SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Bad Power Steering Pump?? **VIDEO**

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 02:59 PM
CanadaSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Power Steering Pump?? **VIDEO**

Hey guys so my sc power steering has been having an issue lately. I have flushed the lines and refilled them but the fluid continues to leak, also there is air getting in the line somewhere because the reservoir is all foamy. Just wondering if anyone can tell from the sounds the car makes when turning the wheel if it is the pump? I have read up on these and it seems to be a common issue. Any insight would be great, thanks guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkERx6tN6f0
Old 03-01-11, 03:47 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats bad find the leaks and fix them.
Old 03-01-11, 03:55 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same issue I had with my ls400
Old 03-01-11, 04:13 PM
AzNbOi2626
Driver School Candidate

i had the same problem in my sc. noise and foamy p/s fluid.

all i did was...
-removed the p/s reservoir
-cleaned it with lots of carb cleaner.
-let it dry
-reinstall
-fill with p/s fluid.

havent had a problem since. hope this helps
Old 03-01-11, 04:59 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

are you sure you bled the system properly? With the front tires up in the air, steer the wheel back and forth about 10-15 times to make sure all the air is out of the system.

Also check the idle-up valve (it's the little valve on the pressure side with two lines coming off of it, one from engine vacuum the other air intake). They can fail internally and start sucking in PS fluid into the engine.
Old 03-01-11, 05:24 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

I would say there is air in the lines or system.
Old 03-01-11, 05:44 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

I had low fluid in mine and it made a bad whining noise due to air in the lines, and shortly went away after topping it off. Didn't sound nearly as bad as that. Theres gotta be something else other than air in the lines.
Old 03-01-11, 06:05 PM
CanadaSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StiCk3
are you sure you bled the system properly? With the front tires up in the air, steer the wheel back and forth about 10-15 times to make sure all the air is out of the system.

Also check the idle-up valve (it's the little valve on the pressure side with two lines coming off of it, one from engine vacuum the other air intake). They can fail internally and start sucking in PS fluid into the engine.
Yes I did all of the above when I took it to my mechanic he said it was leaking from the actual pump gasket itself. He informed me it would be cheaper to just buy a used or rebuilt pump. I just wanted a second opinion on what you guys thought the issue was. Thanks for the imput so far guys!
Old 03-01-11, 06:17 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

if it's leaking from the pump, make sure first that the bolts on the back of the pump are tight. I had this issue when i swapped my 2JZ pump onto my 1JZ and didn't realize that the bracket bolts also held the pump together. They might be a bit tricky to get to, but they can be tightened.
Old 03-01-11, 06:35 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

I had the same issue, I just brought a used pump and it stop.
Old 03-02-11, 05:41 AM
HEWJsc4
Pole Position

There is a $30 rebuild kit available for our PS pumps. Pop your hood and see if you can find where the leak is. If it is coming from a circular protrusion on the top right side of the pump you can fix it yourself for 30 bucks.

I will post a pic of what I'm talking about and a link to where you get the kit if needed after I get home from work.
Old 03-02-11, 06:29 AM
CanadaSC
Driver School Candidate

Took a look at it last night it looks like it is leaking from the pump, when I get home I will also post pics of what I am seeing.
Old 03-02-11, 01:41 PM
CanadaSC
Driver School Candidate

This appears to be where its leaking from, I cleaned the area around it to see if there is any fluid that is leaking there

Old 03-02-11, 04:59 PM
jer_con
Rookie

Unfortunatley I'm all too familar with this...uuuggghhh. So where do I start. First my old rack was leaking and the pump was seeping but not bad enough to suck air or down on to the alternator. So I found another used rack, installed it and replaced the pump + PS Pressure hose all at the same time thinking I would be good to go. Basically everything except the resevior was leaking or seeping in my case.

Ok so, I took my old pressure hose down to a local hydraulic shop to have it re-done and a long story short it turned out to be an air-sucking POS. I just tore off the vacuum port from the end of the hose and welded it shut, I don't care about the idle up. The Kragen PS pump I bought (I know..I know...my bad) was garbage right out of the box. So I took in the rear from the stealership and bought a new one for $450.

So all is good now right, ppptthhh wrong! Even after all that they system was still sucking air, not bad enough to bubble to the fluid but just enough to make the pump hum at idle and annoy the crap out of me...haha. So now the used rack I bought is leaking all over the place. So just today, I said the hell with it and bought a brand new rack complete with tie rod ends. I've also purchased the Driftmotion PS Pressure Hose for $80 to replace the lousy hydraulic shop make-shift one I have on now.

I've spent waaayyy to much time and $$ on this. I know reading through it the more experienced members will see the obvious mistakes I made. Moral of this story, when you start troubleshooting be very diligent and thorough. These things can be a real pain! Just wanted to share before you get too deep into it.

Originally Posted by CanadaSC
This appears to be where its leaking from, I cleaned the area around it to see if there is any fluid that is leaking there

Old 03-02-11, 06:09 PM
CanadaSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jer_con
First my old rack was leaking and the pump was seeping but not bad enough to suck air or down on to the alternator.
I am not sure if this is a good sign but my pump has a big enough leak that air is seeping in and alot my fluid is leaking. Hopefully the issue is just my ps pump and not my rack or hoses. I am going to pick up a used one with the reservoir for around 80$. Just cross my fingers its niether my rack or any hoses

I hope everything will finally be okay with yours and you get it figured out once and for all. And thanks for sharing on attempting this

Quick Reply: Bad Power Steering Pump?? **VIDEO**