SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Gauge needle repair?

Old 02-14-11, 05:53 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge needle repair?

Where can I get my gauge needles repaired besides Lextech? I refuse to give a cent of my money to them.

Last edited by kikcaffine; 02-15-11 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-14-11, 05:57 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

lol-----------sorry i have no idea---but i assume you didnt care for his customer service?
Old 02-14-11, 06:09 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Not in the least
Old 02-14-11, 11:42 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

AAAAAAAAAAAhahahahhaahahahhaaahaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OLT... is he a fan of yours?
Old 02-15-11, 02:05 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lmao sheesh harsh words
Old 02-15-11, 08:28 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I guess have fun with your blacked out needles haha. im sending mine to him in the next month or so when I stop being so lazy.
Old 02-15-11, 08:47 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had several good experiences with OLT. Just stating my facts.
Old 02-15-11, 09:16 AM
Raffizzz
Driver School Candidate

I ordered the micro smd led's that you put in the needles, the problem is even if you know the order you have to solder them, and the resister to use, it is almost impossible to solder it on that small peace... Let the pro's do their work. As far as other options then lextech... I'm sure alot of people out there repair the same type of needle on other cars... but I don'[t know who they are.'.
Old 02-15-11, 11:08 AM
jer_con
Rookie

Just my .02

I also shared a bad experience with LexTech and agree that the customer service is sub-par. I had the Blue on White done for my Cluster and Climate Control a couple of years ago. After going through all the trouble of removing the items and shipping them it took 4 weeks to get it back then it didn't work. The cluster would just flash for a couple of seconds and turn off and my needles were mis-aligned too. So we went through troubleshooting via email (slow).

Eventually LexTech agreed to take a second look at the unit so of course I was forced to pay for shipping a second time. It turned out the main board was bad and he did replace it for no charge with another one that had 100k more miles than my original. So my original board and the repaired unit was sent back to me and it did work the second time however less than 6 months later the so-called bulletproof "waterfall" needle failed on my fuel gauge then a couple of months later the needle for the speed gauge failed as well.

Now I sit with these two problems and I just don't feel like hassling with the guy anymore. He constantly blames the issues on shipping and I can see that to some degree. How he failed to see a faulty motherboard the first time I think speaks volumes for the lack of diligence in his work so for these reasons I'm finished with LexTech. Others have had very good experiences; this is just my own.

Bottom line is I expect better for the $$ I paid. This isn't cheap by any means.

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Not in the least
Old 02-15-11, 11:14 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Sorry I couldn't help you back then. Motherboards are not related to lighting fixes. Just wanted to try and help out with a replacement I had laying around.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-15-11 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-15-11, 11:24 AM
SC & LS 40
Driver School Candidate

Default Never another penny

He first did my dash needles, everything seemed fine.

I sent him my stereo & HVAC units. They failed right out of the box and had to be replaced.

Then the dash needles failed.

His response: a profanity filled e-mail.

He will never see another penny of mine.

A local mechanic found a firm in Calf. that repaired my SC’s dash needles and my wife’s LS HVAC display with excelent results and service. I have heard about a shop in Tacoma WA that does the repair work. Shop around and good luck!

I expect this thread will soon be closed, Lextech does not like negative comments.
Old 02-15-11, 11:51 AM
jer_con
Rookie

Thanks for demonstrating your poor attitude towards former customers for everyone OLT. Personally, I appreciate knowing that mainboards weren't your job and the whole incident was simply my own stupidity. Your post will certainly help make me better person by understanding "why you can't help people"

Enough said.

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
^That is why you can't help people. Give the guy a mainboard from a personal unit that has nothing to do with LLS service in any way and he complains. Call Lexus next time because people won't be helping you after seeing this. Should have left it broken. That's why I sold LLS.
Old 02-15-11, 12:19 PM
User1321989
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had mixed issues with them as well....

#1 is the attitude, I realize that repeated questions get old and annoying in a hurry, but to get smart responses on everything is rather annoying as well.

#2 My cluster was sent out with ALL light AND needles in working condition. YES, I was one of the few who just wanted a different color scheme....Got the cluster back with one side smashed in, was still usable and mountable, but considering this was the first time out for the cluster since 1992 and I got it back damaged I was pissed....
I asked them what happened and they said it was "MY FAULT" EVEN THOUGH THEY SHIPPED THE CLUSTER TO ME!!!

#3 Worked fine, although it seemed to have a lot of "dull" spots that were not nearly as bright as the other parts of the gauge...

#4 Temp needle went out,(almost 8 months to the date it was shipped back) I re-shipped it back, got it returned with no results...now I have paid $25 dollars to ship it out and back with still a busted needle....

Bottom line, I have paid a pretty penny for their service and lack of customer service, they are very arrogant and have horrible customer service. Even though I'm a stickler for having all the "little things" working properly I have learned to live with the broken temp needle light until I find a local repair shop...

I gave a little slack to Lextech, since I own a business myself and realize that sometimes everyday isnt perfect, but too many chances to redeem themselves and all have resulted in failure after failure, I prefer to take my business elsewhere, I have heard a 50/50 mix of good and bad stories, but its 40 too many bad stories for me....

I'm really surprised there has not been any legal repercussions against them, class action type, since there seems to be a fair amount of problems and issues.

If they owned up to issues the second time around, (given the first time I paid for shipping) I would reconsider my views of them.

But with their, "Well, its broken so you send it in on your own dime, dummy" kind of attitude no thanks....

Future buyer beware, flip a coin, or consult your Magic 8 Ball on whether or not you will get good service and a good product....

kikcaffine - my apologies for going on my little rant, I suggest going to a local American hot rod shop and see who does their speedo calibrations, if nothing else they might be able point you in a good direction...

Last edited by User1321989; 02-15-11 at 12:25 PM. Reason: edit to kikcaffine
Old 02-15-11, 12:31 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

I thought about sending mine to get white needles, I emailed them asking about 95 red needles and whether it can be made white, I got an email back with a link attached to the FAQ section. I guess I was stupid to not look there first, but the response turned me away.
I have nothing against them in the work that they do because I never did ask for their service, but seriously, communication skills needs to be worked on when you're dealing with first time customers, some patience is often needed.
Old 02-15-11, 12:34 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

oh and BTW, you can always buy a set of working needles from ebay, the needles themselves are easy to replace, pull off and push in. You do run a risk of them burning out eventually but from what people are saying here, sending it to get it redone isn't much of a guarantee no matter where you go anyways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauge needle repair?