Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-11, 01:49 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Get more money.
More money = GS400 instead...... It just seems from all the stories I've read lately of people acquiring theirs here on the site, this area must just be the most expensive for SC's. Oh well, I told the guy good luck on his sale, may go look at these two tonight, but I want them smogged and reg'd before I even bring money his way.
Old 03-03-11, 02:03 PM
Emilio253
Lead Lap

ide buy it, that interior is looking good exterior looks good, get it checked out by a mechanic and if that passes offer 5000
Old 03-03-11, 02:16 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Salvage means the cost to repair out weighs the cost to replace or the frame was tweaked/bent. Think about how hard you have to plow a car that was 1 year told to do that.

It wouldnt matter if they made 7 of them in 1999, the fact is its still a salvage title car, and it will still be a huge PITA to ever sell for just that reason.
well im not trying to argue about this or anything but im not sure your definition of salvage is 100% accurate.

Salvage title is used when a car has simply been 'salvaged' from an accident.

This could mean as little as having a smashed in bumper and fender that needed to be replaced or it could be as serious as having a total wreck and it being brought back from the dead.

I dont know why people keep mentioning the age of the car when the salvage title was issued---I dont see how it matters-----the car was obviously in some sort of accident---whether it was one year old or twenty years old doesnt really matter--the salvage title would be the same IMO.

Agreed most people --myself included----would pretty much stay away from any salvage title car just to be on the safe side.

I am only asking the op to do a little research on what exactly was done to the car only due to the fact that this is a low mileage 99 sc400 and is extremely rare---if it was a 93 i would of stopped posting in this thread along time ago----

and my position would be to walk away from this and dont look back.

Can anyone see anything wrong with this car aside from the steering wheel and console shifter area?

Cause I cant see a thing.

Either this car was repaired by an extremely good body shop or maybe the damage was not so bad to begin with.

Im tempted to call this seller just out of curiosity and see what he says about it.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 03-03-11 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-03-11, 02:46 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

A carfax would clear if this car was really totaled in 2000 cause a 1999 SC400 went as much as 57K MSRP; see here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ensive-sc.html

That car would be worth at least 35K easily in 2000
Old 03-03-11, 06:51 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like the seller deleted the ad, but never buy a salvage car unless the seller can document the repairs and accident. Otherwise your like a blind man buying the car. If you look around the Bay area or Southern California, you should be able to find a nice SC400 for that price. It might not be the newest one, but if you find an older one just look and make sure a few things were done. The older SCs had air conditioner issues. The bushing fail on almost all I have heard of, even up to the 2000 model. Door hinges on the older ones can creak like crazy. The dealer says to replace them, but a little WD40 does the job. The dash needles go out, and the climate control and radio LCD can bleed. CD changers can be troublesome. As you know timing belt and waterpump must be done, but also see if the actual 90K service was completed. This is where they will have replaced all the seals and fluids. Other than some little issues these are solid cars as most people know. My mom still has her 92 SC400 in mint condition, but it has had almost all the issues I have mentioned and it has been dealer serviced by the same dealer since new. Keep us updated, interested to see what you end up with.
Old 03-03-11, 07:22 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Unfortunately this area is actually littered with crappy examples. A certain group around the bay and Sac love to raise them, put 26" rims, candy purple, pink and red paint and ruin them. Here is one that looks decent, aside from the rims, it was hit on the back right quarter panel a few months ago. This guy buys salvages, fixes them and sells them, but the price seems ok. First thing I would do is go have the 90K done, and at this price I could put a little into it. He's really honest about what doesn't work, which he said is one of the led's on the speedo needle and the passenger power mirror. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2242889862.html I think he'd go $3600-$3800 on it, I have $5500 in my pocket for this, leaves me room to get it where it needs to be.
here's the other add now for $6500:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2245815820.html
Old 03-03-11, 07:27 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

no man look at how the trunk closes on the first one----its messed up completely.

