SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Electronics Shutting Off

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 07:16 PM
ScJz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car shutting off while driving

Every once in a while my cluster stereo and all headlights and interior lights will cut off and then back on after about 2 sec. This happens every 2 days maybe...Battery checked 628/585cca alternator and starter tests came back good. Has anyone else experienced the same problems. Or anyone have any ideas what could be the cause?

Last edited by ScJz; 03-11-11 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-07-11, 08:15 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Sounds like a ground issue....
Old 03-08-11, 05:12 AM
breadsc400
Rookie

I get the same problem when its night time, I have 4 8k hid's running and then a jl audio w7 with a 1000watt amp powering it, after about 30 minutes if im using the subs the same thing will happen to me. Lights cut off/stereo restarts

could this be a ground issue for me was well, and does that mean Id have to check the grounds on all the hids/subs
Old 03-08-11, 08:10 AM
ScJz
Driver

Originally Posted by scottys209
Sounds like a ground issue....
thanks scotty I will do research and see what grounds to look at and if any are not feeling well.
Old 03-08-11, 10:27 AM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

check that the battery terminals are not corroded and make sure that they are on tight. if ur not sure if the terminals are good, just replace them, theyr less than $10 at your local auto parts store. if the problem is still there check your am1 fuse in the relay box, its a blue box fuse with a clear cover.
Old 03-08-11, 10:34 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Li Ls4
check that the battery terminals are not corroded and make sure that they are on tight. if ur not sure if the terminals are good, just replace them, theyr less than $10 at your local auto parts store. if the problem is still there check your am1 fuse in the relay box, its a blue box fuse with a clear cover.
Yes, and don't use the spray "anti-corrosive" crap, use vasoline.....yes, vasoline, it's an incredible anti-corrosive used by real electricians for prevention.
Old 03-08-11, 10:37 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by breadsc400
I get the same problem when its night time, I have 4 8k hid's running and then a jl audio w7 with a 1000watt amp powering it, after about 30 minutes if im using the subs the same thing will happen to me. Lights cut off/stereo restarts

could this be a ground issue for me was well, and does that mean Id have to check the grounds on all the hids/subs
No, you are probably in need of upgrading either your wiring (big 3) or your alternator....or both. Generally, it wouldn't be all of your grounds, it would be on the side of circuits that is switching your accessories on.
Old 03-08-11, 11:18 AM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by breadsc400

def look into the big 3 and are you running any kind of cap in that system?? ive got a 12 and a 10 in my trunk with 550watts and 4 8k hids. but i do have a cap cause my lights kinda dimmed everytime the bass hit hard but not anymore. good luck
Old 03-08-11, 04:43 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test the alterantor...please. Just had this done.
Old 03-08-11, 07:04 PM
ScJz
Driver

With my case I had stated that battery alt and starter were good so I will check the other options to see where the cause is. Thanks for the suggestions again
Old 03-10-11, 05:40 AM
ScJz
Driver

Now it has gotten worse i hear crackling and popping noise in the stereo and when it happens it flickers for a while ...as well as the noises...i thought it was going to catch fire....it sounded like sparks were being created.....i installed hids yesterday and seems to have gotten worse but it did it before the hids as well....possible fuse or relay going bad?
Old 03-11-11, 05:54 AM
ScJz
Driver

So last night on my way home my headlights and interior lights and stereo were going crazy. Poltergeist like. So i turned the radio off and it seemed to stop until i hit the breaks. Everything would just stop working....then this morning my whole car actually shut off while driving...so since noone really knows whats wrong with it im going to try to replace the alternator today and then go from there
Old 03-11-11, 07:57 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ScJz
So last night on my way home my headlights and interior lights and stereo were going crazy. Poltergeist like. So i turned the radio off and it seemed to stop until i hit the breaks. Everything would just stop working....then this morning my whole car actually shut off while driving...so since noone really knows whats wrong with it im going to try to replace the alternator today and then go from there
Do you have a voltage tester (or access to one)? I would test voltage while running with all accessories on. I still feel like it's a dash ground somewhere, but it could be large dips in voltage. You should be getting 13.7-14.4 (roughly) while everything is on, if it's lower than that, you have issues, if it's not, you're losing a ground somewhere.
Old 03-11-11, 08:55 AM
ScJz
Driver

Originally Posted by scottys209
Do you have a voltage tester (or access to one)? I would test voltage while running with all accessories on. I still feel like it's a dash ground somewhere, but it could be large dips in voltage. You should be getting 13.7-14.4 (roughly) while everything is on, if it's lower than that, you have issues, if it's not, you're losing a ground somewhere.
last night a guy actually had access to one and tested while the car was running. it stayed at 14. What grounds should I look at ? where should I begin looking?
Old 03-11-11, 09:42 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ScJz
last night a guy actually had access to one and tested while the car was running. it stayed at 14. What grounds should I look at ? where should I begin looking?
Where did you test? Battery posts? Borrow one and test from an end point such as power wire and ground going to the radio, or the cig lighter. Just because you're charging at 14, and the batt is at 14, doesn't necessarily mean the accessories that are having problems are getting 14, you may have resistance in the circuit somewhere causing a drop in voltage to the harness going to the cabin of the car. Other than that, pull the lower dash panels and look for ground points, remove, clean, apply vasoline...(yes, vasoline) and tighten.

Quick Reply: Electronics Shutting Off