SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

detail,wax and buff

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-11, 11:45 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by tpham86
i literally just finished buffing my car . I had to wetsand the nasty gold pinstripe that was painted on. I used 2000 grit sandpaper to sand it off..then I washed the whole car and clayed it.

Step 1: used a yellow cutting pad and 3m compound to remove the sanding marks. Also did a once over of the whole car with the same stuff.

Step 2: used an orange polish pad with Menzerna Intensive Polish to pickup most of the swirls left by the compound

Step 3. Green paid with Menzerna Final Polish

Step 4: White pad with Menzerna Finishing Glaze

Step 5. Gray pad with Menzerna FMJ Sealant

Step 6. Top it with Meguiars NXT hand wax. I have yet to do this step. I started at 11am and just finished. Its dark and ill just apply the wax tomorrow.

My back hurts like hell and Im starving lol. Im pretty happy with the results but there is only so much you can do on 14yr old paint with oxidized bird poop
All that money for menzerna products and you topped it off with meguiars nxt? FMJ is already a sealant, so I don't know why you're trying to top it off with another sealant (nxt). Usually after a sealant you are done unless you want to top it off with a nice carnauba based wax.

Originally Posted by -Samurai-
Btw, The "Ultimate Detail" here at my nearest Lexus dealer is only $249.99. And it includes anything you can think of. Worth it for this price?

- Degrease engine compartment
- Acid wheel wash
- Remove bugs
- Clean door jams and wheel wells
- Hand wash and dry vehicle
- Clay bar, to remove contaminates from the painted surfaces
- High speed buffing to remove light scratches
- Machine polish to exterior
- Apply wax to exterior
- Dress tires and wheel wells
- Touch up rock chips
- Vacuum interior, trunk and luggage compartments
- Thorough cleaning of interior with air tools
- Clean: dash, door panels, and center console
- Clean all leather seats and vinyl surfaces
- Clean windows inside and out
- Pre spot for stain removal
- Clean interior glass
- Steam clean all carpeted surfaces
- Pressure wash carpet floor mats and all weather mats
- Interior air freshener if requested
I'd be really worried about that acid wheel wash.

The definition of a complete detail varies too much. Any shop can make your car looks better, but their methods are different, and their methods are what determine the price you pay.

A shop that uses top of the line products will aim for true correction which is very time consuming. A true correction will leave your car looking nicer for a longer period of time. Their pricing is a lot higher and their turnover rate is a lot lower. Their target market is a true car enthusiast, someone who understands how expensive proper paint work is and why keeping it properly maintained is important.

A regular shop who's target market is the average person who just wants to have their car look nicer at a reasonable price. Usually shops like this will use a light polish followed by a glaze to fill in the remainder if the swirls left behind. A glaze has fillers to hide swirl marks and it makes the paint look deeper and darker which is great for black cars. It gives the customers the look they want and at a much lower cost (labor and product cost).
Old 03-20-11, 08:58 PM
gijohnnyb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Wal Mart or your local auto parts store. Get some Simple Green degreaser, ICE liquid clay bar, Meguires wax (whichever you prefer), Tire Shine, and Armoral interior detail, a small fine haired paint brush (for getting dust and dirt out of small cracks in the dash etc., any other product you might need for leather interior or wheels.

Bring your car to one of those do it yourself car washes. Use the pressure hose to spray out your engine bay...put your degreaser to work. After that...give your car a quick wash down and vaccuum the carpet. Then while still wet go to work with the clay bar (read the directions!), then apply your wax and move on to the other areas and take your time....it is going to take you a few hours to give your car a full detail by hand..but it is totally worth it!

Oh, and a tip...use cleaner wax on your wheels. It removes pretty much any kind of brake dust, dirt, grime, etc. and it gives a nice shine and protective coat.
Old 03-20-11, 09:28 PM
tpham86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
All that money for menzerna products and you topped it off with meguiars nxt? FMJ is already a sealant, so I don't know why you're trying to top it off with another sealant (nxt). Usually after a sealant you are done unless you want to top it off with a nice carnauba based wax.
lol, up til this point I always thought the NXT was a carnuaba-based wax. LOLOL. I used to apply 2-3 more coats of sealant and top it with NXT (which at the time, i thought was carnauba based wax!) Then I got lazy and had no time to follow up the days after to apply more coats. Thanks for the heads up... looks like I'm on the hunt for some wax.
Old 03-20-11, 09:41 PM
RockRash
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gijohnnyb
Go to Wal Mart or your local auto parts store. Get some Simple Green degreaser, ICE liquid clay bar, Meguires wax (whichever you prefer), Tire Shine, and Armoral interior detail, a small fine haired paint brush (for getting dust and dirt out of small cracks in the dash etc., any other product you might need for leather interior or wheels.

Bring your car to one of those do it yourself car washes. Use the pressure hose to spray out your engine bay...put your degreaser to work. After that...give your car a quick wash down and vaccuum the carpet. Then while still wet go to work with the clay bar (read the directions!), then apply your wax and move on to the other areas and take your time....it is going to take you a few hours to give your car a full detail by hand..but it is totally worth it!

Oh, and a tip...use cleaner wax on your wheels. It removes pretty much any kind of brake dust, dirt, grime, etc. and it gives a nice shine and protective coat.
i'll remeber that next time but i'll go and buy a pressure washer and hook it to my hot water heater