I still cant find one thing wrong with the black one----ive been asking everyone else to try to find something---aside from the steering wheel and console i cant see a thing body wise or engine compartment wise---and the mileage is so low
Old 03-03-11, 07:50 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pass on the blue one. You can see the lines are off on passenger side, the door isnt aligned right in the frame and the paint work is way off on passenger side.

Black one you will need high res pics or see in person as its tougher to tell on black but basically if it gets to that point get a PPI done and until you have a body shop/mechanic or Lexus dealer check it out stay away.

You could always expand your search to another state thats truly the only way your going to find other options.

Its sad to see how far the prices have dropped on these. My 92 is at a point its not worth selling with 84k miles as it would be a steal for the prices these are commanding.

Good luck AND BE PATIENT thats the best advice I can give you.
Old 03-03-11, 08:17 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RolxuSC400
Pass on the blue one. You can see the lines are off on passenger side, the door isnt aligned right in the frame and the paint work is way off on passenger side.

Black one you will need high res pics or see in person as its tougher to tell on black but basically if it gets to that point get a PPI done and until you have a body shop/mechanic or Lexus dealer check it out stay away.

You could always expand your search to another state thats truly the only way your going to find other options.

Its sad to see how far the prices have dropped on these. My 92 is at a point its not worth selling with 84k miles as it would be a steal for the prices these are commanding.

Good luck AND BE PATIENT thats the best advice I can give you.
yes good advice-----what is a PPI?

Is it a way for them to tell where and how severe the body work was?

Like checking for bondo and stuff?

thanks in advance
Old 03-03-11, 08:34 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

PPI= Pre-purchase inspection. The blue/silver one is a no no. Like others have said the trunk doesn't match up as well as the paint. Craigslist usually isn't the place to look for a quality used car. If the seller is serious and has a decent car they usually go on autotrader.com or something similar. Craigslist is free so anyone will post. Not saying all cars are bad on there, but I do see a lot that are misrepresented. I know exactly what your talking about with the 26" rims and the chameleon or purple/pink paint job. My mom rarely drives her SC400 anymore, but whenever she sees one that is done up with rims and a bad paint job she gets angry. My mom had the problems with the power mirrors, but it was just a minor fix (fuse I think). If your patient one will come up for sale. If you jump into something, its almost guaranteed one will come up way better than what you bought a few weeks later and you will kick yourself in the a$$. Just saw this one on craigslist. I know its far but looks good. Obviously you would need to see service records and interior pictures, but the price is right. http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/2204577571.html

Last edited by COOLIS; 03-03-11 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-03-11, 08:54 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

I just looked up the service for the black SC400. It was salvaged early on, so the owner is being truthful about that. On 11/20/03 at Vista Lexus in Woodland Hills the car had 16,313 miles and this is what the record says "NO CHARGE-UNABLE TO WORK ON CAR(SALVAGE)CAR HAS SEVERAL PROBLEMS" The previous record was from 3/13/2000 at Scottsdale Lexus with the mileage of 13,173 so the accident was sometime is between 2000 and 2003. It doesn't have a good service history at Lexus so I would pass. Also if you click the pictures of the black one it takes you to a photobucket account, and the guy has a lot of other car pictures so he obviously sells car for a living. I would be hesitant that his brother was the previous owner.
Old 03-03-11, 10:07 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Wow man, thanks for Looking that up! Its hard to be patient when I'm making payments on a loan for a car I need and tge money is sitting there but no car, yes I have a focus DD but it has 209k and it is deteriorating fast. I took out a personal loan as my CU won't finance a car older than 7 years on a typical collateral based auto loan, so basically I'm making payments on 6 grand sitting there, I really need to find a car. I can't travel beyond sac / the bay because I don't have anyone to go with me. I really hope something pops up soon.
Old 03-03-11, 11:00 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Originally Posted by scottys209
Wow man, thanks for Looking that up! Its hard to be patient when I'm making payments on a loan for a car I need and tge money is sitting there but no car, yes I have a focus DD but it has 209k and it is deteriorating fast. I took out a personal loan as my CU won't finance a car older than 7 years on a typical collateral based auto loan, so basically I'm making payments on 6 grand sitting there, I really need to find a car. I can't travel beyond sac / the bay because I don't have anyone to go with me. I really hope something pops up soon.

