SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 02:35 AM
booga
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scottys209
No luck yet... I found a nice 97, but the guy wouldn't answer his phone or texts, I'm guessing it sold quick. What sucks is that I can't really go to buy one during the week because I'm somewhat on-call for my job, and have a certain response time after my normal hours where I would have to be able to be back in the office.... If you see one let me know ASAP.... My top end would be 7K, and really no more than 140K miles.
I you have the time, expand your search a little farther out. It took me three months searching for a 5 speed. At first I was like you and I kept the Craigslist search within LA and Orange County. Then it included San Diego and the IE. Next was to add Las Vegas, and San Franciso. By the 3rd month I was already looking at Florida.

I found my SC in Albuquerque, NM. It was a good loner road trip.

There seems to be a lot of SC's in Colorado, NM, and Florida. I enjoy browsing through Craigslist for SC's even though I am not in the market to buy. I do forward it to friend who i know happen to be looking for a car.

Last edited by booga; 03-07-11 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-07-11, 08:01 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it does matter, however, some insurance companies also cap their repair costs due to insurance scams especially on financed vehicles, and will total a car instead, and payout the total to the finance company. Picture this, person "a" buys car "b" for payment "c" and drives it for a year. Person "a" gets bored with car "b" or loses job, decides payment "c" is not worth it anymore, parks it on the street, has buddy "e" smash it with truck / suv he bought from an impound yard for $500, they take it to a "friendly" body shop and the cost to repair is $26,000 due to that being a relatively new facelift to the SC model, and parts are rare. Insurance company writes check for $26,000 to "friendly" body shop, body shop pays person "a" $20,000 over a few months in cash he makes from after-hours (side jobs that body shops are notorious for) takes pictures of other lexus to "prove repair" to insurance company and person "a" pays buddy "e" then reports car stolen (car ends up parted out / bottom of body of water) or stops making payments and tells finance company good luck finding it.

So, for some insurance companies they will say more than the value of the car to repair, or more than X amount = Total Loss.

All of this aside, I still will pass on the car if the guy calls me today (said he would if he still had it) and find another one somewhere else. I can't expand my search further than 3 hours away, because I am an "on-call" employee and must request time off in advance.

You guys are awesome! I've been on several other car forums, (focaljet, contour.org, Markviii.org) and you guys are the coolest, most helpful group so far! Thanks!
Old 03-07-11, 11:23 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by booga
It matters.

Lets take this back to the year 2000. My SC400 is still new with maybe around 15k miles. If I get in an accident and the repair estimate is more than what the car is worth, then the insurance co will salvage it.

We take the same SC400 in the present day. A bicycle could plow into it and the insurance company might salvage it since it is an old car.

Ok - I exaggerated that a little.

When it was salvaged is a measure of how bad the accident was.
I was under the impression the car is given a salvage title when there has been a certain amount of damage thats been repaired.

I do not believe the only way to get a salvage title is when the cars damage is estimated to be more than the cars actual value.

Are you telling me this sc had like $30 000 worth of damage? I highly doubt it.
Old 03-07-11, 12:41 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Just saw this one up in your area. If the timing belt hasn't been done it give you some negotiating room. Color isn't to common. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2251781876.html
Old 03-07-11, 01:15 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Just saw this one up in your area. If the timing belt hasn't been done it give you some negotiating room. Color isn't to common. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2251781876.html
E-Mailed Him / Her.... Not my choice of color, but it looks clean, and I'm more worried about how it's been cared for. I don't think I'd go over 6800 on it.
Old 03-07-11, 01:18 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
I was under the impression the car is given a salvage title when there has been a certain amount of damage thats been repaired.

I do not believe the only way to get a salvage title is when the cars damage is estimated to be more than the cars actual value.

Are you telling me this sc had like $30 000 worth of damage? I highly doubt it.
YES!

Please google stuff like that if your unsure in the future.
Old 03-07-11, 01:51 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Cool, so I E-mailed and he responded quickly! T-Belt service has not been done, and he said based on that he is willing to deal.... The cheapest indy shop around here that I trust is $900 pre-tax, probably not OEM parts for the service. I don't want to insult the guy, but how much should I offer? It is low miles 90,800, but...no offense to anyone who has that color, but....yeah, not my thing. High points are it's clean, has heated seats and T/C. I'm wondering why it had the temp reg sticker in the window (usually that's a problem smogging) tag....Makes me weary for being at the top end of my budget.
Old 03-07-11, 02:03 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Id go in at $6,500 and just see what he says. The service is going to run at $1000+/-. I wouldn't offer anything until I see it in person though. You might offer him $6,500 but then go see it and it needs a few other things. Get the VIN# and ill check the records for you. Oh and it looks like he addresses the sticker in the window saying he took it off. You could tell him you want to have it smogged yourself before you buy. There are people out there who will pass the car over the phone for a few hundred dollars, so you want to make sure it truly passed smog.
Old 03-07-11, 02:30 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Id go in at $6,500 and just see what he says. The service is going to run at $1000+/-. I wouldn't offer anything until I see it in person though. You might offer him $6,500 but then go see it and it needs a few other things. Get the VIN# and ill check the records for you. Oh and it looks like he addresses the sticker in the window saying he took it off. You could tell him you want to have it smogged yourself before you buy. There are people out there who will pass the car over the phone for a few hundred dollars, so you want to make sure it truly passed smog.
Definitely will want to smog it myself before I buy! I will get the VIN from him asap, thanks again man, I really appreciate it!
Old 03-07-11, 02:44 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Update: He said the lowest he'd go is $7000, said he just fixed the driver window, and that he's waiting for the pink slip from the dmv, so, I'm guessing he bought it with a few problems (smog being one of them) to flip.
Old 03-07-11, 02:58 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

$7000 is too much IMO.
Old 03-07-11, 03:46 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

For 7K I would probably pass. The mileage is low but thats about the only thing the car has going for it. The color isn't the most desirable and the major 90K service hasn't been completed. And yeah id be a little hesitant if the car was bought to flip for profit. Its your choice though because for the price I'm not sure if you'll find one with that low of mileage. The leather does look to be in good shape as well. I know most SCs have issues with the leather wearing.
Old 03-07-11, 04:10 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

For 7K I would probably pass. The mileage is low but thats about the only thing the car has going for it. The color isn't the most desirable and the major 90K service hasn't been completed. And yeah id be a little hesitant if the car was bought to flip for profit. Its your choice though because for the price I'm not sure if you'll find one with that low of mileage. The leather does look to be in good shape as well. I know most SCs have issues with the leather wearing.
He stopped responding after I asked for the VIN, probably says something right there. This is the most interesting car hunt I've been on for sure. Even when I was younger....wanted a 5.0, two days later, got one... wanted a Taurus SHO, same, GTP (back when they were hard to find) found one in a day and got a smoking deal, same with my SVT contour, GSXR, etc.... and all of them have been on the up and up. Used car market is shady now, especially since cash 4 clunkers ruined the used car market.
Old 03-07-11, 05:22 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

The sluggish economy has also made people hang onto their cars longer. Yeah if he doesn't want to give you the VIN then something shady is up, or he is just busy. Im sure one will come your way soon. Older ad but this one looks nice and low miles http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2245191139.html

Last edited by COOLIS; 03-07-11 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 06:42 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

JT8UZ30C4S0043499 on the blue one. Guy sent me the carfax, in 2000 it had 85,876.... so.... in 11 years it's done only 5K miles.... I'm not sure on that, especially since it was in Florida and just the trip here eats up a good portion of that.

Quick Reply: Should I buy?