No problem! I know the feeling. It took me 6 months to find a GS430 that was up to my standards a few years back. I checked multiple times a day and one finally came up 6 months later that I still own. I wasn't in the payment situation though. Have you considered other models? There are some great deals on the LS400 out there. They're not as sporty, but just as reliable. Sometimes I see a GS400 for around 6K in great shape, but the mileage is always around 180-200K.
Old 03-03-11, 11:53 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I just looked up the service for the black SC400. It was salvaged early on, so the owner is being truthful about that. On 11/20/03 at Vista Lexus in Woodland Hills the car had 16,313 miles and this is what the record says "NO CHARGE-UNABLE TO WORK ON CAR(SALVAGE)CAR HAS SEVERAL PROBLEMS" The previous record was from 3/13/2000 at Scottsdale Lexus with the mileage of 13,173 so the accident was sometime is between 2000 and 2003. It doesn't have a good service history at Lexus so I would pass. Also if you click the pictures of the black one it takes you to a photobucket account, and the guy has a lot of other car pictures so he obviously sells car for a living. I would be hesitant that his brother was the previous owner.
I think you're right, going through his photobucket it looks like he may be in business with "Mike's Auto Sales" in Roseville CA. Possibly his buddy owns that dealer, and gets word of salvages through a body shop he deals with / auctions / people walking in to sell their cars or trade them in and this guy sells them on the side and gives him a cut. Even worse, maybe this dealer sends the cars out of state to TX and has the some of the titles cleaned on the newer ones. Either way, the more everyone here digs, the more this seems shady. I still think if he offered me a 4K price I would do it, but that's not going to happen.. I've seen IS's going for 6ish, but usually they are salvages too, or have 160K or more on them. I think the LS is just too big for me, I doubt it would fit in my single car garage. I really would like an SC, the ES doesn't really interest me at all, plus I hear they aren't the tanks the other lexus models are, GS, oh yeah, just too much money is all. At this rate, I'll probably have to settle for a Solara SLE or something like that. I just really need a car that's going to take me the next 80K miles relatively trouble-free, that I can actually drive out of town, I haven't had a car that could do that in about 7 years. It seems like used car prices are through the roof on most cars, I dunno, about ready to take the money back to the bank and just jump on my Gixxer for my out of town trips / weekend driving.
Old 03-04-11, 04:26 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the end its your decision on which route to go we can only provide you the suggestions and words of wisdom. If you chose to jump on a salvage car or that salvage car I'd suggest having a respectable reserve set aside for maintenance as its unlikely the car has been neglected.

Regarding Craigslist as a field to mine for prospects; I don't think it should be the only field your cultivating but I dont think its that bad and have seen quite a few very nice cars on there. Friend bought an M5 on one and for a very good price and all checked out in the PPI. Sadly, I dont think Craigslist is the issue its more the price point...I'm not saying anything desparaging AT ALL its just a fact, some of these cars relegate them to all sorts of "lipstick on pigs" type wholesalers who buy them dirt cheap throw coat wax on it put those stupid vacuum lines on the carpet and POOF its ready for retail.

It requires that you be very diligent and patient and KNOW the car. The best advice I can give you is look at EVERY example you can and drive them all THEN you will know a true gem when you find it. Thats when you get the PPI done and the reason I suggested bringing to a Lexus dealer if they do as the other Lexus dealer did and turn it away for service then you know to RUN dont walk away. Basically, you need the seat time in these cars and you need to know all the known issues for them as well.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Should I buy?